A Star-Crossed Community
The CW (ended 2014)

It might be the middle of February, and you might be huddled under a mountain of blankets trying to keep warm, but that doesn't mean there aren't still new shows to be debuted and mocked and praised! The midseason premieres are still premierin', and The CW's newest drama Star-Crossed is the latest series to come under the critical eye of our trusty regular feature, Hey TV.com, Is This Show Any Good? So take five minutes out of your day to determine whether you need to clear space on your DVR for Star-Crossed, or if you can go back to watching the Olympics/hibernating until spring.

Star-Crossed, so this is a show about star-crossed lovers?

Yes, there is indeed a pair of literally star-crossed lovers at the forefront of Star-Crossed, but the title is also a reference to the series' science-fiction/alien premise. Set in the near future—the year 2024, to be exact—Star-Crossed follows the lives of Emery, a 16-year-old human girl with an immune deficiency, and Roman, a 16-year-old alien boy from the planet Atria. Also, the two of them probably, totally, eventually fall in love. Star-Cross's not-all-that-complicated backstory goes something like this: In May 2014, a spaceship full of Atrian refugees crash-landed near Baton Rouge, and instead of welcoming their unexpected visitors with open arms, the Earthlings rounded them up and forced them into a good ol' fashioned ghetto to live out their lives as loathsome creatures who were meant to be feared. But amidst all the chaos, a young alien boy (Roman) escaped from the crash and took refuge in a nearby barn. That's when he was befriended by six-year-old Emery, who fed him cold spaghetti until he was eventually tracked down and seemingly killed before her eyes. When the show picks up ten years later, seven Atrian teens are being integrated into the human school system, and Roman and his sister are among them. Emery locks eyes with Roman on that first day of school, and it's 100 percent love at second sight.

Who stars in Star-Crossed, and who created it?

Star-Crossed was created by Meredith Averill, a former producer on The Good Wife, and stars Friday Night LightsAimee Teegarden as Emery, Matt Lanter as Atrian hunk Roman, and Grey Damon (and his best Boyd Crowder hair impersonation) as the accepting human Grayson. The series has also dipped into the The CW's pool of actors who've been killed off The Vampire DiariesMalese Jow plays Julia, Emery's best friend, and Susan Walters plays Roman's mother Maia. (Walters previously played Tyler Lockwood's mother on TVD, and she sometimes pops up as Lydia Martin's mother on Teen Wolf. I don't want to say she's being typecast, but she's being typecast.) Brina PalenciaTitus Makin Jr.Natalie HallChelsea Gilligan, Greg FinleyJay Huguley, and Andrea Frankle round out the cast. 

When does Star-Crossed touch down on our TV sets?

Star-Crossed premieres Monday, February 17 at 8pm. It's moving into the time period formerly reserved for Hart of Dixie, which is moving to Fridays beginning on March 21. Once the Olympics are over, Star-Crossed will be up against The Voice on NBC, How I Met Your Mother and 2 Broke Girls on CBS, Almost Human on Fox, and The Bachelor on ABC. 

Who might enjoy Star-Crossed?

Fans of teenage drama and angst will probably enjoy the teeming mounds of teenage drama and angst that litter Star-Crossed's landscape. The series has an obvious "lovers from two different sides of the tracks" feel, so if that's your thing, you might enjoy it. For comparison's sake, Star-Crossed somewhat resembles The WB's Roswell, though its storylines aren't nearly as good or exciting as Roswell's. 

What shines bright about Star-Crossed?

The obvious allegory (to anyone who's taken a class in U.S. civil rights) to the Little Rock Nine (the nine African-American students who were enrolled at Little Rock Central High School in 1957 in an effort to end segregation) is a compelling idea, and one I applaud The CW for tackling. Race relations isn't a topic we see on TV all that often given how far removed people think we are from the Civil Rights Movement, and because it's not a particular time in history that many Americans proudly look back on. Star-Crossed has the potential to raise some important questions... as long as it doesn't put all of its effort into the central love story.

What feels more like a black hole?

