Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Landing at Point Rain

Aired Saturday 9:30 AM Nov 04, 2009 on Cartoon Network

• One of the highlights of Series 2! However, somewhat overrated and flawed in parts.

So, Geonosis has been recaptured and Anakin, Ahsoka, Obi-Wan and Ki-Adi-Mundi (Hooray!) have been sent to recapture it.

It's a typical Clone Wars battle. Gunships, Clones, Ships flying all around, crashes, explosions and gunfire. For about 18 out of the 22 minutes of this episode, it's non-stop, full on action.

This is one of the reasons this show was made - to showcase the gritty three year struggle between the mighty forces of both the Republic and the Seperatists.

*Spoiler Alert*
    The attack goes a bit wrong, with the Seperatists quite aware that the Republic was attacking. Out of all the Jedi and clones that take part in the attack, only Commander Cody and company make it to the designated area. Anakin, Ahsoka, Rex and their clones find a giant fortress, while Ki-Adi-Mundi and his group take a shortcut through a cave....full of Geonosions!
    Obi-wan gets it the worse for once, with his gunship hitting the ground hard and him being one of the only two survivors.
    But everyone gets it together and wins.

This episode doesn't deserve the "Perfect" or even "Superb" rating for a handful of reasons. The most noticable flaw is the poor writing and dialogue - at one point Ki-Adi-Mundi says "there is no such thing as luck" yet barely two minutes later he tells his clones "with any luck we can make it to the landing zone alive". Hypocrite much? Or a writing blunder? Ki-Adi-Mundi's character isn't like that, so I'll opt for the second choice there. But then again, we don't watch this show for it's writing - do we?

The second flaw is the resolution and the apparent ease at which the Republic won, despite losing nearly all their forces at the initial attack. The episode's course can be summed up like a post-battle report from a clone - "We invaded Geonosis, complications arose but were overcome and we now control the planet". There was no sacrifice, bold move or twist to give them the upper hand. It was merely "clones and their Jedi can beat whatever is thrown at them".

The third flaw (which isn't really a flaw) is the idea of Ki-Adi-Mundi in the epiosde. He was just like a gimmick, as he did nothing except add to the action. He was appreciated though.

Save for those flaws, the episode was the usual stunning visuals and sound - with an enjoyable to watch and vastly superior battle to what we've seen in other things.

Eight and a Half out of Ten.