Star Wars: The Clone Wars Forums

Saturday 9:30 AM on Cartoon NetworkBetween Seasons

The Official Off-Topic/Star Wars in General Thread

Brodoin15

[161]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 20

Well, I'm low on money right now, but that's still a while away, so we'll see. Orlando seems like the one I could go to most likely, as well as the closest to where I live. I'll just keep up the hope of getting money and going.

Quick question - sorry to go off this topic - but is there any info on why Traviss cancelled her final Star Wars book? I'm curious. (I pray it's not for a dumb reason.)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fryman1701

[162]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 7
    here is her blog, which seems to cover it for the most part

Brodoin15

[163]Dec 4, 2009

Well, I'm still hoping someone else picks it up and finishes it, even if they have the same ending Traviss was planning on using. I just want it to be made.

But one thing. "I was told that the Mandalorians were being revamped as long-standing pacifists who'd given up fighting centuries ago and that Mandalore was now a post-apocalyptic wasteland devastated by war."

Seriously? They are changing that for this series? That changes so much about our favourite Mandos, and not just in the Clone Wars. How can they change that? Mandalorians live and die to fight, they always have.

If I had to pick one thing that upsetted me the most, it would be this. I hope I'm not he only one. In fact, I doubt I am. I can see a lot of Mando fans being ticked off now.

Di'kuts.

Edited on 12/04/2009 3:34pm

Brodoin15

[164]Dec 5, 2009

Sorry for going onto the topic of this show. I know this thread isn't really supposed to have things about the show in it. I just got upset to hear they might be changing the Mandalorians' culture. That's not just changing something in the Clone Wars era, but changing Mandos in general. And that is a lot to change.

Does that change the Battle of Gilidraan? Does it change there being Mandalorian mercenaries like Kal Skirata, Rav Bralor, and Walon Vau? How much could it change?

But I digress. Got Imperial Commando: 501st last night. I'm going to read it once I finish Survivor's Quest. All I need now to have the whole series is Hard Contact. I really should have read that first.

Willy105

[165]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 11
    Oh drat!

I used to live in Orlando not too long ago!

And now it's 4 hours away!

DRAT!

So anyway, is there a dress code for these conventions? Do I need to get a costume, or can I just go in like normal?

zepherous35

[166]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 26

You can dress normal, or in costume. My brother has a full set of stormtrooper armor that he is going to be wearing. But, I am just going to stick with my many Star Wars t-shirts. Its going to be an amazing Celebration! Maybe some of us can meet at the convention and discuss Star Wars in person! That would be fun to connect a face with the screennames. If you all are going, I would recommend booking everything very soon. A guy I know told me that 5 of the hotels in Orlando are already booked! I booked my plane tickets, villa, and car the day CV was announced. Now just have to get the tickets, which I understand go rather quickly.

Also, Brodoin, Sue Rostoni doesnt know if they are going to finish that series. It is up in the air right now, those are her words. Also, I hate that they are changing the Mando culture. I was afraid something like this would happen. That idiot Filoni has no business changing things that have been established before he even knew what Star Wars was. It makes you think, will Lucas let him change the saga? I seriously doubt it, but it is something to think about. Maybe Anakin will never become Vader. It will be something like TFU: USE. Another great reason why I dont watch this series.

Brodoin15

[167]Dec 5, 2009

Why can't they just make new characters and only minor changes? I don't mind a new person or a little change to something, but to change something that has been set for years... that's just a slap in the face. Mandalorians have been a battle loving strong people for years. To change that is just... ugh.

Now, if they were making it that only some Mandaloirans are peaceful and such, I wouldn't mind, but it seems as if they are making them the majority, and taking away the Mandalore title from Jaster Mereel. Maybe even Jango. From what I've read they also placed Spar as Mandalore instead of Fenn Shysa for some reason.

When you think of Mandalorians, what do you think of? I think of a battle-hardened people who live for war and honor. Not peace loving pacifists.

I admit. There is a good amount of time between the New Sith Wars and all that, and up to pre-Clone Wars time, when Jaster was Mandalore. But still, it just doesn't seem like something the Mandalorians would do.

zepherous35

[168]Dec 5, 2009
    Do like me and consider it non-canon.

fryman1701

[169]Dec 5, 2009
    I am at the point that I have to consider this series as an infinities story. My wife and I have not watched an ep since Senate Spy, mainly because we are so disillusioned with the show

zepherous35

[170]Dec 5, 2009
    I am less than a week away from Star Wars: In Concert!

Willy105

[171]Dec 6, 2009
    I don't understand.

Why are you guys treating this non-cannon?

It seems like every episode has Anakin becoming more and more like Darth Vader and his Episode 3 character.

Something that I have been missing?

zepherous35

[172]Dec 6, 2009
    I explained some in my blog. But, check our other postings for details. Almost all hardcore fans I know are viewing it as non-canon.

Brodoin15

[173]Dec 6, 2009

If I chose one thing that would be canon in the series it would be Ahsoka. Mainly because friends and I talked about Anakin having a Padawan long before we heard of this series.

