Star Trek

Wink of an Eye

Aired Unknown Nov 29, 1968 on NBC

7.6
  • After responding to a distress call, Captain Kirk is abducted and accelerated by a group of Scalosians, humanoid aliens that move faster than human sight or hearing can detect.

This episode has a great sci fi premise; unfortunately, it's poorly executed. The idea of having different characters move at different speeds opens up some great possibilities for drama, mystery, and eeriness. And indeed, in the episode it's fun to see the foreground characters carrying out their conversations and actions at regular speed while the background characters slowly continue at their own speed, trying to figure out what's going on. But even upon first viewing the episode, it quickly becomes apparent that the writer, director, and actors have no clue how to handle the comparable speeds of the different characters; and the episode, as a result, doesn't make much sense. They should have saved this concept for the animated series.
  • Lousy physics, so-so characterization

6.4
    Unfortunately Wink of an Eye embodies all that is... average about Season 3. It's not a particularly original s.f. idea, since H.G. Wells invented the concept and Wild Wild West used it a year or so previously (and several shows have used it since). In WWW the baroque science concepts kind of allow for it, but in the "harder" s.f. Trek setting, it's just silly.

It's also very representative of Season 3 because the focus is on Kirk and Spock. Compton might have been an interesting character, a Bailey or Styles from the first season, but instead he's some schmuck we've never seen of, disappears before we even find out about him, and shows up only to briefly ignore the captain then come to his aid and die.

So it's the Kirk & Spock show. Kirk gets the girl and Spock plays detective. McCoy gets to whip up a cure in about an hour that has defied the best efforts of the Scalosian scientists over decades, but he doesn't have much to say.

Jason Evers is his dependable stolid "Hey, it's that guy, what's-his-face!" 60s actor. So the show really rests on the shoulders of Kathie Browne, Darren McGavin's wife and another one of those "Hey, it's that woman, what's-her-face!" actresses of the 60s. She gives a great in-depth performance here, and her "At least allow me the dignity..." speech is oddly touching. She varies between puckish, ruthless, and sympathetic, and her reaction when Kirk "adjusts" is well done as well.

Unfortunately despite Mrs. Browne's assets (and William Ware Theiss' costume design), the episode doesn't really overcome the bad karma of the goofy concept. It's watchable, but just barely.
  • Eye Candy!

A group of endangered people calling themselves the Scalossans took over the enterprise and kidnapped Captaain Kirk. That's coming from a race that them crew can't see, except you only hearing the buzz in the air. The leader of the group is very sexy nan and falls for Kirk. but the crew made an attempt to getting the crue in rescing Kirk and reclamed the enterprise. Theis is yet another epiosde when the enterprise is capture by a foe, yet a foe noone can see and they may have succeed if not for Kirk's plan, which may have backfire on those taking over the ship.
  • If Kirk has told the crew once, he’s told the crew a thousand times, “Bring bottled water from home on these type expeditions”, but does Compton listen? No!

I totally agree with a lot of the trivia remarks about this show. And since I am a video editor by profession, the time and speed rate that the Scolotians were moving at was way, way, way off! It was loaded with so many errors, it bothered me probably more so than most people. However, I am able to put most of those things aside. Just like we can put aside that all the aliens happen to speak English or every vessel in space happens to meet another ship on the same perfect, X,Y,Z plane that it’s counter ship is at. The concept of a different race moving at a different speed is still interesting, so I still was able to enjoy the episode.
  • After the Enterprise visits planet Scalos, strange things begin happening. Kirk discovers that "time accelerated" aliens have come aboard the ship and are trying to take it over to use the crew as 'genetic stock'. An intriguing tale...

It is often said that the third season is the weakest of the Original Series' three seasons, and I agree with that. But that said, here we get another enjoyable episode, the third in a row (following "The Tholian Web" and "Plato's Stepchildren", both of which I also really liked).

Some don't like this episode, and indeed there are some major nitpicks and inconsistencies. But in fairness, that can be said for a huge chunk of 'Trek' episodes if you look closely enough; I find it better to put those niggles aside and enjoy this intriguing story.

The story of 'high speed' aliens is a good one; probably one of the third season's most interesting ideas, in my opinion. At first you are left to wonder what the high pitched 'buzzing' is, and the explanation unfolds well.

Deela is well played by Kathie Browne, adding another 'Star Trek' beauty to the ranks. Her character and Kirk's work well together, and I felt there really was a spark between them.

Along with the first season's "Operation –- Annihilate!", this is one of my very first memories of watching 'Star Trek', or indeed any television in general. I was about three or four years old, and I can clearly remember the aliens moving at high speed, sounding like flies, and Mr. Spock working out to slow down Kirk's message.
    (It is possible that "Operation -– Annihilate!" and this episode were shown close together, as the BBC's run of the series in the 1970s/1980s often jumped around the seasons and followed little pattern).

All-in-all, although this isn't a commonly popular episode, I personally like it enough to give it a very reasonable 9.5 rating.