A Star-Crossed Community
The CW (ended 2014)

Star-Crossed S01E01: "Pilot"

Just as ABC has discovered its niche as the go-to network for nighttime soaps, The CW has discovered that genre series aimed at teens and tweens (and those 20- and 30-somethings who can't let go of The WB) are their cash crops. The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural—currently in their fifth and ninth seasons, respectively—have done very well for the network. In the fall, it added two new genre series to its ranks with The Originals, a TVD spin-off that just earned a second season, and the The Tomorrow Peoplea remake of a British science-fiction series from the '70s. And now the network is attempting to travel even further into sci-fi territory with the alien drama Star-Crossed. Unfortunately, it's so far off the mark that it almost would've been better if The CW had saved it for a blow-off summer series and moved up The 100, a much better sci-fi show that's slated to debut in March.

Set in the near future in the year 2024, Star-Crossed centers on two teenagers, one human and one alien, who are connected by their past. The backstory is relatively simple: A spacecraft full of refugees from the planet Atria (not Atari) crash-landed in Baton Rouge in May 2014, and the people of Louisiana—and by extension, the United States—quickly rounded up all surviving Atrians (also not The Ataris) and forced them to reside in a militarized sector. But on the night of the crash, a young boy escaped the scene and took refuge in a nearby shed. He was discovered and befriended by a young girl, who fed him cold spaghetti until he was ultimately found and (seemingly) killed right in front of her. We saw all this happen in the pilot, which then flashed forward ten years to where the series really began, as seven Atrian teens—including the boy we believed to be dead, who's now a very good-looking teenager—were being integrated into the human school system.

Anyone who's ever taken a middle school U.S. history class can see Star-Crossed's obvious parallels to the Little Rock Nine (the students are even called the Atrian Seven), but for those of you who slept your way through school or perhaps aren't familiar with American civil rights history, let me help you out. In 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Brown vs. Board of Education that laws pertaining to racial segregation in educational establishments were unconstitutional, and ordered the desegregation of schools throughout the nation. Three years later, in 1957, a group of nine African-Americans students were all set to be enrolled at Little Rock Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas. But the process did not, as you might imagine, go very smoothly. They were initially barred from entering the school by the Arkansas National Guard, who were acting on orders of the state's governor, and only after the intervention of President Dwight D. Eisenhower were they admitted to the building and allowed to enroll. But even then, their lives were full of torment; one student had acid thrown in her face and was nearly set on fire in the girls' restroom. Lots of people were a**holes in 1957, basically.

None of these things happened in Star-Crossed's series premiere, but the Atrian Seven faced a similar level of hatred and distrust simply because they were viewed as being different. Although they look and appear human in nearly every single way, they're immediately distinguishable from humans because of their unique facial tattoos. And While I commend the The CW for attempting to tackle the topic of race relations—which isn't a super common occurrence on TV, especially on a network that's generally more concerned with pretty faces than anything else—Star-Crossed really dropped the ball. Its biggest flaw is that, in its debut hour, it let important questions of humanity, common decency, and racism take a backseat to yet another silly love story between two teenagers who are literally from two different worlds (and yes, one of them actually uttered the line, "We're from two different worlds").

Maybe I'm asking too much from a series on The CW, but we've seen the network address darker, more serious subjects on shows like The Vampire Diaries and Arrow. And who knows, Star-Crossed could still turn out to be another series that's silly on the surface but interesting underneath. I understand that love triangles pretty much pay the network's bills—and the pilot put the pieces in motion for a major one between Matt Lanter's Roman (an Atrian hunk), Aimee Teegarden's Emery (an attractive human girl), and Grey Damon's Grayson (Emery's mostly-accepting-of-Atrians human friend)—but if they just wanted another teen romance, why go through the trouble of reminding viewers of the darkest periods in American history? The militarized sector where the Atrians live was obviously reminiscent of the internment camps that were established following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor during World War II, and the racism displayed by several teens and adults was a sad reminder of how terrible people can be. Star-Crossed has the potential to do some compelling stuff, but it's going to take a lot of work.

