Star Wars: The Clone Wars Forums

Saturday 9:30 AM on Cartoon NetworkBetween Seasons

What's the final fate of Captain Rex?

What happens to Captain Rex after the series?

merlinrules09

[1]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 11
    What do you think happens to Captain Rex? Something will have to happen to him because he's not in episode III
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

basenji529

[2]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 15
    He probably kills the Jedi with the other clones. Eventually he ages too rapidly, and, at 30 (but feeling like 60), he dies when the Death Star blows up.

merlinrules09

[3]Mar 28, 2009
    i dont think captain rex would betray the jedi, he doesnt seem like the clone that would betray the jedi.

zepherous35

[4]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 26
    Maybe something happens to Ahsoka, and Anakin sends Rex to watch over her. They go somewhere (like the Unknown Regions) and never return.

basenji529

[5]Mar 29, 2009
    • level: 15

merlinrules09 wrote:
    i dont think captain rex would betray the jedi, he doesnt seem like the clone that would betray the jedi.

The clones are preprogrammed to betray the Jedi. They can't help it. Because they felt no ill will toward the Jedi, the Jedi couldn't detect it; Yoda only could because Anakin's fall and Order 66 created a great disturbance in the Force.

Nickylucas

[6]Mar 30, 2009
    • level: 23
    However, the clones did not know they are programmed to do that. When Palpatine said "order 66" the clones knew. But they didn't know before.

Brodoin15

[7]Mar 30, 2009
    • level: 20

It was just an order, they weren't programmed. They a trained to follow orders without question, order 66 just happened to be the order to kill the Jedi. And since Palpy ordered it, no one but himself could order the clones to stand down, even if they knew he was evil.

Some clones didn't follow the order, and even helped Jedi escape. Otther, while they followed the order, hope the Jedi they killed died quickly, and painlessly. Showing even though they killed them, they cared enough to grant a quick and painless death. Which may still sound harsh, but they only followed orders.

merlinrules09

[8]Apr 5, 2009
    i also wonder what happens to cody because you dont get to see him again after Obi-wan leaves utapau in Episode III
    Edited on 06/10/2009 2:01pm

Darthcaliber

[9]Sep 13, 2009
    • level: 2

I don't know what the official final word on Cody is but an earlier draft of Episode III had Obi-Wan kill him while escaping.

As for Rex I strongly believe he would not betray the Jedi. At least not Anakin and Ahsoka. It's been noted that clones tend to take on traits of thier commanders and that can be seen in Rex and Cody. Anakin and Obi-Wan even point this out to each other in one episode. Cody like Obi-Wan is a strict follower of the rules, a by-the-book soldier. Hence he carried out Order 66 regardless of how he may have personally felt about it.

Rex on the other hand is more likely to improvise and take the unorthodox route. Like Anakin he does what he feels is right even if it bends the rules a bit. He also seems to have a stronger will than other clones. Notice in the movie how he was able to partially resist Ventress' mind control. Yes in the end he did call Anakin like she wanted but he manged to slip in a sight warning to let him know something was wrong. (By calling him by his first name, something a soldier would not do nor would Ventress do either, she always calls him Skywalker)

I like to believe Rex ultimately winds up acting as Ahsoka's bodyguard as they both hide from the Empire following Order 66. Rex seems to have developed a bit of an emotional attachment to her (in a big brother/surrogate father way not romantic) I'm sure he would do anything he could to help her and would never bring himself to kill her no matter what he was ordered.

zepherous35

[11]Sep 13, 2009
    Darthcaliber wrote:

I don't know what the official final word on Cody is but an earlier draft of Episode III had Obi-Wan kill him while escaping.

As for Rex I strongly believe he would not betray the Jedi. At least not Anakin and Ahsoka. It's been noted that clones tend to take on traits of thier commanders and that can be seen in Rex and Cody. Anakin and Obi-Wan even point this out to each other in one episode. Cody like Obi-Wan is a strict follower of the rules, a by-the-book soldier. Hence he carried out Order 66 regardless of how he may have personally felt about it.