Star-Crossed doesn't go far enough in its exploration of what makes Atrians and humans different; as of the first couple episodes, it appears that the only thing separating the two races are the Atrians' facial tattoos. The series also doesn't make any attempt to tackle the real oppression that's happening to the Atrian race, instead choosing to focus on good-looking men fighting each other because they're hormonal teenagers. Now that The CW has vampires, witches, werewolves, and Tomorrow People, a true science-fiction series about a race of aliens could be a nice addition to the roster, but Star-Crossed seems to care more about its love story than it does about building an interesting narrative about the integration of two races. 

What's more, Star-Crossed's central premise of two lovers who can't be together because they're from different worlds is not only tired and boring, but too weak to sustain an entire series. Setting the show in the future and making one of the lovers a literal alien doesn't make the story any more exciting than the hundreds of other stories that've revolved around similarly fated couples. 

Finally, the show's characters have zero personality; I have little to no interest in any of the characters or their lives, and that's not how viewers should feel after a pilot.

So, should I watch it?

I'd say no—you can probably pass on Star-Crossed and not feel bad about it. 

Can I take a look at a trailer anyway?

Of course. Here you go!

thekaitling:list:star-crossed-will-you-watch/

Star-Crossed premieres Monday, February 17 at 8pm on The CW.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/12/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

160 Comments
Comments (160)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'll watch it simply for the sake of not calling it "filler before The Tomorrow People"
Flag
WTF, you cal this CRAP SF ?!
Flag
I actually thought this was pretty good. It wasn't horrible or anything but wasn't really exceptional television either. I typically disagree with this site's opinions on new shows, but we'll see what happens in the future.
Flag
wow, that trailer makes this show look soooo bad, if they can't even make the trail look good you just know the show is a crap-fest.

a real shame too, the premise has potential, but this looks like a bunch of too old for high school rich white 30yr olds pretending to be kids against a bunch of too old for high school rich white 30yr olds pretending to be kids with facial tattoos, in a shallow teenage drama that is trying to capitalize on a segregation story with no diversity in the cast.

bleck.
Flag
I'm not sure if a trailer has ever made me LESS excited to watch a show.
Flag
I will give it a chance, but I fear it will be a poor man's Roswell with even "prettier" teens = more boring.
Flag
Even if this show remotely appealed to me I will never again knowingly/willingly subject myself to the awfulness that is Aimee Teegarden. FNL is one of my all time favourites but she and Landry's murder plot were the series' two low points.
Flag
Someone should do a serious study on CW shows and its effects on the IQ of its ridiculous teen demographic. I'm sure the effects of Meth would pale in comparison.
Flag
My first impression is that this looks terrible. BUT . . .

Many CW shows start weak and take a few episodes to get their act together. Plus the CW is more willing than other networks to tolerate mediocre ratings and reviews while a show does get its act together.

The thing that worries me most is the segregation / integration storyline. There seem like a lot of ways to do that badly and very few ways to do it well.

Flag
There are so many reasons to not watch this show, but.. Aimee Teegarden!
Flag
I think this is one for the dead pool !
Flag
"The obvious allegory (to anyone who's taken a class in U.S. civil rights) to the Little Rock Nine (the nine African-American students who were enrolled at Little Rock Central High School in 1957 in an effort to end segregation) is a compelling idea, and one I applaud The CW for tackling. Race relations isn't a topic we see on TV all that often given how far removed people think we are from the Civil Rights Movement, and because it's not a particular time in history that many Americans proudly look back on. Star-Crossed has the potential to raise some important questions... as long as it doesn't put all of its effort into the central love story."

Hopefully without coming across as "the angry black guy", shows like this always trigger my WTF-o-meter.

A network wants to offer up a show that touches on segregation and race relations, yet (from what I can tell) has but two actors of colour in it's "main" cast? Amazingly, there are 32 acting credits given on the main page and over 120 on the expanded list. Sadarias Harrell and Victoria Gabrielle Platt are credited for appearing in 7 and 8 episodes respectively of the 13 listed.