I'm still willing to see it as canon, but I am standing on a very, very thin line between the two, just waiting to be pushed to the other side.

fryman1701

[174]Dec 6, 2009
    I just can't stand the fact that it is basically wiping its ass all over the original Clone Wars multi media project. Two video games, more than a half dozen books, a bunch of comics, and a wonderful two season series. Not to mention a very coherent timeline. All pretty much flushed down the toilet. Oh yeah, and the whole Karen Traviss thing. At least she had the balls to stand up and say I'm not gonna deal with this crap, and leave.

mrsfryman1701

[175]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 2
    So if the Mando history as been tossed out then I have decided that Padme cheated on that crybaby Anakin and Obi is the twins daddy. He acted more like a father and caring babies daddy than crybaby ever did. Really, what kind of a douche-bag chokes the supposed love of his life.

Brodoin15

[176]Dec 7, 2009

Traviss handled it better than I know I would if I were in her shoes.

Did they expect fans to not watch the show? Or did they expect us to become robots and accept it? All they needed to do was create their own lore, not practically steal if from other peoples' work.

Anyway, I think the new game being announced this weekend is 90% going to be Battlefront 3. The other 10%... Jedi Knight 4, Rogue Squadron 4, Republic Commando 2, Empire at War 2, maybe even a new game all together.

Battlefront 3 most likely. though.

fryman1701

[177]Dec 7, 2009
    Brodoin15 wrote:

Traviss handled it better than I know I would if I were in her shoes.

Did they expect fans to not watch the show? Or did they expect us to become robots and accept it? All they needed to do was create their own lore, not practically steal if from other peoples' work.

Yeah, I think she was very mature about it. I would have basically been like "screw you guys, I'm goin home" and I remember Lucas saying in an interview last year that he consideres the books to be alternate universe, because it is the story of Anakins fall and redemption, and everything else is made up by other people.

Brodoin15 wrote:

Anyway, I think the new game being announced this weekend is 90% going to be Battlefront 3.

pretty sure you are right on that one

Brodoin15 wrote:

Jedi Knight 4, Rogue Squadron 4, Republic Commando 2,

Would much prefer any of these over a new Battlefront. Don't get me wrong, both of the large console Battlefront games were excellent, just think it would be a retread with some new maps and maybe a few new character classes. I did enjoy the 501st chronicles part of the game, so if they added a new story similar to that it would be a pretty good game. But can you imagine a Wii exclusive Rogue Squadron? that would be my new favorite game

Edited on 12/07/2009 11:29am

Brodoin15

[178]Dec 7, 2009

I like Lucas, but I would consider everything added to it canon if I were him. (Besides the obvious non-canon things like joke comics in Star Wars: Tales and such.) I found the adding of the books and games and everything made it all more entertaning and realistic. After all, the Rebels won the Battle of Endor and both Vader and the Emperor were killed, but the Empire still had countless armies, fleets, and planets with them.

After the Empire's defeat, people did rebel against the Empire on other planets and joined the Alliance, of course, but still many remained loyal to the Empire.

Anyway, I agree. I love Battlefront, and I would like to see a BF 3, but I'd like to see another sequel to other series just as much.

I'm hoping they make a good single-player campaign in BF 3, like the 501st story. I'd really like it if they made one for each faction. Rise of the Rebellion. Battles of the CIS. Fall of the Republic. Stuff like that, only more detailed, and narrated by a soldier who survived. (For the CIS, taken from the memory of a battle droid, perhaps.)

I'd also like to see new factions, if possible. The Old Republic, The Sith Empire, The Yuuzhan Vong, The Galatic Alliance, or Krayt's Empire, maybe. I know those are EU factions, but still, I'd like to see at least a couple new ones in the game.

Willy105

[179]Dec 7, 2009

It's absolutely retarded fans are seeing this as non-cannon.

I am completely speechless.

George Lucas decides what is cannon, not the fans. Otherwise you will have to live in your own reality and ignore anything that happens in the Star Wars universe in the future.

Edited on 12/07/2009 5:56pm

fryman1701

[180]Dec 8, 2009
    Willy105 wrote:

It's absolutely retarded fans are seeing this as non-cannon.

I am completely speechless.

George Lucas decides what is cannon, not the fans. Otherwise you will have to live in your own reality and ignore anything that happens in the Star Wars universe in the future.

tho only problem I see with this theory is that he just said less than ten years ago what the canon was for the clone wars era. Now none of it means anything. books, comics, video games, TV series, all down the drain. so in a few more years, when he comes out with a third clone wars series that destroys the continuity of the current series, we will have to accept that. I don't see this actually happening, the whole thing is as ridiculous as a statue of the emperor being toppled on Coruscant right after the battle of Endor. oh wait, he tried to say that happened also. If whatever Lucas says is canon, than yoda is a frog, and possibly "The illegitimate child of Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy". actual Lucas quote. although with the whole Conan Antonio Motti thing, I guess we really should consider this seriously.