Rex on the other hand is more likely to improvise and take the unorthodox route. Like Anakin he does what he feels is right even if it bends the rules a bit. He also seems to have a stronger will than other clones. Notice in the movie how he was able to partially resist Ventress' mind control. Yes in the end he did call Anakin like she wanted but he manged to slip in a sight warning to let him know something was wrong. (By calling him by his first name, something a soldier would not do nor would Ventress do either, she always calls him Skywalker)

I like to believe Rex ultimately winds up acting as Ahsoka's bodyguard as they both hide from the Empire following Order 66. Rex seems to have developed a bit of an emotional attachment to her (in a big brother/surrogate father way not romantic) I'm sure he would do anything he could to help her and would never bring himself to kill her no matter what he was ordered.

Good post. I agree with a few amendments. Such as, I think Rex and Ahsoka leave at least a few months before Order 66 occurs. That is for canon sake. Otherwise, I agree.

Brodoin15

[12]Sep 14, 2009
    Darthcaliber wrote:

Very good points. It may happen.

Rex does seem like the kind of clone to second-guess Order 66, and maybe not even follow it. Mainly because, as you said, he may become attached to Ashoka. It would be an interesting story to see, a clone not follow the order.

I know Ion Squad didn't follow Order 66, and I doubt that Omega Squad and some the ARC's would have done it too, but I'd like to see a clone not follow it in this series.

zepherous35

[13]Sep 14, 2009

Brodoin15 wrote:
    I know Ion Squad didn't follow Order 66, and I doubt that Omega Squad and some the ARC's would have done it too, but I'd like to see a clone not follow it in this series.

This series will never make it that far. It cant go past its Episode III boundary. There are quite a few Clones that didnt execute the Order. Some of Roan Shryne's Clones let him go, for example.

Brodoin15

[14]Sep 14, 2009

Still, I'd like to at least see a comic arc in one of the SW comics about a group of clones that help a Jedi escape.

Unless I missed something, the only time it is shown is in the novels.

zepherous35

[15]Sep 14, 2009
    Brodoin15 wrote:

Still, I'd like to at least see a comic arc in one of the SW comics about a group of clones that help a Jedi escape.

Unless I missed something, the only time it is shown is in the novels.

I think you are right. I only read recaps of comics. Im not big on them. But I still want the story for my mind's canon database. I just read the dialogue so I get the story. Anyways: however, I know its in the novels. Thats better for me...I make my own pictures in my mind! LOL.

TKnHappyNess

[16]Sep 19, 2009
    Is Kota an actual Jedi from the Expanded Universe or only in the Force Unleashed? He escaped Order 66 because he had no clones on his squad, only his militia handpicked by him personally.

zepherous35

[17]Sep 19, 2009
    Rahm Kota was first introduced in The Force Unleashed novel. He had only been in The Force Unleashed, but now he is slated to appear in the new Battlefront game, Elite Squadron.

akif22

[18]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 3
    it would be heartbreaking but interesting if he turns and kills ahsoka

merlinrules09

[19]Oct 9, 2009
    Would it be possible for Rex to become a commander (or another rank higher than captain) before the end of the series ?

Brodoin15

[20]Oct 10, 2009

merlinrules09 wrote:
    Would it be possible for Rex to become a commander (or another rank higher than captain) before the end of the series ?

Possibly.

Which reminds me. Why isn't Rex a Commander in the first place? He's part of the 501st, and Anakin is the General of the 501st. We also do not see any other high-ranking clone in the 501st other than Rex. It is possible that Anakin's original clone Commander was killed off-screen, however Rex has shown enough courage, tactics, and skill to be put up for the Commander rank. Anakin sure seems to see Rex the same as Obi-Wan views Cody.

Perhaps it is because Jedi Padawans, such as Ahsoka, have the rank Commander in the army, however Rex was still a Captain before Ahsoka became Anakin's Padawan.

I suppose those at LucasFilm thought Captain Rex sounded better than Commander Rex.

Edited on 10/10/2009 4:14pm