Having seen nothing but the trailer for this show, I can't really condemn it, but I'm certainly not about to give credit to the CW for anything. Let's face it, if you're a black actor on a CW show, there's an awfully good chance that you're a witch. This is not a network known for it's diversity.

The CW like to cater to teen audiences, I appreciate that. But if segregation and race relations is a topic they actually want to hit on, why not actually make a show about it instead of hinting at it through the veneer of the typical actors they employ and making it about aliens?

{shrug} Pretty sure I'm gonna pass.
More+
Flag
Unfortunately, it is hard to find any show on any network that has a racially diverse cast. They really should, but they don't.

Of course, this does bring up the topic of if racially diverse happens a lot in real life. Mostly white people hang out with white people and it seems like that with other races as well. I don't live in that racially a diverse area so I don't really know what realistic things like that could be.
Flag
Nah i'll pass, im done Teen Drama's from the CW. TVD was the last straw.
Flag
Bah, I'll give it a couple of episodes before deciding either way, CW shows have (pleasantly) surprised me before.
Flag
Dear Susan Walters... please go back to headlining a show.. I remember you on USA's the Big Easy... and Y&R... you can do this.. you're not just a Mom lol
Flag
These "aliens" are even more failtastic than the beasts in "Beauty and the Beast."
Flag
SOUNDS AWFUL! GIVING THIS A MISS!
Poll

Flag
Oddly enough, I have to do all of these boring household duties (as I'm selling the house), so looks like I definitely won't be watching Star Crossed. I think I'll live, :P
Flag
Watch paint dry on my newest oil painting on my wall - yes!!!
Flag
THANK YOU for introducing me to "Roswell." I can already tell me finding out about that series will be the best thing to come out of "Star-Crossed." I can see why everybody is comparing the two and saying Roswell is superior.

Also, even though I'm not far into the series (binge-watching it all day though!) I'm getting major "Twilight" vibes off Roswell - it's like Stephanie Meyer took the plot, cut out all the interesting, intellectual parts, and substituted vampires for aliens.
Flag
I re-watched Roswell a couple years ago and I got the same impression. Even some dialogues from Roswell are in the Twilight Saga, not only from the pilot, but the first and second season. I was a little disturbed by that.
Flag
Matt Lanter didn't look 16 in 2009.... but also I love him/ his face so I may watch/ perv?
Flag
There is nothing else on at that time, so I'll check it out. I like to give shows the 4 episode test.
Flag
I'm on the fence, but will at least check out an episode or two to see if I like it.
Flag
I'm gonna go ahead and pass on this one. I'm waiting for the other future-set series the CW is coming out with, The 100, which has a better premise. There's nothing wrong with a love story, but I hate when it's the central plot.
Flag
The only way I'd watch this is if at the end of the pilot, the alien guy sheds his skin and is revealed to look more like the alien from "Alien", and it turns out he's part of a secret plot with his Atrian buddies to take overtake earth "Mars attacks" style.
Flag
Good ol' CW, hiring a bunch of 30 year olds to play high school kids.
Flag
They did the same thing on Friday Night Lights though. I don't mind as long as they're 30 year olds that can act and the CW lot typically aren't.
Flag
Wow.... I don't think there is going to be one single ounce of originality in this series. The CW is seriously going lazy. I can already imagine the inevitable conversation that Emery will have with someone (probably Roman) "I just want things to get back to normal" "I don't even know what normal is anymore", which eventually gets resolved with a sentimental variation on the concept of "Let's make a new normal, all for us. And let's make it be about love!".
I have no intention of watching this, and it's a pity, because they really could have done something interesting with an idea like that. But seriously, like... no.
Flag
Most CW shows aren't original so this shouldn't be a surprise. They are either remakes, based off of something else that isn't a TV show, dumb reality shows, or soapy teen angst dramas.
Flag
The sad thing is they sometimes have cool premises, and they turn them into soapy teen angst drama. It bugs me, because I know they are actually capable of making good shows, but they're too scared to go outside of their predefined formula - which they know works "well enough".
Flag
You're probably right about that. If they would venture out into new territory, then they wouldn't be the lowest rated network on basic TV. Even NBC probably thinks that their ratings are crap and they are right. In fact, I don't think that a CW show has ever gotten fourth place or higher or total viewership of more than 5 million.
Flag
Of course I'm going to watch this. It looks stellar (pun!) and perfect. The cast and acting look amazing. The plot is fresh and hip. Very cool tattoos, I can't wait to see all the awesome designs they come up with. I'm already hooked!
Flag
Wow, so they cancelled Nikita for this.
Way to go CW! LOL
Flag
They cancelled Nikita cause its ratings we're terrible since season three(it was the lowest rated show on cw for it's entire run)& Maggie q and the showrunner only wanted four seasons and the showrunner has a new show .
Flag
So the actor, matt lanter is 30 years old and is playing a 16 year old high school student. It's like they don't even try anymore
Flag
To say "they don't even try anymore" is to give the false impression that at some point in the past, the CW had a habit of employing high school age actors to play high school age characters.
This has never really been the case, so, better to say, "It's like they never try" :P
Flag
Well Shenae Grimes was 18 when she started on 90210 so...it's all a matter of opinion. You can have 16 year-old actors who are inexperienced or more capable 20 somethings. Yes in this case Matt Lanter is way past the age of being able to get away with playing a teen and it's ridiculous but in general, I'd rather see a twenty-something. It also makes me feel less creepy for drooling over the inevetiable shirtless scenes.
Flag
Ok, that's one. Good call. 18 is still technically high school age. I was a legal adult for almost 6 months before I graduated myself.
Now, given labor restrictions imposed on those 17 & under & the higher cost of insuring under-agers, can you give some examples of CW high school players that are actually minors?

