Star Trek

Who Mourns for Adonais?

Aired Unknown Sep 22, 1967 on NBC

7.4
  • All I could do was think how Lt Palamas would have enjoyed "Large Apollo" if he had won

As with most TOS outings, the blu-ray's new f/x elevate the proceedings to a believable level, but come on... this episode is too simple and simply shallow, even for TREK circa 1966.

An alien, claiming to be the Greek god Apollo, ensnares the ship with a force field (shaped like his hand, a very big hand it seems), and wants to crush the ship if the crew don't worship him 24/7. Kirk and crew have to stop him before he treats the ship like a giant beer can. Yeah, one would have to have drank a lot of beer to be able to sit through this episode.

The alien claiming to be Apollo is well-acted, and it's easy to see why Kirk would object to herding sheep, eating lamb chops, not getting to the 3rd season episode written by the creator of Lamb Chop (Shari Lewis), and making itchy wool sweaters in effigy for the rest of his life, but good grief - this episode is a turkey, which makes me pine for the horrendously awful "The Alternative Factor" or "The Galileo Seven".

As usual, Scotty is protective and sexist toward the token female object of the hour and just about gets killed. Granted, he is wearing a red shirt, but that's okay - in TNG and its spinoffs, if you were a yellow shirt you'd be killed (or at least getting your pants the same shade of yellow if you got sufficiently

Kirk states that his one God is sufficient - whether that's the one that says it's a sin to eat cows, or the one that says it's a sin to eat anything that isn't a cow is still up for debate... Either of them is preferable to a deity belonging to a culture that practiced molestation of boys, but in 1967 or now I doubt that the premise of beings visiting Earth, going away, and humans finding them would be explored in any serious manner. Even "Plato's Stepchildren", which is a harsher yet more watchable tale, doesn't go into detail about how humanity's ancient cultures behaved... so in that respect, it's easy to believe Kirk's defiance...

Obviously, there's not much to really say about this one - except "skip it, next please". Unless you like eye candy, especially in the form of eye candy, especially if you can appreciate both genders. Just turn off the brain, turn on the thing that makes you enjoy eye candy, and let the next 51 minutes whiz right by... but it's nowhere near the level of intellectualism that it could or deserves to be.

• Not a bad exploration of power, vanity, corruption, and pulling the plug on it all. Certainly better than some installments and light years ahead of any weekly TV science fiction of the time.

Kirk must thwart the ambitions of the Greek god Apollo, now a refugee in space and seeking worshippers in the 23rd century.

There is a lot of this episode that's not really any different than "The Apple", but there are a few more novel concepts here. Long before "Chariots of the Gods", the supposition that powerful aliens may have formed the basis of Earth myth is interesting. It's nuts of course, but a unique idea to come to sci-fi TV in the 60s.

The character of Apollo is well-played, a nice mix of arrogance and sentimentality. Leslie Parrish may actually be better than Madelyn Rhue ("Space Seed") as the female who falls for the "superman". Weak points include the scripting of Scotty, he has little of his ability and his lines are all insanely over-dramatic screams as he lunges at the superior being (also in the scripting department, the dialog before the opening credits is some of the most sexist of the series). The scientific mumbo-jumbo aboard the Enterprise re-inforces the story well, as Spock and crew play a major role in solving the problem from orbit.

Perhaps a little more could have been invested in explaining why the superficial aspect of worship is so important to Apollo before his ultimate defeat, but there is some pathos at his demise and a definite sense that he is at least a sympathetic anachronism. Overall, not bad.
  • The Enterprise is ensnared by the Greek god Apollo, who has decided that the time has come for mankind to worship him again.

This episode was ahead of its time in a way. One year after it first aired (in 1967), the book "Chariots of the Gods?"explored the same theme (the idea that aliens visited the ancient civilizations of earth) and the idea became a pop culture phenomenon. That said, the idea isn't explored too well in this Star Trek episode which suffers from a poor script. Michael Forest, who plays Apollo, and Leslie Parrish, who plays Carolyn are both great, and Fred Steiner's score is good, too. But while the episode has its moments (the ending is particularly poignant), as a whole there's something clearly lacking with the story. It adds up to a rather forgettable installment of Trek.
  • The Enterprise encounters an alien proclaiming to be the Greek God Apollo.

"You're no God to us Mister!!!" LMAO

A classic Star Trek episode in every sense. Surprisingly great special effects, a great story and a battle of wills between Kirk and a alien making himself to be the God Apollo.

Sure some of these elements have been reused as others have posted but to me what matters most is if the episode is entertaining. It was entertaining to me.

The special effects were good as well especially the scenes showing Apollo such as him becoming a giant right before the crew's rise. A nicely shot scene.
    Although Star Trek was notorious for some outdated effects, they really made you feel like these things were happening for real.

Great acting by the cast and guest stars. Shatner as usual commands the screen when he has the chance.

Although the Enterprise has been prone to violence, this is an episode where that is warranted. Apollo is cruel, violent and unmerciful. He forces the enterprises to beam down to the planet to where he is and worship him for life.

Kirk and the crew try to discuss a way of breaking this God, or alien or whatever he is.

It has a lot of issues dealing with the whole Gods myth and how we deviated from Gods. It's a funny thing we don't worship Gods but now have substituted to worship other things like technology.

