Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Children of the Force

Aired Saturday 9:30 AM Oct 09, 2009 on Cartoon Network

• Subpar, at best

This episode was a little disappointing, but very much expected. Cad Bane is an extreme annoyance; I mean who can this guy NOT top? You're telling me he is smarter, more cunning, and better suited than Mace Windu? He is a bounty hunter, right? Extremely unbelievable. But, I cant downgrade the episode due to it. That is just Filoni's style, absurd and irrational. As I posted on the forums, the "camera" work of the episode was its best quality. Also, Ahsoka's progression is always a great thing for me to watch. She's my staple to this series, she keeps me interested. I think that stems from not knowing anything about her, or what is going to happen to her.

Another thing that really irritates me: Cad Bane outsmarted a 501st Legion Clone. Yea, yea: I know the Ewoks did it. I mean, at least that was a fight. The guy outsmarted, and disposed of a 501st in like a few seconds time. That really happened last episode, but its ramifications were seen here.
  • As Cad Bane uses the unlocked holocron and crystal to track down and kidnap Force-sensitive infants, Anakin, Ahsoka, Obi-Wan, and Mace must race to stop him before Bane's employer fulfills his nefarious plans.

Similarly to the first episode of the season, I found this one to be a bit lacking. It's another one with cool moments that don't quite add up to make a completely solid episode. Seeing Mustafar again is interesting and of course brings back strong imagery from the movie. Cad Bane still manages to get a few moves in and give the Jedi a run for their money. Probably the best, and probably most disturbing scene is the tag team probe of Cad's mind that Mace, Obi-Wan, and Anakin perform together. It's a little frightening to see the Jedi resort to what appears to be some form of mind torture, and I can't help but wonder if that's a commentary on some issues running through the world today. And if it is, it's also interesting that it doesn't completely work, since although Bane leads Mace and Obi-Wan to the holocron, as Mace points out on the way "of course it's a trap". As Yoda has said in the past, in this war, the Jedi risk losing who they are, and one can't help but wonder if the mental attack on Bane is something that is clearly showing that. Other than those moments, however, the episode felt a little disjointed. With the planet jumping, multiple plot threads, and rushed pace, what probably should have felt layered felt a bit shallow. Overall not a bad effort, but still not quite to the quality that was seen in much of season one.
  • A very good episode. But i hope Mr Lucas will change the future of Star Wars. It can stuck. It already was...

A very good episode. But i hope Mr Lucas will change the future of Star Wars.
    It can stuck.
    It already was but last 5-6 episodes and new season of the clone wars going well.
    We all know about Anakin, obi wan ecc ecc but here we have a great story about siths and great graphic off Old republic.
    I love clone wars but seriously i am waiting for old republic tv series. I dont care if it is anime or cartoon but old republic and star wars galaxy needs a new story.
    I am a bit bored with the dull darth vader story.. we loved him in 80s not in 2000 :)
  • A compelling episode...

A compelling episode with an imaginative plot this, episode is a good omen for the second series of The Clone Wars. If the show continues to air episodes like this then this series will be even better than the first.

The only thing that worries me is that I can see things easily getting quite repetitive with Cad Bane and the idea that in each episode he'll probably be caught and then escape again towards the end of the episode.

While that would be quite typical of the Saturday Morning Cartoon feel that The Clone Wars seems to emulate, it could get very boring quite quickly! Lets hope they don't go down that route.