Who knows? There might be one or two...& there might be a mess of background unpaid extras 17 & under for filler shots here & there, but It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find zero underage "high school" actors that get a regular paycheck for speaking parts in any CW show.

Flag
I know I was thinking the same thing!!! Isnt that the dude from 90210 he is not even close to 19 and playing a 16 year old lol They just really stopped trying.
Flag
Someone tried to make a District 9/Roswell hybrid, and it resulted in to this mess.

You know who doesn't look 16 anymore? Aimee Teegarden. She would have been perfect for that role when, you know, she was 16, but now she really looks like a grown-ass woman. You're well into your 20s, Aimee - time to get out of high school.

And that trailer... Oi. Just pitiful

On any other network, this thing would be cancelled asap, but, on the CW, it will last, at the very least, two seasons. Looking forward to NOT watch any of them.

Flag
I find it ridiculously hilarious that a show using a civil rights movement as its inspiration has absolutely no diversity. The cast is basically all White, industry standard good looking, able bodied 20 somethings.
Flag
waiting for The 100
Flag
gonna watch Roswell instead too..the CW was soo lazy in creating aliens who don't even look alien..they look like all the other tattooed guys i see around Cape Town!
Flag
Of course, most aliens or various other mystical creatures look exactly like humans do. So to get mad at this would mean to get mad at every other lazy show and movie that did the exact same thing.
Flag
Reminds me of recent Star Trek shows where they thought putting just a bump on their nose made characters an alien where in all else they were human.

Maybe CW should have thought to do an alien version of Beauty and the Beast with a real, made up alien creature with a kind heart.
Flag
This really does look like a poor man's Roswell. I think I'm gonna pass. Might go rewatch Roswell.
Flag
I'm a sucker for stories about star-crossed lovers, so I'll give it a go. But hopefully another interesting plot will emerge because romance on TV is usually either painfully slow and torturous or really boring. Unfortunately this review sounds rather unpromising.
Flag
I am a sucker for difficult romances too but it's true that a good story - serial specifically - has to have something else in it too, not just teenagers pining for each other. When there's a healthy amount of meaningful plot outside the main couple, the romance will be more meaningful too.

