Star Trek

What Are Little Girls Made Of?

Aired Unknown Oct 20, 1966 on NBC

• Kirk discovers a dangerous experiment being run by one of his crewman's former lovers.

This episode has an old time sci fi feel to it (and a touch of Frankenstein) but is best remembered as "the android episode" or "the episode where Sherry Jackson is wearing that incredible outfit"

Most of the episode takes place on a planet, beneath the surface, with five characters: Kirk and Nurse Chapel (Majel Barrett) from the Enterprise, and Dr. Roger Korby the genius (Michael Strong), Ruk the scary android (Ted Cassidy, . Lurtz), Andrea the megahot android (Sherry Jackson), and Kirk the evil android (William Shatner). (Yes, another double role for the leading man, though this time because one is our Kirk and the other is a machine, it's more interesting than "The Enemy Within").

If this episode were to be made later in its run, Star Trek would likely add a shipboard story to give Spock, McCoy, and the others more to do; indeed, it would be interesting if Spock were to mount a rescue party and accidentally save the wrong Kirk, with the android "captain" finding ways to avoid a physical from McCoy. As is, Spock appears only briefly and McCoy, Scotty, and Sulu don't appear at all. The focus remains primarily on the planet (with dialogue Gene Roddenberry was literally writing at the last minute, scrambling to finish up Robert Bloch's script during the shoot). Dr. Korby believes androids are great, because they don't have feelings of hate or jealousy whereas Kirk believes they are dangerous because they don't have compassion. Inside this framework, the characters have some nice philosophical debates, with action mixed in as Kirk repeatedly tries to get back to his ship. (There's even a question about existence. If we put our mind into an android body to achieve immortality, is the android still us? Kirk seems to think not).

James Goldstone doesn't cut the same pace here as "Where No Man Has Gone Before", but he keeps the wheels from falling of the wagon, giving the story enough movement (and enough shots of Sherry Jackson) to keep things interesting. Sadly, he doesn't get a third chance to sit in the director's chair (likely because production ran two days over schedule, although Shatner intentionally messing up his kissing scenes with Jackson so he could redo them probably didn't help).

Also, I don't know if I mentioned this, but Shirley Jackson is in this episode, and she's smoking hot. (Nurse Chapel gets a good line in. When Korby asks her if she thinks he could love an android, she says, "Did you?" rather than "Do you?" Her real question is rather clear). Looking beyond Jackson's appearance, she really does give a good performance, giving Andrea a childlike innocence that Brent Spiner would tap into in Star Trek: The Next Generation. (Actually, it's too bad Andrea only makes a one time appearance as opposed to a coming on board the ship as a recurring character. As an android like Data, she'd lend herself to some interesting character moments and stories).

In the end, "Little Girls" is fine early Trek, but Kirk and Nurse Chapel aren't nearly as interesting as Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

Remastered: With so much of the episode taking place underground, there's little for the CGI experts to do except for the "beauty passes" of the Enterprise in orbit and the planet itself.

• Two Captain Kirk's.... again

This episode is about a Dr. Roger Corby. He has not been heard from in 5 years. He found some caves on the planet he was studying to hide in from the extreme cold. Turns out he met an android from the old civilization there and he learns how to make these androids himself. He can clone people basically, transfer all the memories and everything into a robot. Its a decent episode and Dr. Corby's protector, Brock, looks pretty menacing. By the end Kirk seems to make all the androids short out because of his " superior logic ". And Spock gets called a half breed... a little intergalactic racism for the audience.
  • A decent introduction to Nurse Chapel and a terrible android episode

This episode serves as Nurse Chapel's introduction and one of the few episodes focused on her. She's a good character played by an interesting actress: she's tough enough to have played the XO in the first Star Trek pilot. That's just about the only good thing about the episode. There's very little Spock or Bones and Kirk's involvement in the story is boring.

The rest of it is focused on a mad scientist and his androids. And what a terrible exploration of androids it is! This scientist, who is Chapel's lost fiance, can create android versions of people that retain their memories and personality. Yet his android version of his assistant has no recollection of Chapel, even though she knew him well.

It's not that there are a few plot holes like that, it's that the androids are so poorly thought out that they don't raise any interesting questions. The scientist wants to make the entire human race into androids to give people immortal life, and Kirk objects because humanity could then be programmed. But programming isn't the problem with the androids in this episode. All of them end up doing irrational, emotional things. So what's the problem with androids - are they TOO emotional? It's never explained at all.

