Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Weapons Factory

Aired Saturday 9:30 AM Nov 13, 2009 on Cartoon Network

• Anakin and Master Luminara Unduli lead an attack on Poggle the Lesser's main droid factory, while their Padawans Ahsoka and Barriss Offee are tested like never before as they infiltrate the factory to destroy its reactor from the inside.

The second episode of the Geonosis arc (or maybe the third if you consider Senate Spy to be a lead-in) makes for another solid entry as we get the return of Luminara in the flesh and the introduction of her Padawan to the Clone Wars TV show, Barriss Offee. I'll be honest, I'm a bit biased here since I've had a soft spot for ol' Barriss from the comics and books, so it was good getting to see her here and working with Ahsoka on this vital mission. Like the last episode, this one is pretty action-oriented, though it does take a moment or two to breathe, especially with the Padawans' (creepy) infiltration into the Geonosis factory. The Sep's new super tanks are an interesting addition, easily taken the fire of the heavy cannons we see from the movie. I wonder if those will be utilized again in future episodes. The best moment likely comes at the end of the episode, when Ahsoka and Barriss realize that they will have to destroy the reactor manually, with the tank's cannons. Even though I knew better, I couldn't help but wonder how they were supposed to survive with the reactor going up right in their face. It's a good moment and shows just what both Padawans are willing to give up to save others, one of the most important aspects of a Jedi. It also provides our second example this season of Anakin being much too stubborn to let his Padawan go, something even commented upon by Luminara. As Yoda noted in the movie, this attitude is exactly why Anakin was given a Padawan in the first place, and it's always nice to get a small hint of the flaws that will drive Anakin to darkness without hitting us over the head with some angsty, dark nature that much of the EU has for some reason chosen to show.