Star Wars: The Clone Wars Forums

Saturday 9:30 AM on Cartoon NetworkBetween Seasons

The Official Off-Topic/Star Wars in General Thread

zepherous35

[21]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 26
    Ive heard the concert is quite amazing. I am so excited to go! I have tickets and everything and Im just waiting until the day comes!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kittiekat10105

[22]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 18

zepherous35 wrote:
    Ive heard the concert is quite amazing. I am so excited to go! I have tickets and everything and Im just waiting until the day comes!

By the time I found out about it, it was too late. I had pretty much no time to get tickets, and I had already gotten my birthday present. But, I got to see my favorite musical, so I can't complain.

Oh well. I'll just settle on watching the movies over and over and over. Like usual. And, we can't forget the books! Just finished Heir to the Empire, and I'm working on Dark Force Rising. I also read Star by Star. It made me sad (UNDERSTATEMENT!).

ANYWAY! I hope you guys have a good time at SW in concert! Let me know how it is!

zepherous35

[23]Oct 25, 2009
    Yea, the tickets go rather quickly. I bought mine the day they went on sale for my area. They were expensive, but people say it is worth every penny spent. I am sure it will be an amazing show. I cant count how many people say it is an experience of a lifetime. Star Wars fans definitely cant miss it.

Brodoin15

[24]Oct 25, 2009
    • level: 20

I really hope I get a chance to see it. I am kind of doubting, but you never know. For all I know I might get a ticket as a gift from a friend.

If not... well, I better not go looking for reviews on how it was. I'd make myself very jealous if I did that.

Anyway, I finished reading Outbound Flight not long ago, and I just started reading Republic Commando: Order 66. It's interesting to see how the clones, and even some Jedi think of the war, and how the clones are being treated and everything behind-the-scenes of the war. (Speaking of the whole Republic Commando series.)

Edited on 10/25/2009 11:45am

zepherous35

[25]Oct 25, 2009

Im avoiding the Clone War era novels, just due to the fact that they are being deemed non-canon. Anything not tied to this series is being overturned.

On the concert, I am going to write a full blog about how the show was, my favorite part, the highlight of the concert, etc, etc. Brodoin: you should go to the site and see if they still have tickets. The ones in your area are a few weeks out, and there still may be a few tickets left. I bought mine the day they went on sale, because in my area, stuff like this goes QUICK. Especially Star Wars.

Brodoin15

[26]Oct 25, 2009

Perhaps, but unless they show Delta and/or Omega squad in this show, I'm viewing those books as canon.

Yeah, I know. And I would right now if I could.

zepherous35

[27]Oct 25, 2009

Im sure this series will touch base with them. Traviss quit because of it. Shes not going to write another Star Wars novel, or so she says. She, like me (and many others) realize what Filoni is doing to the timeline. Destroying it.

zepherous35

[28]Oct 25, 2009
    Out of all the novels you have read, which is your favorite? I have a few.

Brodoin15

[29]Oct 26, 2009
    zepherous35 wrote:

Im sure this series will touch base with them. Traviss quit because of it. Shes not going to write another Star Wars novel, or so she says. She, like me (and many others) realize what Filoni is doing to the timeline. Destroying it.

That is the biggest thing I dislike about the series. As a SW fan, I still like the show, but the fact that so many books are now non-canon really bugs me.

I'd like to see Omega or Delta squads in the show, but if they do show up, I really don't want to see any change that would show that it has changed the books. If it's just a mission, I'll just view it as a mission that was in between the books, if not, as in it is known to not be in between books, well, I'll be upset.

What books so far have been put out of the way to be "wrong" due to the series?

I'm not sure what my favourite books would be. I liked the Jedi Academy Trilogy, which I read early this year.

zepherous35

[30]Oct 26, 2009

I dont know any specifics for the books. I saw on another site that every single Clone War novel and comic is non-canon unless its tied to this series. I dont know whether to believe that or not, but it is feesible if you think about it. I mean, Lucas gave Filoni freedom to change whatever he felt likes, as long as it doesnt affect the Saga. I am hoping to ask Filoni myself at Celebration about what he plans. Im going VIP (if available), so I will be able to meet him Im sure.

Willy105

[31]Oct 26, 2009
    • level: 11
    I have only read the first two of the Thawn books. And the first Rogue Squadron.

Rogue Squadron was a terrible book. Badly written and super boring. The Thawn books, especially the first one (haven't read the third one) were great, although too much like Return of the Jedi.