Nice entertaining episode.
  • The Enterprise is literally grabbed by a giant energy field in the form of a hand. The cause is a being who claims to be Greek God Apollo, who holds the ship captive and insists the beam down party worship him. Far from perfect, but this one appeals to me

This is a far from perfect 'Star Trek' episode, but I still like this one. Not only does it have a reasonably story, but I have always loved tales of the Greek Gods, and am a huge fan of later, such themed shows such as 'Hercules: The Legendary Journeys' and 'Xena: Warrior Princess' (all episodes of which I have reviewed on this site, by the way). So an episode that revolves around a powerful alien claiming to be Apollo instantly appeals to me.

The special effects highlight of the episode is undoubtedly the giant hand which literally grabs the Enterprise. For the limited special effects and budget of the time, it is a great image (note that I am reviewing the original version of the episode; I have not seen the enhanced remastered versions as yet).

The episode also has some good moments for the supporting crew members. Chekov comes across as very intelligent (I like the line about Spock "contaminating him") and likable, and proves to be a good addition to the cast; Uhura gets to do some space-age soldering, and – although I didn't find his attraction to 'guest crew member of the episode' Lt. Carolyn Palamas all that convincing, Scotty also had some good moments. He did seem a little dumb to keep trying to attack Apollo, only to be repeatedly sent flying with a 'thunderbolt', but that's love for you!

This is another episode that deals with a powerful alien being 'toying' with the Enterprise and her crew, something which had already been done in several first season episodes ("The Squire of Gothos" immediately springs to mind), and something that even by the early second season was becoming something of a cliché of the series. It is true that it does have somewhat of a 'seen it before' feel, but at the same time, it still makes for a watchable episode.

The only downside of the story is that it does seem a little stretched to fill the episode. The giant hand in space is thrilling, and the first scenes down on the planet surface as the landing party meet Apollo are intriguing – could it be that he really is the ancient Greek God, who visited Earth thousands of years ago? But later on, the story does lose momentum slightly. I would have liked to have seen the possibility of it being the real Apollo being dealt with in more depth.

At the end of the story, I was unsure if the being really was Apollo or not – it was indicated that he may well have been, but never felt to be truly decided one way or another.

All-in-all, a good episode. I'm not sure if it's quite strong enough to be considered a classic of the series, but I like it all the same.
  • The landing party and Apollo play out an unfolding melodrama among the astroturf, faux marble, and wax fruit that constitute Apollo's habitation.

At face value, the storyline is rather simple, and nothing entirely new - the landing party is forced to the planet's surface by the quintessentially naughty alien, solely for the amusement of this dubious lifeform. In this case, the alien is the apparently very-much-alive Greek god Apollo. However, what makes this so much more tolerable than some other troublemaker like Trelane is that Apollo is played by the exquisitely beautiful Michael Forest, who has a physique deserving of the revealing gold lamee costume chosen for him (he does discreetly keep his knees together when sitting on his throne).

Beyond the arch-villain, you gotta love the "treats" in this episode - the men all gossiping in the beginning about the latest hottie on board (Lt. Palamas), speculating a few feet away from her whether she really is career material or doesn't just want to find a man; Uhura getting all mechanical underneath her communications board with what appears to be one of those giant, clear pens that they give away at carnivals; Lt. Palamas' radiant afterglow after her tryst in the glen with Apollo; the crew hurling themselves across the bridge when the ship feels the turbulence of Apollo's hand; the perpetual soft lens and back lighting used every time Palamas is given a close-up; Chekov's ultra-conditioned 'do, the body of his mop which would have been the envy of Paul, George, John, and Ringo.

Among other treats are the zinging one-liners:
    Apollo saying about Spock, "He is much like Pan, and Pan always bored me." Lt. Palamas to Apollo, "Why, I could no more love you than a new species of bacteria!" Kirk to Lt. Palamas, squeezing her hand passionately, "Human flesh against human flesh!" with the implication being, "Apollo's not the only one around here who can make a woman out of you!" and finally, after totally demolishing Apollo's surrounds and making him into a constellation, Kirk woefully muses to McCoy, "Would it have hurt us to gather a few laurels?" Um...maybe should have thought of that about five seconds before giving the order to Spock to pulverize his temple?

Exactly why I watch this series and for several reasons: I can never entirely judge Star Trek on factors such as plotlines and dialogue. For me, episodes that contain these special tidbits always boost their value.
  • With a wave of a hand, Apollo gives the guys a cheap thrill at looking at some leggy blond in seductive outfit

6.9
    I forget who, but this is one of the main character's favorite episode. It might be Walter Koenig. (Chekov) I remember I was at a Star Trek convention in the 70's and someone asked which their favorite episode was. The solution to the episode reminded me very much like the solution to "The Apple". I was never a great fan of repeated solution themes. I'm glad Scotty moved on to whoever the next girl he had a crush on (Mira Romaine? - The Lights of Zetar) because I don't think Lt. Palamas was quite taken with Scotty the way he was with her. The story of my life, by the way.
  • Here we go again …

It’s funny how just when STAR TREK had delivered an enormously original episode like “Amok Time” it would somehow falter, slip backwards and deliver a clunker like “Who Mourns for Adonis” …

It’s not that it's a bad story, or even a bad idea, but it re-uses familiar elements from earlier stories that would eventually become the worse clichés of the STAR TREK experience, guaranteed to elicit a groan from any right-thinking Trekster (or whatever the acceptable term may be these days).

This episode cynically reuses the powerful being toying with the Enterprise element from “Squire of Gothos” and the female crewman falls for powerful enemy of the Enterprise element from “Space Seed” and thus is eminently predictable.

Its only saving grace is the idea that the pantheon of Greek gods may well have been space travellers whose advanced technology was seen as godlike powers by the simple shepherds of ancient Greece … but that’s a thin margin to base an episode on.