Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Dooku Captured

Aired Saturday 9:30 AM Jan 02, 2009 on Cartoon Network

• Anakin's and Obi-Wan's plan to capture Count Dooku runs into a snag when both ships crash land on the same planet. Dooku finds trouble of his own when he encounters a group of opportunistic pirates.

The first time I watched this episode, I remember being rather underwhelmed with it. I remember not quite buying the fact that Dooku, a rather capable Sith and former Jedi, could be taken in by a group of not all that intimidating pirates. Seeing it again, some of the still nags, but not as much this time, making the story a little more believable and easier to take. In either case, the episode has its moments, many occurring between Anakin and Obi-Wan as they have to clear hurdle after hurdle together to catch Dooku and get to enjoy something of a victory when they learn the pirates have done their work for them. The leader of the pirates, Hondo, is also an entertaining and interesting addition to the series this week. He's smart to use 30 or 40 guys to keep the upper hand on a Sith and his group also gives us a taste of something not seen all that much since the movie, the underworld element of the Star Wars universe. It's the smugglers, gamblers, pirates, and bounty hunters that are a part of the things that make Star Wars great. It's the element brought in by guys like Han and Lando, places like Mos Eisley and Jabba's Palace. This episode gives us some part of that, allowing us to see something other than the Republic and Separatists, the criminal element always doing what it takes to turn up the week's next profit. Just getting that again is fun and makes for a solid, if not great, Clone Wars episode.