Brodoin15

[32]Oct 26, 2009
    zepherous35 wrote:

I dont know any specifics for the books. I saw on another site that every single Clone War novel and comic is non-canon unless its tied to this series. I dont know whether to believe that or not, but it is feesible if you think about it. I mean, Lucas gave Filoni freedom to change whatever he felt likes, as long as it doesnt affect the Saga. I am hoping to ask Filoni myself at Celebration about what he plans. Im going VIP (if available), so I will be able to meet him Im sure.

I can understand some changes with a few books and comic, but everything?

Even books in which characters like Anakin or Obi-Wan do not appear? Republic Commando, for example, unless I missed something, neither of them ever appear. Mentioned, at the most. So why make that non-canon? Even if Delta Squad and/or Omega Squad shows up in the show, it could just be another mission. They are on missions all the time, doesn't mean a mission in the books doesn't have to happen.

Like I said, a few books I can understand, but why change others like Republic Commando? :

zepherous35

[33]Oct 26, 2009
    Willy105 wrote:
    I have only read the first two of the Thawn books. And the first Rogue Squadron.

Rogue Squadron was a terrible book. Badly written and super boring. The Thawn books, especially the first one (haven't read the third one) were great, although too much like Return of the Jedi.

Ive read so many I cant count them now. And the THRAWN trilogy is one of my favorites. Mara is such a great character, and she is just plain awesome in those books. It is a wonderful story, and feels just like the Saga. I couldnt put those books down. But, my all time favorite is the Han Solo trilogy. The last few chapters of the final book, just plain jaw dropping. It gave me chills.

Brodoin: I know how you feel. I cant believe how much they are changing. The one thing that really bothers me is Anakin's scar. That should have never been changed. But, it practically made that whole graphic novel pretty much non-canon. Its sick! It is frustrating to know stories that we know are being rewritten, or completely wiped out.

Brodoin15

[34]Oct 26, 2009

They change how Anakin got his scar? When? I must've missed it.

He got it in a duel with Ventress, correct? Before this series happned, even. Why change that? That's almost like bringing back a character that was killed before this series takes place in from another book.

I like this show, I honestly am enjoying it, but I hate knowing they are changing so much. Even things that do not need to be changed, or even things that don't even take place in the series.

zepherous35

[35]Oct 26, 2009
    Anakin got his scar from a duel with Ventress towards the end of the war. In that duel, Ventress was mortally wounded, she disappeared, and was never seen again. But, somehow, in this series, Anakin already has the scar, we are early in the war, and Ventress is still around. So, that story is completely non-canon now. Im hoping Filoni doesnt forget that Anakin and Grievous cant meet! Lucas will be mighty pissed if he changes that. Lol.

Willy105

[36]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 11
    Why can't Anakin and Grevious meet?

I don't remember that from the 2D Clone Wars.

Brodoin15

[37]Oct 27, 2009

I may be wrong, but I remember from Episode 3 when Anakin says to Grevious "You're shorter than I expected" after Grevious says something to Anakin. (I apologize, I forget what.) Anyway, it implies that they did not meet before Episode 3, therefore, they cannot meet in the series.

-batmat-

[38]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 22
    Brodoin15 wrote:
    I may be wrong, but I remember from Episode 3 when Anakin says to Grevious "You're shorter than I expected" after Grevious says something to Anakin. (I apologize, I forget what.)

Jedi Scum!

zepherous35

[39]Oct 27, 2009
    Brodoin15 wrote:

I may be wrong, but I remember from Episode 3 when Anakin says to Grevious "You're shorter than I expected" after Grevious says something to Anakin. (I apologize, I forget what.) Anyway, it implies that they did not meet before Episode 3, therefore, they cannot meet in the series.

Correct. He talks to Obi-Wan, and then turns to Anakin:

Grievous: "And Anakin Skywalker. I expected someone with your reputation to be a little...older."

Anakin: "General Grievous. You're shorter than I expected." They never met prior to Episode III. And so, Filoni cant let them meet on this series.

zepherous35

[40]Oct 27, 2009
    Brodoin15 wrote:
    zepherous35 wrote:

I can understand some changes with a few books and comic, but everything?

Even books in which characters like Anakin or Obi-Wan do not appear? Republic Commando, for example, unless I missed something, neither of them ever appear. Mentioned, at the most. So why make that non-canon? Even if Delta Squad and/or Omega Squad shows up in the show, it could just be another mission. They are on missions all the time, doesn't mean a mission in the books doesn't have to happen.

Like I said, a few books I can understand, but why change others like Republic Commando? :

I thought I would mention: The Republic Commando series will not be finished by Karen Traviss. Like I said earlier, she quit Star Wars because of the continuity issues this series has raised. So, it may never be completed.