There was, however, one moment in the pilot that stood out to me as a make-or-break moment, depending on how it's dealt with in future episodes. Ray Whitehill, Emery's father and a member of the Sector Enforcement Unit, shot and killed Nox, Roman's father and a leader of the Atrians, believing that Nox was going to attack. In reality, Nox was attempting to stop another man from striking against the sector's guards. If Star-Crossed can find a way to make Nox's death an inciting incident for change instead of just a wrench in the overall love triangle, the series might be able to salvage what it's got. I'm not particularly hopeful, but the chance is there nonetheless. 

At the outset, Star-Crossed seems dead set on telling the story of its literal star-crossed lovers as if they're a modern day Romeo and Juliet, instead of exploring the plight of the Atrians. And that's fine, because this is a show on The CW and not, say, the second coming of Battlestar Galactica, which was a beacon of greatness in the way it tackled what it means to be human. But even compared to the rest of the network's fare, Star-Crossed is lacking. The characters are flat, and the acting isn't much better. I enjoyed Aimee Teegarden's work on Friday Night Lights, but now I'm thinking her performance on that show was more a result of the quality of FNL's writing than her strengths as an actress. If Star-Crossed suddenly reboots in Episode 2 and starts tackling tougher questions about racism and humanity instead of who will make a better boyfriend, then I'll be happy to revisit it. Unfortunately, I know how The CW operates, and I just don't think that's going to happen.

NOTES

Star-Crossed appears to have a very, very optimistic outlook for technology in the year 2024... but was that a Roomba I saw traveling down the hallway at school? It wasn't even a DJ Roomba!

– There was a joke about Atrians having three penises. It wasn't funny, and only made me think about Taco's Three Penis Wine from The League

– When mixed with saffron, the blood of the Atrians has magical healing powers. Uhhhhkay.

– LOL at Jesse Luken—who plays Jimmy, Boyd Crowder's number two on Justified—appearing as a teenage bully on Star-Crossed. GO BACK TO HARLAN, DUDE.

What'd you think of Star-Crossed's series premiere? Will you be back for Episode 2?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/12/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

200 Comments
Comments (200)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
You can not even buy the DVD season 1 in the UK yet why not CW you have the rights you could be making money and you are just wasting the potential you have.

Flag
I missed the pilot of star crossed. Been wanting to watch in for over 6 months when I saw it was on Netflix in the USA. This programme has a lot of potential, I think that CW did not give it time or spend to much on the story line. With superman we know he was from a dying plant and that you saw some of krypton and where is was from.

This did not happen in Star crossed which is a shame. I think the pilot film should have started were the people from planet Atria left there planet to travel to this new world known as Earth.

To see a child of 6 years old being shot my soldiers is not a good start even if he was not killed.

This remained me a little about defiance which is a great series and is doing really well.

So I think if CW get someone to write a good story line regarding star-crossed it will do better. Just think it was aired last year 2014 and brought to the UK this year CW seems to give up very easy on the series they do like Tomorrow people and I am not sure if they were the ones who did Firefly which again was a really great series and was scrapped after just 1 season.

So my message to CW is to get your act together and listen to the viewers. bring back or do remakes of those programmes which was great and had great potential even if it means you have to sack some people and bring in new writer and producers.

I can go on but it may not make no difference CW just need to marked more regarding the products they are trying to sale to use Star-crossed CW could have got T-Shirts made and merchandise

regarding Star-Crossed and I am sure SF fans would have bought Item regarding Starcrossed.
More+
Flag
I just recently caught up w/this on Netflix and OMG I love it! The pilot was pretty much like Kaitlin says. But it does grow and become more as time goes on. It is really amazing. It's like Alien Nation and Roswell for the 2010's. A very enjoyable show. Also the aliens are almost all really sexy. What's that about?! Also there are a few black people. And as a black person, I can't beieve I didn't know that thing about Arkansas and the beginnings of integration. Wow! It wasn't perfect, the show, they could've done more, and maybe a channel other than CW would've, but they did a good CW job of it and made it entertaining to boot. So watch and enjoy. It's too bad that it ended in a cliffhanger and had such a shocker as well.
Flag
PLEASE BRING BACK STAR CROSSED I LOVE THIS SHOW
Flag
Miss this show. Pls bring back star crossed.
Flag
Please bring back star crossed i miss this show so much
Flag
Please bring back Star Crossed : (

