Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Bombad Jedi

Aired Saturday 9:30 AM Nov 21, 2008 on Cartoon Network

7.1
  • Padme brings Threepio and Jar Jar to Rodia to reinforce their relationship with the Republic. Little do they know the planet has already allied with the Separatists and it's up to Jar Jar to rescue Padme when she's taken prisoner.

This episode did what previously I would have thought not possible: it made Jar Jar less annoying and somewhat likable. I wasn't really sure why this was watching it. Maybe it was making Threepio the straight man, or maybe the writers of the Clone Wars are better than Lucas was in Episode I at writing dialogue for everyone's favorite (or not) Gungan. Maybe it was just getting to see two of the movie alums, Ahmed Best and Anthony Daniels, getting to work together "onscreen" in this cartoon spinoff. For whatever reason, Jar Jar and his place in the story fit, as he bumbled through attempts to rescue Padme and save the day, in the process making an unlikely friend (it was a freakin' swamp slug! Those things have intrigued me ever since I saw Ralph McQuarrie's picture of one. Okay, it might not be one, but it looks close enough). And he even managed to come up with a halfway competent plan in the climax of the story. So I have to hand it to Jar Jar in this one. He managed to do some things right and wasn't as grating in the process. And after getting another VA for the following Jar Jar episodes, we really had no idea how good we had it with Best.