Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Cargo of Doom

Aired Saturday 9:30 AM Oct 02, 2009 on Cartoon Network

• Anakin and Ahsoka track Cad Bane down to Devaron, where the bounty hunter has taken a Jedi prisoner in order to open his stolen holocron. As the Jedi board to get the holocron back, Bane hatches his own sinister plan.

The second part of the two-part premiere gave a higher amount of action and thrill than the first episode, not to mention a few less logic defying choices as far as the story goes. It's a more straightforward story than the first episode and a bit simpler, which I think actually helped it play to its strength. Anakin and Ahsoka are together again, fighting beside Rex and his boys with Yularen shaking his head at the insanity of it all. It's similar to some of the season 1 formula, but at a larger scale as the production team gets more experienced and more resources to draw on.

We get the return of battle droid humor, which really isn't that grating, while at the same time getting a somewhat effective use of the droids when Bane gets a large number to take on Anakin and his small number of troops. The zero gravity scene may be the highlight of the episode action-wise, as we see our heroes adapt to it and Bane try to turn things to his advantage. It's cool to see. The other major part of the episode is the climax, as Ahsoka disobeys orders (again, much like last ep) to go after Bane only to get overmatched by the hunter's deception. And that leads to Anakin presenting one of his major flaws, his attachments to others and willingness to sacrifice the many to save the few. Or the one. After a very positive, heroic portrayal through much of the first season, it's good to get the little hints such as here that we know will one day lead Anakin to his fall. A tense escape from the exploding ship wraps up a very entertaining episode.