Flag
. serialu is very nice but why do not you have given and continue this is my facebocku will beseech him please give continoarea :(
Flag
I love sci-fi but it still bugs me that they are in the middle of Louisiana and I find it interesting that once again all the Black people have disappeared. I guess between Hurricane Katrina and the aliens all Black people must have re-located.
Flag
C'mon there were some black people. LOL Sorry I know this is really late, but I just caught up on Netflix. OMG I loved it, yes, even as a black person. I mean c'mon it's the CW. It's gonna be like Friends or Seinfeld for NYC. Very thin on ethnic people despite there being a lot of us. But the heart and spirit of the story as well as a compelling story w/likable characters (the fantasy show) is there in any case.
Flag
Honestly, I don't care what anyone says. I actually love Star-Crossed. It's unique, && it's different. It's not something you see everyday... && it catches my attention. I, personally, think The CW should renew the show. It's only on Season 1. It takes a little while to really get to the point of what is "suppose" to happen in a series-based show. We can't be too fussy.
Flag
Excellent! After (finally) watching this, I cant' believe that it wasn't renewed. OMG! this show was extremely well done. It wasn't perfect, but there's so much stuff that isn't nearly as good getting renewed all the time. I guess the problem was probably the fact that I had no interest in it while it was being aired. If more of us had been into it then, then, maybe it woud've made it. I guess I shouldn't cry over it now huh?!
Flag
I think the same too. We don't have enough information to judge the plot yet. New plot twists come in every episode. People are just really fast to judge the tv show... I personally love Star Crossed. It's very different from all the other tv shows I've watched.
Flag
Well said, Destiny! :)
Flag
The whole Jesse Luken situation is freaking me out. What are you doing dude?
I mean going from Justified to Star-crossed. Really??
Flag
You know what I never understood, how almost every time there's an advanced alien society they crash on Earth. All this advanced technology and they can't seem to drive their own ships
Flag
LMAO! OMG, I know right? But everyone has technical difficulties. Right? C'mon, they do. LOL
Flag
clearly you don't watch the show. They explain it & boy it is a great explanation. leads to one of the best season finales I've ever seen. unfornuate that they billed the series as a love story. It's so much more.
Flag
Clearly you didn't read when I posted that comment. That was posted like 4 episodes before they even explained the whole Craster and Siroya thing (I have no idea how to spell Drake's mother's name). Also I am well aware of the other reasons this show sucked, which can be noted by my other posts. I have complained about the love story a lot, and stated they should have focused on the political stuff way more.
Flag
lol
Flag
I kind of liked it but two things bugged me. First I think Aimee Teegarden is way to old to play a 16-year old. It shows and isn't good. I'm also not happy about the deep hatred from both sides. It's just way too over the top.
Flag
Matt Lanter is 30. And married. He's hot - and I say that as someone older than him - but it's time to move past high school. For the record, Gabrielle Carteris - one of the most infamous cases of mutton-playing-lamb - was 29 when she started as Andrea Zuckerman on (the original) 90210.
Flag
Matt may be 30, but he looks great and I don't mind at all. Aimee on the other hand, looks tired. Her weight loss amplifies the lines around her eyes and mouth...which I find too distracting. HD is not her friend.
Flag
The show this most reminds me off is Alien Nation just re-written for the CW and it younger audience. It's all good.
Flag
I had the same feeling at first but it's already very different. Much better. Alien nation bothered me alot.
Flag
No, it's Roswell 2.0.
Flag
Bite your tongue Roswell was a hundred times better at least the first season.
Flag
Great Pilot episode. It has caught my attention and I will be continuing to view it each week. As far as Kaitlin Thomas' review? I tend to know that I will LIKE a show by how much the TV.com Staff hates it. Instead of giving a fair, unbiased review of a show (with maybe a last paragraph noting their personal thoughts) they just type of their own opinions and then sign it STAFF OF TV.COM and pass it off as gospel truth. oh well, I come here for FACTS about a show (episodes numbers, dates etc.) and only read their "reviews" for their comedic value.
Flag
Thank you. Finally an accurate review. Starcrossed will surprise you if you give it a chance. They oversold the romantic angle. Yes it has romance but great show doesn't. One of the reasons I could never get into Star Trek was no real passion in the show.
Flag
Glad to see someone else likes it. But it's not only the TV.com staff that didn't get it. I've been around to a few sites online and a lot of people were disappointed with it. I'm just not sure why. I haven't seen the second episode just yet, but I'm about to watch it and I hope it is as good as the pilot.
Flag
The funny thing is that the second episode is a lot better wrote then the pilot. The CW does the exact opposite of Thomas's review. They tackle the Little Rock 9 issue via a school board meeting, plus developing the relationships.
Flag
I'm extremely surprised so many people are hating on this show. I actually thought the pilot was really good. But everyone has different opinions, which I'm fine with. I just didn't expect so many people to dislike it. I really hope that they can someone change people's minds so that the show can continue, because I think it has potential. I am really looking forward to the next episode.
Flag
PPl are hating because they are ignorant. All those ppl who said they didn't like it, would change thier minds by the end of the series. I've seen it happen to many guys who's girlfriends made them watch it. Now they are one bitching about it online.
Flag
I'm with you girl,
I like it also do put it down till you watch it then if you don't like it then you don't like it but some people do, like me
Flag
I didn't love it, it seems like a stock alien-human relationship drama show. I am willing to give it the four episode test though. I think if they focus more on the politics and not on the relationship between Emery and Roman so much they should be a little more tolerable, but based on the second episode I'm not optimistic that will happen. They seem to be setting them up for some weird destined relationship thing like in Secret Circle.
Flag
Imagine a person that is not from the USA and doesn't know the history you drew parallels from. On what basis would that person criticize this show? How would it be any different from TVD or The Originals or Arrow?

