Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Landing at Point Rain

Aired Saturday 9:30 AM Nov 04, 2009 on Cartoon Network

• One of the highlights of Series 2! However, somewhat overrated and flawed in parts.

So, Geonosis has been recaptured and Anakin, Ahsoka, Obi-Wan and Ki-Adi-Mundi (Hooray!) have been sent to recapture it.

It's a typical Clone Wars battle. Gunships, Clones, Ships flying all around, crashes, explosions and gunfire. For about 18 out of the 22 minutes of this episode, it's non-stop, full on action.

This is one of the reasons this show was made - to showcase the gritty three year struggle between the mighty forces of both the Republic and the Seperatists.

*Spoiler Alert*
    The attack goes a bit wrong, with the Seperatists quite aware that the Republic was attacking. Out of all the Jedi and clones that take part in the attack, only Commander Cody and company make it to the designated area. Anakin, Ahsoka, Rex and their clones find a giant fortress, while Ki-Adi-Mundi and his group take a shortcut through a cave....full of Geonosions!
    Obi-wan gets it the worse for once, with his gunship hitting the ground hard and him being one of the only two survivors.
    But everyone gets it together and wins.

This episode doesn't deserve the "Perfect" or even "Superb" rating for a handful of reasons. The most noticable flaw is the poor writing and dialogue - at one point Ki-Adi-Mundi says "there is no such thing as luck" yet barely two minutes later he tells his clones "with any luck we can make it to the landing zone alive". Hypocrite much? Or a writing blunder? Ki-Adi-Mundi's character isn't like that, so I'll opt for the second choice there. But then again, we don't watch this show for it's writing - do we?

The second flaw is the resolution and the apparent ease at which the Republic won, despite losing nearly all their forces at the initial attack. The episode's course can be summed up like a post-battle report from a clone - "We invaded Geonosis, complications arose but were overcome and we now control the planet". There was no sacrifice, bold move or twist to give them the upper hand. It was merely "clones and their Jedi can beat whatever is thrown at them".

The third flaw (which isn't really a flaw) is the idea of Ki-Adi-Mundi in the epiosde. He was just like a gimmick, as he did nothing except add to the action. He was appreciated though.

Save for those flaws, the episode was the usual stunning visuals and sound - with an enjoyable to watch and vastly superior battle to what we've seen in other things.

Eight and a Half out of Ten.
  • Action packed!

The Clone Wars returns after a 2 or 3 week hiatus with the best episode of the season so far.

One of the big things about this ep was the inclusion of Ki Adi Mundi, who is one of the most popular and well known jedi from the prequel era and who was not included in season 1. He teams up with Anakin and Obi-wan to take down the droid factory on Geonosis.

I thought it was a nice idea to go back to Geonosis. It brought up some memories of the place for the characters (Obi-wan mentions his being chained in the stadium from AOTC) as well as for the audience. It almost makes me want to watch the movie again (ep 2 was my least fave of the movies).

This episode had the best action so far this season. And it was kind of nice to take a break from Cad Bane. I am happy that Lucas is going to have another episode focusing on Geonosis.
  • With Geonosis' droid factories back up and running, the Republic returns to retake the planet. Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Ki-Adi-Mundi lead an attack on the surface, but when all three generals get shot down, the battle gets much more perilous.

After the quieter, tighter story we got last episode and some of the smaller scaled adventures, this episode blows it all open with half an hour of balls to the wall action. For those who thought the last hour or so was the best part of Episode II, this is an episode to love as it and three that follow serve as a sort of sequel to that first Battle of Geonosis. Here we get ships flying and exploding, blasters bolts screaming, lightsabers flaring, clones, droids, and bugs fighting and dying. Ki-Adi-Mundi makes his first appearance on the show and he's as memorable as the Jedi we've had so far. Rex gets his moments of taking down a destroyer droid and falling (courtesy of Anakin and Ahsoka in a great moment) from an exploding fortress. Clones use flamethrowers on Geonosians (which is somewhat surprising given the show's target audience, but it is a war show). Cody gets to lead one defense and we even get a return of Waxer and Boil from "Innocents of Ryloth". And to cap it all off, there's a air support rescue from the Y-Wings just as it looks like Kenobi and his troops are making a last stand (even if you know ol' Obi-Wan will survive, it's still cool!) This episode is a scale heretofore not seen on The Clone Wars, and it is amazing. Hats off to them for a fantastic episode, by far the best of season 2 to date.
  • Defiantly one of the best stories to come from the show!

***Spoiler Alert***

This episode has completely renewed my faith in the show. This was exactly what I wanted to see; Jedi Knights and Masters in their prime, countless clones, gunships and fighters all over the battlefield... I'm going to go out on a limb and say this was what I wanted the prequel trilogy to be about. I understand what Lucas wanted to do, but for me I wanted to see "The Clone Wars", instead I saw the beginning and the end.

Aside from getting exactly what I wanted their was one thing that really bugged me no pun intended when the clones used flame throwers at their enemy. I would think a Jedi would find it for lack of a better word evil or Sith like, but I leave this open for interpretation. I also enjoy when the show gets into a two-part or even better a three-part episode. To me it makes the stories more richer and rewarding. I hope part two delivers what part one brought to the table. This is by far the best battle in the show's history so far!