There is an android version of Kirk in this story, but he doesn't make a lick of sense. The evil Kirk in the episode "The Enemy Within" was easily understandable - he was Kirk's Id, capable of acting on all of his darkest desires without restraint. The clone Kirk tries to replace Kirk on the Enterprise but acts nothing like him, being horribly mean to Spock. There's no explanation for this at all. Apparently the clones in this story just randomly act mean to people, even though it completely undermines their ability to infiltrate society. That's just bad writing.

This episode should be skipped by all but the most die hard Nurse Chapel fans.
  • Roots for the film Bladerunner?

This is a great Star Trek Episode for fans of Sci-Fi. Kudos to the writers for Star Trek doing them first as several plot roots were taken from the show and re-done for my fav film Bladerunner. ! Notably, the scenes where Kirk says "Kiss Me" to the female Android and the scene where Kirk is chased but eventually pulled up and saved by Ruk from falling into the chasm. Also the Android memories(Kirk) could also be another plot idea developed further in Bladerunner.

A good and classic episode that anyone who loved the film Bladerunner should watch just to see the similarities!
  • Kirk and Nurse Chapel beam down to Exo III for Chapel to reunite with her old fiancé Dr. Korby, but the scientist turns out to be working on creating androids in a plan for galactic conquest. Although camp and kitsch in places, a very good episode...

This review contains moderate spoilers.

This episode is very kitsch in places, and has a very dated feel to it, but that doesn't stop it from being a very enjoyable outing.

It is one of the few that really gives Nurse Christine Chapel much to do, and it is nice to see another character, especially a semi-regular one, to get some of the limelight for a change.

I really like the giant Rok (played by Ted Cassidy from 'The Adams Family'). He towers above Kirk and is really menacing.

The whole method of creating androids is very silly and 1960s looking – at times, it looks like something out of 1960s 'Batman' or the like; but again, if you're willing to just go with it, it makes for a likeable story.
    The camp & kitch-ness continues as Kirk forces a kiss on Andrea, as if to try and overheat her (!) and cause her to doubt her programming. Only in '60s 'Trek'!

A few episodes ago, in 'The Enemy Within', we saw a duplicate of Captain Kirk, and here in this episode, we see another, this time an android. There are some good split-screen techniques considering the limitations of the time, and I always like 'evil double' stories.

If I have to be critical, it is the conclusion of the story; it all seems so rushed and forced. Rok, who was such a imposing villain, is just suddenly killed off with a phaser, and Andrea (who is one of the best looking guest 'Trek' girls, in my opinion!), presumably after overheating when Kirk kissed her (!), suddenly decides that the best solution is to phaser both herself and Dr. Korby. …I don't know, after such a promising story, involving the construction of androids, I just expected more from the ending.

But the slightly disappointing ending is the only weak thing about an otherwise very enjoyable episode.
    It's very dated looking and quite different from some of the more serious stories of later 'Trek' incarnations (which I was not such a fan of), but if you like bright, colourful 1960s sci-fi, then this is a good place to look.
  • Loved this episode,with Lurch from The Addams Family as the big crazy alien.Ruk picked Kirk up like a baby and thows him across the room like nothing,I like when Kirk is out match sometimes.

Kirk and Nurse Chapel beam down to this Dr.Corby lab where he has androids.And these androids kill their master hundreds of years ago.Now Dr.Corby think he can make think better by making people androids too; nobody wants to be an android no matter how long you live.Harry Mudd tried the same thing in Mudd's Women.Humans love being human when given a chance not to be human they always try not be to human.And alway die trying not to be human.Anriods want to be and better than humans and humans well we're to crazy to be anthing else.
  • Kiss me, slap me, any way you want me.

The Enterprise goes on a mission to find Doctor Roger Korby, the fiancé of Nurse Chapel. Once down on the planet, two security members are mysteriously killed and the reuniting of the lovers doesn’t quite go as planned, as Korby has other matters of concern.

The episode kicks off with nothing much at all. The plot is developed a little, enough to set up the rest of the episode but as a whole, nothing much happens and performances seem dry. The actors themselves seem pretty disconnected from the story at first but as the episode goes on and others are put into the mix, chemistry does arise thankfully. The drama in the episode finally arrives when we find out that there is something going on after the second red shirt is seen being silenced by a giant guy in a padded suit. However, five minutes later the mystery that makes it so compelling is lifted when we find out what exactly is going on and all cards are on the table.

It turns out that Korby has been researching Android technology after he found Ruk (the big bald guy) still working down in the caves long after his people had left the planet. Korby explains that he wanted to show only Kirk his findings as he does not want suspicion or worries to override the principal matter which is the benefits such technology could have. He eventually does make a good point, asking Kirk how many discoveries and inventions had been stopped from going further because of such human suspicions. It’s an amusing statement from the obviously biased scientist but is certainly thought provoking, however Kirk has none of it and still demands he be able to contact his ship to which Korby denies over and over.