Since i didn't know that part of american history i drew parallels from District 9. I actually thought they ripped off the idea from the movie almost 100%, but just made it about romance instead of racism and prejudice (although the show did raise those questions as well a lil bit) and i still didn't mind.

What i'm trying to say is, a reviewer should try to be a little bit less biased and judge a show on its own merits instead of comparing it to real life stuff it might have drawn its inspiration from. As a show on the CW i would say it fits perfectly. I even liked it more than the first episode of TVD. Was a lot less soapy.
Flag
I actually liked it
Flag
It has potential I guess..anyone else think Aimee Teegarden looks skinnier now than on her FNL days? And seriously though, Matt Lanter just spent 5 seasons on 90210 he is too damn old to play a high school character all over again.
Flag
There is not a single high school show where the "teenagers" look 16...
Flag
This is true but most of them at least look no older than 20..I think Matt Later is 30
Flag
Aimee Teegarden also looks too old. She's gorgeous, but too old for a teenager.
Flag
I really enjoyed it. Yes it did feel a little bit like a cross between Roswell and Dark Angel. But I found it enjoyable. Although I rarely don't like a CW show.
Flag
CW did bring all the actors and actors from canceled show they made and the dead from current show and this is the results, OMG it is totally boring from the first episode, and the big problem is the new show The 100, which is the new 4400, what is going with this network?????
Flag
So disappointed with this show...As a sci-fi fan,I wish they focused more in this part and less in teen show topics.
Flag
Well let's face it, if you want to see something without the teen aspect, you probably should have realised that this show wouldn't be for you.. seeing as it is about teenagers, lol.
Flag
I think my expectations of shows have been heightened due to the awesomeness of Teen Wolf, now all these shows that seem so one dimensional are just too disappointing to handle.
Flag
Lets remember that Teen Wolf wasn't always that awesome tv show that we all love. They had a shaky first season as well. Now, look were they are.
Flag
This is true. I might just have to leave this show till the first season is done and than watch it all in one shot like I did with Teen Wolf and TVD. Maybe it will get better but I don't think I can handle the slow torturous build up. How many episodes is this season gonna be? Short I hope, it will force them to move the story along.
Flag
I think a balance can be found.I enjoy watching other shows like Suburgatory or Pretty Little Liars because they add something more to the mix.
Flag
Going into the show, i expected it to be extremely bad, just based on the reviews given off this show. Thank you TV.COM i know now which reviewers to trust and which ones to just ignore. This, was an amazing pilot for a show that could have great potential. It slowed down in the middle a bit. But which pilot have you seen that doesn't go deeper and describe the characters before sending them off for a 1 season adventure? I'm not familiar with the cast at all. Accept for the Twilight kid. But the lead atrian and the lead female characters both play two very good, strong roles portraying their kind. Humans, and, Atrians. Getting a glimpse of how life in the Atrians shelter was interesting as it seemed more like a confined zone like a prison camp with all the guards monitoring every single detail. The show already is moving into the direction of atrians vs humans when i expected it to be something like defiance. And this is great. The preview for the next episode made me even more excited! Good job Star Crossed! Bad job Kaitlin Thomas!!
Flag
as for the love triangle. I'm sure that's over now that the twilight dude saw her running off with that atrian boy.
Flag
Oh, I think it's far from over, haha! :) Love triangles are all the hype lately, so of course they are going to jump on board on that train! Haha.
Flag
todays episode kind of concluded the love triangle as we seen twilight boy beeing an atrian as welll. and to be honest. arn't the two leads going to end up together anyways? why waste time on a love triangle when the story of segregation amongst humans towards aliens is perfect and is just juicy enough that i sigh when i see those romantic moments. Which thank fully doesn't happen a lot.
