A Star-Crossed Community
The CW (ended 2014)

MARK YOUR TEEN BEAT CALENDARS

... The CW has announced a bunch of season finale dates in case you need to make arrangements for your mom to pick you up from your friend's house a little later than usual. The network also revealed the the premiere date for its upcoming miniseries Labyrinth, a four-hour event about two women searching for the Holy Grail in France. And here's the kicker: They're separated by centuries! Labyrinth will tell both ladies' stories concurrently. And now here are those finale dates:

• Monday, May 5: The Tomorrow People
  • Monday, May 12: Star-Crossed
  • Tuesday, May 13: The Originals
  • Wednesday, May 14: Arrow
  • Thursday, May 15: The Vampire Diaries, Reign
  • Friday, May 16: Hart of Dixie
  • Tuesday, May 20: Supernatural
  • Thursday, May 22: Labyrinth (Part 1)
  • Friday, May 23: Labyrinth (Part 2)
  • Wednesday, June 11: The100

[CW via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... As if those dates weren't enough, NBC has some, too. The next season of American Ninja Warrior will debut Monday, May 26 at 8pm, and the next edition of America's Got Talent will start the day after that, on Tuesday, May 27 at 8pm. Hey, I didn't say they were exciting dates, I just said they were dates. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Sigh. Kyle Killen's latest series Mind Games debuted last night and it had worse luck than his other two series, Lone Star and Awake. Just 3.6 million people tuned in, which translated to a 1.1 rating in the adult demo. That's lower than Lone Star's debut of a 1.3 rating, and that series only lasted two episodes. Hey, I liked the premiere! [Variety]

... SundanceTV has announced a return date for its behind-the-scenes series The Writers Room. Season 2 will debut on Monday, April 14 at 10pm, with host Jim Rash (Community) returning to pick the brains of the people who create your favorite shows. First up on the schedule will be Scandal, followed by a special on comic-book adaptations, House of Cards, The Good WifeSons of Anarchy, and Pretty Little Liars. This is a great show to see how the proverbial sausage is made. [SundanceTV via press release] 

... BET has renewed its first original scripted drama Being Mary Jane for a second season following the conclusion of its first. The series stars Gabrielle Union as a cable-news personality with a complicated personal and love life. [BET via press release]

... Strike Back is taking a break after its star Sullivan Stapleton injured himself on location in Bangkok, Thailand. It's unclear what kind of injury Stapleton suffered, but it's setting production back by six months! Given that the show was filming in Thailand, his possible injuries could include a deep forehead bruise from a ping-pong ball ejected at high velocity, a buttock tear from some spicy Pad Kee Mao, and asphyxiation from braided hair. [Deadline Hollywood]

... VH1 is still giving this original programming thing a shot and has ordered 10 episodes of Hindsight, which was originally in development at NBC. (Eww, leftovers from NBC?) The series stars Laura Ramsey (The Ruins) as a woman pushing 40 who, on her wedding day, wakes up in the year 1995. You know, back when VH1 played music videos. [Deadline Hollywood]

CASTING NEWS

... Taraji P. Henson, known to some as Agent Joss Carter from CBS's Person of Interest, is no longer in job limbo. She's joined the cast of Fox's pilot Empire, a family drama centering on the world of hip-hop and a music mogul played by Terrence Howard. It sounds like Henson's days of playing a good gal are over. Her Empire character, the ex-wife of Howard's character, did hard time for dealing drugs and laundering money, and now she's out of jail and ready to get her cash back. [TV Line]

... Fred Willard (Anchorman) has joined NBC's comedy pilot Old Soul, where he'll star alongside Natasha Lyonne and Rita Moreno. In the single-camera sitcom, Lyonne plays a former wild child who works in an elderly care facility. Willard will play one of the residents of the facility, a former songwriter. One sign that this could be good: It's produced by Amy Poehler and David Wain. [Deadline Hollywood]

NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A SUPERFAN

... A man who got busted cooking meth in his Chicago home was arrested while wearing a "Pollos Hermanos" shirt from the television show Breaking Bad. And I thought I was a fan of the show because I break up my bacon to spell out numbers. Alternative punchline: "Better call Saul!" [NBC Chicago]

33 Comments