Throughout the episode Kirk and Korby share good lines of dialogue back and forth between each other involving the degree of control each Android has. One of which involves an amusing scene where Chapel voices her suspicions on her fiancé’s involvement with one of his ‘female’ androids. I couldn’t blame her, it did seem suspicious, especially with the uniform he had he roam around with. Korby then goes on to demonstrate that he could not love a machine, because the machine cannot love back, it simply follows instructions with no emotion involved. He then asks Andrea to kiss Kirk, then to strike him, to which she carries out unquestionably, and emotion it seems is something that she cannot compute.

Following this, Korby then uses Kirk as an example of how well his Androids can be made. We see both Kirk and the doctor seated a table after the cloning process and we do believe that it is Kirk at the table with her, but find out that it is indeed the android clone. This is a nice twist and it certainly caught me off guard at first. Most importantly is shows us the degree of complexity that the androids go to mimic their models, making it very hard to tell them apart from the real thing. What I enjoyed even more however was when the real Kirk comes into the room and engages in conversation with himself, without the need for any double/camera trickery that we seen in ‘The Enemy Within’. I don’t know how they did it, but it was successful and did look like two Kirks, sharing a debate at the table.

Moments later after the android Kirk has left, Korby and Kirk begin to argue the advantages and disadvantages of Korby’s proposal of an emotionless android race to replace humankind’s emotionally unstable existence. The arguments both present are very interesting and offer a view into debates that are still present in today’s society, and of course have been present in many studies of instances of robotic and analytical societies that many leaders have imposed on their country’s people. Kirk rejects the idea of a ‘perfect’ race free of war or conflict, proclaiming that without emotion all you have is programming without love or compassion and that in itself can be dangerous. What Kirk doesn’t seem to take into consideration is that his second officer who doesn’t claim any emotion as his own, isn’t exactly dangerous to his crew, in fact he’s quite the opposite and ends up saving Kirk himself in a way by the end of the episode. Eventually Kirk swallows a huge irony supplement pill and goes on to choke Korby to make his escape. We see a destructive side of his emotion in which he puts another at harm but we also see that it serves a good purpose in a way. You could call it the perfect example of an emotional beings approach to life, which rounds off the debate pretty well on both character’s terms.

For an episode concerning the issue of emotion though, there’s not a lot of it where needed in ‘WALGMO’. With the exception of the final scenes of Korby and Andrea and the short moment between android Kirk and Spock, there isn’t much to be found and it does hinder it quite a bit.

At the closing moments of the episode we begin to see that Korby’s androids aren’t quite as emotionally detached as he had previously stated, nor are they morally superior and above killing. These moments come from a couple of scenes involving Andrea, first with Kirk exploiting her emotions with a kiss, then when she accidentally kills android Kirk when he refuses to kiss her again, unaware that it is not the real captain. Kirk then goes on to proclaim that Korby’s flawless creations –which now include himself after a small fight that torn his skin to reveal machinery- kill with no more concern than when they turn off a light; they are no more perfect than that which they seek to replace and be better than. Eventually giving up his arrogance and handing over his phaser to Kirk, Korby realises that he has went wrong, that his work has failed. Andrea however, does not give up so easily, confessing her true desire to follow orders for Korby, one of which may or may not have been to love him, but she confirms it before kissing him in front of nurse Chapel and Kirk; a confession of all confessions. The scene is then brought to close perfectly when Korby uses Andrea phaser to kill them both whilst they share the kiss, in a tragic ending that rounds off the episode most poignant moment. Chapel is obviously stunted by what is just happened but I personally had a greater feeling of sympathy for the ‘villains’ by the time the credits rolled.

“Doctor Korby was never here” Kirk says when Spock arrives just after the events but was he really? Nothing of this matter is ever really expanded on and it seems it’s up to us to decide. How much of Korby was really there if he did have emotion as we were led to believe? How much was really missing and how much did it matter? Was it the android transformation that had changed him, well yes, it probably had in some way or another but I’d say time itself was the real reason, which in itself is more than natural. Are we ever really who we were 5 years ago? Probably not.
  • Kirk gets kissed and slapped in the same breath

Simply well done. Just very entertaining to watch. Not only the storyline, but Andrea. Sorry to be such a male chauvinist pig, but she was third only to "Marta" from "Whom God's Destroy" and "Kelinda" from "By any other name" in terms of beauty. Hey, we should have a rating system for Star Trek women. Can you imagine the heated debates? Has anybody seen the blooper reel where Uhura and a few other people are dancing on top of Roger Korby's spinning android making machine? That is hilarious with Ruk walking around in the back round all smiles.