Flag
I have to disagree with you. I think you're judging the pilot too harshly. You said, "Its biggest flaw is that, in its debut hour, it let important questions of humanity, common decency, and racism take a backseat to yet another silly love story..." Well, at least to me, it seemed to address all of those. Humanity (twice), common decency (all throughout the episode), and racism (also all throughout the episode). I mean, there's only so much they can pack into one hour. I think we'll definitely see all these things continue to play out in future episodes, especially because they seem to be the core themes other than romance. As for the whole Nox situation, I think it will definitely be an inciting incident for change. In the preview for the next episode, it doesn't seem like a wrench has been thrown into the love triangle. And it doesn't mention anything about Roman's father, so who knows. Honestly, I thought the premiere was going to be horrible, but I decided to check it out. I was pleasantly surprised. Whether it continues to pleasantly surprise me is my real concern. I can see it getting better, but I can also see it getting worse.
More+
Flag
Hm, don´t wan´t to give up just yet, but it do seem a lot like Roswell.
Flag
I was planning to give this show a shot for two reasons Aimee Teegarden's new do and Malese Jow. Malese Jow dies in episode one. Also I don't like their cops either the cops are trigger happy nut jobs or have a such a poor aim as an imperial stormtroopers
Flag
she got saved at the last minute.you probably turned it off after thinking her character was going to die
Flag
Thanks for that... thats good to hear. though I'm not sure if its enough. I'm just a big fan of Malese Jow from her stint in Vampire Diaries after she was killed of there I slowly moved out of there
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Actually, she does not die in Ep.1...
Flag
It wasn't as bad as some people say it is. Ranking it among other CW shows, I'd put it below the 5 that were renewed, but above BatB, TTP and HoD (I don't watch TCD).
Flag
Can't come to watch a love triangle, just can't! There are too much triangles on CW and haven't seen even one in real world!
Flag
That's the thing about TV-shows. A lot of the time they will be nothing like reality! :) I mean... there are a lot of shows about aliens, and I still haven't seen any in real life, haha.
Flag
Except CW has love triangle s between vampires and human, aliens and humans, superheroes and humans and the generic humans and humans. I guess at one point you have to admit that it's too over the top. Almost like top was was earths and now we are in space looking for aliens to have love triangles with.
Flag
i myself love a good love triangle but i tend to agree with you on this one another love triangle show would suck big time.I mean i never seen a love triangle in real life i mean who does that.
As for the show it will be lame at best if the main focus on the show will be a love triangle. Using a love triangle as a linchpin for drama will be boring as hell mainly because the show is about the love between an alien and a human and watching a love triangle with a fix outcome will be boring beyond imagination because it has been done a million times over.
Now if the show main focus will be the romance between the two and the struggle they have to go through to find a place for that in both worlds and the impact the romance will have on the relationship between the two worlds that willl be more interesting. And use the love triangle not as a linchpin for drama but as a linchpin for further romance between the other characters that will be more interesting.
As a conclusion there's so much more to teenage life then stupid love triangles(which never happened in my life time), i've been a teenager and so did many of you and as much as romance played a part of that life there was so much more to it than that and i would love to see a show that explores that not just one single aspect.
More +
Flag
I actually loved it it was great, that teacher lady is creepy really why would you put someone's tesicles in a jar best line ever :) over all it was a clever episode I loved the hospital scene he's cute and he glows.
Flag

I haven't seen the show yet but I have to say I like Aimee Teegarden's new do.

