Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Holocron Heist

Aired Saturday 9:30 AM Oct 02, 2009 on Cartoon Network

• When Ahsoka disobeys orders, she's assigned to the Jedi Temple's archives as punishment, just as notorious bounty hunter Cad Bane plans a break-in and heist in the temple of a Jedi holocron.

The Clone Wars returns with a bang at the beginning of the episode, giving us a visually pleasing opening with the landing and battle on Episode III movie Felucia. Unfortunately, for me, this is one of the biggest highlights of the episode, as the rest I found somewhat lacking. Cad Bane makes his return after being introduced at the end of last season, and he gets the usual cool, collected demeanor he displayed before. We get a closer look at how he works and plans, working with another, shapeshifting bounty hunter as well as his (Seth Green voiced!) droid. It's interesting to get another episode with quite a bit of his perspective and brings more of that underworld element that was only seen sparingly in the first season. Other than that, though, the episode isn't as solid as it could have been. It had its ups, of course. The Bane story was fun and it's nice to see him under a bit of pressure after getting an episode and a half of complete calm and cool. The disguised Jocasta fight with Ahsoka was fun and it's nice to see that the bounty hunter wasn't exactly a saber expert, using wide, uncontrolled swings and cuts to get at Ahsoka. The episode, however, felt like less than the sum of its parts and didn't quite deliver as a season premiere. But the bad guys won again, so I'll give it credit for that. Fortunately, we were given the superior follow-up the next night.