And I agree, this does not seem promising at all which really, really sucks, because I'd really love to watch a decent romantic sci-fi series.
Flag
I liked Roswell and all, but if this show isn't better than Roswell, then.....meeeeh.
Flag
This show looked like crap from the start and now im getting confirmation. The biggest mistake they could ever make was not setting some definition of what makes these aliens different from people. If the only difference is some crap tattooed on their faces thats just stupid and shows a real lack of creativity.
Flag
It's the CW - they could have made an additional difference: "three nipples" - and given the show the excuse it needed for its myriad inevitable shirtless scenes!
Flag
my thoughts exactly!
Flag
16?
Seriously?
If you swap "scar" for "tattoo" you have a remarkably similar approach to BATB.

It does make me curious about something I'd forgotten on a much better show - what ever happened to the significance of the tattoos on Teen Wolf...?
Flag
Nope.
Flag
from the sounds of it its time to dig out the Roswell DVD box set and watch Max n co. eating ice cream with tabasco sauce instead
Flag
more teenage drama and love stories on the cw.... Shocking!! No thanks, because in truth when i see teenage drama, no matter what the scifi or supernatural attempt is on it, i want to smack those teenagers for being idiots. -- of course to be honest, even if they made the aliens cool and really went into it, i would not watch it, because its teenagers and really its time to be more realistic and get out of the damn high schools on shows.
Flag
Only ten years in the future.....that's never a good thing to do. It'll be laughably dated in a decade. I mean, even more so than teen programs usually are.
Flag
Not even going to waste my time with this
Flag
This looks pretty dead on arrival to me so why bother?
Flag
These "teens" look like they are in their late 20s...and could pass as models.
Flag
CW has this thing about only hiring beautiful people
Flag
They don't call it the "Pretty People Network" for nothing.
Flag
They also have a thing about hiring people who are too old to play teenagers, and people who are too young to play their parents and grandparents.
Flag
And white people, even when the show is set in the American South.
Flag
That's the thing that always bothered me about the Secret Circle!
Flag
That's where they had a guy in his early forties play a parent, and someone who was 12 years older than him play his mother.
Flag
"Star-Crossed will be up against The Voice on NBC, How I Met Your Mother and 2 Broke Girls on CBS, Almost Human on Fox, and The Bachelor on ABC."

Good luck with that.
Flag
it wont even get to the end of its first season
Flag
I thought the same thing about Beauty and the Beast but look how that went. You never can tell with these things.
Flag
they look too old for highschool;so is this story .
Flag
Tatties? What about people who got face tattoos before the "aliens" arrived? Is Mike Tyson considered one of these "tatties" now? Come to think of it, he is pretty out there.....
Flag
because these liens have very specific "tattos" that are indistinguishable from normal human tattoos? Im pretty sure humans in the show will still have tattoos but no one is gonna confuse them for an alien.

Im also pretty sure some humans WILL give themselves those very disguinguishible tattoes to try to pass themselves off as aliens to maybe sneak into on some alien metting their plotting or something like that..... i.e im SURE the whole "the aliens look like humans but have indistuishible markings" will be used as a plot device multiple times for betrayal, infiltration, making teh aliens look bad or guilty of a crime they didnt really do etc etc
Flag
For some reason I always hold out hope for a sf-\/fantasy series that isn't a soap. Something adult, with pressing storylines reflecting society's problems. I also keep wondering why I'm holding out this hope. Do I love shows like Firefly too much to say they were as bad, or were they actually good and if so, how come we don't make them like that anymore?
Flag
They were actually good!... I enjoyed so much watching Firefly, Stargate SG1 or Quantum Leap again but i would never waste my time doing so with TVD, Arrow, etc. V (Visitors) is the perfect exemple: a great tv show in the past and look at what they did with it a couple of years back! Fortunately there are still fascinating shows out there (looking' at ya, Game of thrones!)
Flag
or maybe ppl dont watch these things for love stories? beauty and the beat is about a woman who loves a guy thats a genetic mutation... yet thats not ALL the show is about, other stuff happens and THATS what makes it watchable...... vampire diaries is also nothing like twilight sure its about a girl who likes a vampire and still LOTS of other stuff aside from their love happens in gthe show that makes is watchable interesting... im hoping star crossed will be the same.... ie other lines try to kill her or him, humans who dont like aliens will hunt him etc etc to make the show interesting
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members