Flag
So there are Aliens in school and they are all white ? And how many african american in this show ?
Except for that and the fact that the Aliens look like gothic teenagers, the pilot of the show wasn't as bad as it could have been. I'll be back for the 4 episodes test.
Flag
Notice how they "subtly" played the "ethnic minority best friend" card... That's just sad...
Flag
Lol he's barely her friend I think the black girlon the tomorrow people comes off as more of a best friend. then this guy. i'd say the chicks best friend is the girl form the hospital.
Flag
What I meant is that there's always a "friend" part for a black kid in these fictions. The writers can't seem to find it in their imagination to write a REAL part, so they put a black actor and put him/her in the background, giving him/her a few (often comedic) lines just so nobody calls the show for being racist. That's (I think) pretty lame and kinda sad.
Flag
Don't forget the type casting for the boss either.
Sometimes they do and those shows get cancelled. Look at "The L.A. Complex". They even make fun of that casting in its pilot episode (available on Netflix and so forth). That was a show that had a stong individual black casting with compelling story plot that wasn't best friend or boss.
Flag
No I totally get what you mean. I meant like they didn't even try to make him seem like her friend like if you take his scenes out it doesn't effect the story at all.
At least in Tomorrow People the black girl actually comes off as his best human friend. Though we see with the asian guy in TTP exactly what you just said (he's background comedic relief)
Flag
I had noticed. Sad indeed : it is easier to put aliens than Blacks in a show ....
Flag
So the "aliens" who serve as an allegory for racism are just regular white dudes. If the aliens wore turbans and spoke with an accent,many Americans would be much more likely to confront their issues. If only they made a show in which the guy was a Muslim. .. Wait, the CW did that already. It was called "Aliens in America. "
Flag
Oy. So many 20 and 30 year olds pretending to be teenagers.
Flag
My biggest problem is that they could find 20yr olds that actually look like teenagers, it's not that hard. I have friends up to 30 that still get seriously carded for rated r movies.
Flag
After finally watching it today, I agree. The leads look too old to play teenagers. I'll be skipping it. No more love triangles for me.
Flag
Since everything else is in reruns lately, I decided to give this a try. And I also just really like watching pilots and then never watching another episode of the show again?

It was okay. Certainly not bad but nothing really special either. I'd maybe give it another shot if my DVR wasn't already filled to the brim on Mondays.

Also, can we have The 100 already?
Flag
Mmm, let's see, NOT Roswell and NOT Alien Nation...

Will give it a couple more eps...
Flag
I thought it was a perfectly acceptable pilot. What happened to TV.com's tradition of the four episode test to judge quality?

First few episodes of Teen Wolf were shaky now it's amazing, the entirety of TVD season one was dodgy but it jumped in quality, Arrow season one was patchy but season two is hugely improved. Hell even the first few episodes of Breaking Bad were mediocre (and before anyone loses their shit I'm not saying this show will even reach the heights of BB).
Don't judge a book by its cover, don't judge a TV show by it's starter episodes.
Flag
Well said. I think pilots are extremely hard to make. Because you want to fit in as much as possible to make people understand the story and also connect with the characters, but sometimes they seem to be trying a bit too hard and can sometimes be rushing the storyline. I don't feel that is the case with this show though.
Flag
Hoesntly I think the biggest bug is the fact that how it lacks in creativity when it comes to the aliens look. It's just painted makeup, if people with tattoos can cover themselves then so could these aliens.
then there's this whole race thing that thats way too similar to civil rights movements in america when they could have take loads of other methods of alien/human projects and ones that are much more interesting.
Flag
Ditto. That"s exactly my first reasoning behind not watching the show. I haven't seen the pilot, it looks to painful but it does seem like a bad cross between Alien Nation and Roswell.
What is with CW totally belittling the cosmetic differences in their remakes ?

Beauty & the Beast:

Beauty and the Beast (1987) Poster
Ron Perlman had more than a minor scar and eyes that changed color, thank you. Not to mention by season two I don't think the new Vincent even has that scar anymore.

As for this show and Alien Nation, I'll just supply you with the opening credits of that show shall I (one of my favorite opening songs)?
Much better alien differences , and I'm sure with much better customs such as drinking spoiled milk.

And if you're just missing Roswell, here you go, for one of the best opening songs of all time:
Sure these aliens were full on human looking but that was part of the point, it was the mental alienation. Ha, I might of just got the play on words from the other show after all these decades. Hahahaha, sometimes, the mind is just so slow...
More +
Flag
that's because people expect aliens to be some kind of green/grey/brown color.... they expect the difference to be cosmetic...i`ll be more inclined if they are more different physically than aesthetically.

Flag
They don't have to be brown colored people actually exist...but anyways they don't have to be grey/green or super odd. Just something that isn't so plain and easy to cover up.
I listed in a different comment that if there tattoos were more similar to that of movie Beastly would even be better. Like metal intertwined maybe they're animated or were more raised from the skin instead of just pained on.
I mean it's 2014 and I see way too many actual people with face tattoos, and see 19yrs with their entire arms covered in tattoos.
Flag
i agree with you...... but i don`t think those tattoos are part of their biological structure(something they are born with).
I believe some sort of tribal organization was mentioned in the first episode and those tattoos could be markings specific to each tribe.
Its just plain speculation on my part here without some more information i can`t be sure.
Flag
So true about Teen Wolf! After 3 or 4 episodes I'd given up on it. Then I read one of Price's recaps where he said the show had gotten really good. I found a marathon a week before the season 1 finale and binged watched all day. Best decision ever after making the worst decision ever.

Yeah, I'm just here to praise Teen Wolf.
Flag
Being here just to praise Teen Wolf is absolutely acceptable in my book, commendable even. In fact if you want to make a career from waxing lyrical about the sheer genius that is Teen Wolf then I'll join you so long as we can discuss my crush on Mama McCall.
Flag
I thought Teen Wolf was surprisingly good right from the beginning. I actually preferred Season 1 to Seasons 2 and 3A (although if Season 3B stays on its current trajectory it may become my favourite).

In fairness, I will say that I can see the parallel to the love story in Season 1 of Teen Wolf which they successfully moved past in the later Seasons (to their credit).
Flag
Lots of crossing ideas ... it is a new show.
As part of a teenager older crowed *laugh at myself* .. i found a lot of the scenarios already done and something Im comfy with, but can point it out and roll my eyes at .. haha. :P
But Im having fun ... which is the main point.
Flag
So. I didn't hate it. I didn't like it very much either. There are a lot of things to improve. What makes me hopeful is the fact that there is a lot of material to do some truly fine things with in this series. But a mediocre or even bad pilot doesn't kill the whole series for me (TVD pilot, anyone?). I'm gonna give it a few more episodes and see if there's even a hint of improvement.
The one thing that truly bugged me was the lack of distinction between Atrians and humans. I wish they'd me *more* different and *more* alien. Plus the romance was done in the easiest way possible.
Still, I'll give this thing a chance. After my experience with Star Gate SG-1 (bored by the first few episodes initially, became a devoted fan later, watched all 10 seasons multiple times) I almost never give up on a series after the first few episodes (The Beauty and the Beast being the exception, duh). Get it together, Star-Crossed! You have the potential to be a fine show, just don't waste it doing things the easy way!
Flag
i personally fell in love with the tvd about four minutes into the first episode, but i was already in love with nina dobrev from degrassi, so grain of salt :P
and also, sg-sg1 was one of my favourite television shows growing up. i love the entirety of the stargate franchise!
Flag
Yeah, me too. But I have to admit I wasn't crazy about it after the first three or four episodes. But I pushed through 'cause my friend kept telling me how amazing it was. Now, I can't even remember what was it that I didn't like at first. I watched the entire series (as well as Atlantis) at least half a dozen times.
And I liked the TVD pilot, too. Objectively speaking though, it *was* kinda terrible. =]
Flag
atlantis i wish they had given an actual ending to- that really bothered me. and then they had Universe, which i still have the second half of to watch, but i'm hesitant to because it'll likely be the last ten or so "new" episodes of stargate i will ever get to watch :(
Flag
something I often ask myself when I see a piece of crap like this get put on the air is why these actors would even take such a job, I mean what about this script appealed to them?

This show wont even make it through its first season and that's a good thing
Flag

I seriously do not trust Drama Tv at all...

I do not know what to say, about Drama Tv entertainment category anymore...

I have give it hope, destiny and fate for about 7 years now... It's always have been big disappointment, changes to storylines, relationship break-ups and even the while series itself break-ups with cancellations...

And why do we must have to wait always to the Last Season/Endgame? To see the storylines and relationships being restored back to normal again...

Maybe that is the problem with Drama Tv always getting cancel off the airwaves... They always wait to the Last Season/Endgame to restore everything back to normal again...

Heck, no!!! I am most definitely sure now, my viewership is out of Drama Tv entertainment category... There is no way i am gonna wait 5 years into the future... To see everything turn back to normal again by storylines and relationships...

Flag
I was not impressed. But these are some good actors and a solid production. I will still have to give it a few more episodes before it goes on the shop.
Flag
So I called into a friend last night who was watching this and all I can say is WTF !!! It seems that they took Alien Nation and made it into a love story for the 20 something's. Now I know that what I said is not what everyone thinks but if you think about it the start of Alien Nation was something of the same and years later the new comers where every where. In short the same but messed up as a love story.
Flag
Way to go Kaitlin. People are deciding to "not" watch based on your negative critique. It wasn't as bad as you would have us believe. Who knows maybe as the series develops the show will solve all the social and ethical problems where humanity has failed.
Flag
Easy on, it was a perfectly constructed criticism. Unlike your own!
Flag
Well thank you :)
My point was, this show is about teen angst / human, alien relations drama. Not a documentary on the failings and cure of humanity.
Why not give it a chance before blowing it out of the water.
"Perfectly constructed criticism" Really?
Flag
^ missed a word there "a perfectly fine constructed criticism"
Flag
Not sure why it is about winning! Some people like things, some people don't. I haven't even seen the show, so have no opinion on if it was good or not.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I did not want to watch but now i am having second thoughts..... it sounds sharnado bad...
Flag
ignore the reviews. This show was great.
Flag
I love this show already! Please get it renewed!
Flag
When I first heard about this pilot, I was super excited. The CW was obviously trying something different but this time- it just didn't work out...still, I think it has potential if the show realizes that it can be more than just another bland love story. idk, the biggest flaw of this series was that it just didn't make me want to watch the second episode...it made me want to rewatch Roswell specifically the episode where Max cures the kids with cancer.

The main characters are obviously way to old for their parts and I HATE when shows introduces things like "the Atrian 7" and just focuses on one of them. In fact, only three others had speaking roles and the others were just extras. That is super annoying.
Flag
So, 'Roswell' meets 'District 9' and doesn't sound like it could hold a candle to either.

Between the WB and CW, there have been (and currently are) enough quality shows that I can't give the network a pass when it puts out a stinker.

The Vampire Diaries started out a little sketchy too so all hope isn't lost. But that doesn't mean I'm going to watch and find out. I'll let other folks give this show it's test run before dipping my toe in the water.
Flag
This show is amazing!!! I have been waiting to watch a show like this where humans are living among superior beings from another planet outside the solar system... You all may not believe but this exact story line is what is happening right now on our planet. We just never see it or hear about it... We are one species on planet earth within our solar system... To date there is about 80 different species... Lets all wait for the date when Barack Obama declassifies all UFO related documents and announces to the world that there are others living among us... "I can't wait"

Flag
i watched it with a friend who had already planned on watching the series and thought that the sooner they make the love triangle a b-plot and focused on other things the better. And the more likely i am to watch it myself without just watching it at a friends house because she is my ride home and I couldnt leave any earlier.
Flag
I totally would have dropped you home earlier if you wanted to go - too bad Nizz and I overruled you. Suck it up princess! We'll be watching next week. I honestly didn't think it was too bad. The love triangle bit was a grab at viewers, obviously it failed. But hey, Matt Lanter is cutie so it ain't all bad.
Flag
Oh hey K!!! I didnt know you would see that, but I guess I will give it some time, especially if I am overruled!!
Flag
I thought this show was pretty good. Although the article had some good points like the show should be based on things other then romance. Obviously they will end up together but hopefully it is a long road before that happens.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members