Stargate Atlantis

Broken Ties

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jul 25, 2008 on Syfy

• And they all lived happily ever after...

What a load of b*llocks! Do you honestly believe the ending should have been this neat? Firstly, Teyla should have retired off active duty. She's a mother now. First priority is the kids or she's a bad parent! What does she contribute nowadays? A bit of kung-fu? Everyone knows all about the planets locally now, and her people are rarely in it, so she has no real use. Oh and she's part Wraith. Great. That's it!

And the Ronon storyline. Does anyone else believe that both his and Tyre's recovery and reversal of allegance were a little too easy.

I think that Ronon should have escaped Atlantis as a new villain at the end.

That would have been more interresting.

As it was, it was like one of those episodes that starts and ends pretty much at the same point. This episode had potential and it wasted it.

Boring.
  • See Summary

The episode, Broken Ties, of Stargate Atlantis was very character building for Ronin. This episode primarily focused on him. He did a lot of growing as a person in this episode which was nice to see. Another character, Mr. Woolsey, also showed a different, yet predictable other side to himself as well. He is becoming more relaxed in his role, though not enough, and is finding his way as well. The Wraith get a hold of Ronin and try to turn him into a Wraith Worshiper. The Wraith believed they have succeeded and turn Ronin upon his team from Atlantis, only to be destroyed by them. This was a great, entertaining, engaging episode!!!
  • This is the episode where Ronon is captured by the Wraith, and they try to turn him into a Wraithworshipper. Also Teyla must make a decision about rejoining the Atlantis team.

Woosly was great in this episode. I didn't expect him to have funny parts, but he did it very well. They were some of the best moments of this episode. I hope they keep giving him funny moments. I enjoyed the moments when Teyla was talking to Sheppard. They were really nice. I liked how Sheppard didn't inform her of the mission, to try to get her to make a decision faster. Sheppard was really great in these conversations.

I can't wait to figure out more about how the baby fits into all this - so far it's been really great - I hope they keep him on Atlantis. And I want to know what there doing with Kannan. I actually want to see him turn back to a badguy again and work for Micheal. That would leave the door back open for a Sheppard/Teyla ship. I picture Kannan like the Pete for Sam on Stargate. There for awhile, but not her true love.

Back to the episode at hand, I was a bit confused towards the end of the episode. Even with the wraith enzyme in Ronon, I don't think he would have given in - that didn't seem right to me. But overall a really great episode. Much better than last season and I'm loving the baby parts (espescially if Sheppard was in them!)
  • Somehow weird episode...

7.4
    After quite good previous episode maybe I had my hopes too up but this was.. disappointing. The main storyline was again nothing too special and somehow this time it looked illogical. I understand there were some great camera works trying to show how both Ronon and his friend suffered in different places in different progresses but it looked too simple - specially turning Ronon back for their side.

Teyla doubts and her decision - it was the best part of the episode. I think it really made her char more believable and the whole atmosphere and the way she was talking with Woosley.. it was the part what made this episode worth.. what had some depth.
  • ok, I guess...

It seems like SGA has had a pretty bad start this season. In this episode, Ronon was captured by his old buddy. Tyre basically gave him to the wraith so that the wraith could turn Ronon into a slave. In the end, of course, Sheppard and the team save Ronon and he gets back to normal. I didn't really like the story in this episode, but I did like the character development of Ronon. I loved Woosley's several funny moments. He's growing to be a great character. I hated the whole part with Teyla trying to figure out if she was going to be on the team or not. I was hoping she wouldn't because then I wouldn't have to ese her again....Overall, bad story but great character developments.
  • Another Ronon episode just misses the mark

If it's a character-based episode early in a season of "Stargate Atlantis", then it's a good guess that it's a Ronon-centric episode. Looking back on the past few seasons, this is practically a matter of inevitability. I recall a similar thing happening to the character of B'Elanna on "Star Trek: Voyager". The writers would incrementally advance her personal character arc in an early episode of every season, and once that was out of the way, she basically fulfilled her function within the ensemble without much variation.

Ronon fills a very comfortable niche on Team Atlantis, playing the requisite tough with consummate warrior skill and a gruff good nature. He's essentially the Teal'c of the series, and as such, episodes devoted to Ronon inevitably pertain to others of his kind. The Satedans have never been my favorites (and that includes the infamous episode "Sateda" itself), so I was wary, to say the least.

Fortunately, the writers took a slightly different approach with the Ronon-centric episode this season. Normally, when a main character is subjected to the kind of experience seen in this episode, the character manages to resist against all odds, demonstrating his endlessly heroic nature. So it was a bit rewarding to see Ronon, perhaps the strongest member of the team, succumb to the Wraith brainwashing.

The brainwashing itself helped to explain why some humans would choose to align with the Wraith in the first place. It may have been alluded to in the past, but I certainly don't remember anything about the addictive qualities of Wraith life restoration. I don't think it applies to every Wraith worshipper, since simple self-interest is enough of an explanation and this seemed to be more of an experimental approach, but it does flesh out a grey area.

Otherwise, I found the story to be rather predictable. I was basically waiting for Tyre to rescue the team after his supposed betrayal, and Tyre's sacrifice was completely telegraphed. Considering how much of the episode's power hinged on Tyre's redemptive arc, it was a bit disappointing for the story to be so "cookie cutter". If Ronon's part of the story could take a daring turn, why should Tyre's part of the story fall into predictability?

Speaking of which, this episode was also devoted to exploration of Teyla's position on Team Atlantis. I've been concerned since the moment the pregnancy was written into the series, and especially since the baby was saved. Pregnancy seems to be the easy road for drama when it comes to female characters in the genre, but "baby plots" slip into annoying cliché all too often for my taste. For better or worse, Teyla is not one of the headliner characters, so the impact is lessened.

Even so, if Teyla's character development this season is largely devoted to the struggles of motherhood, I'll be disappointed. I would like to think that the character deserves better than the never-inventive "working mother" plot thread, mixed with the "aren't babies cute?" scenes. We had one such scene with Woolsey in this episode, and I think it was quite enough. Unfortunately, the writers seem to have no intentions of sidelining the baby, so it remains to be seen how it will be handled. (I'm waiting, of course, for the inevitable kidnapping episode.)
  • Worst episode ever.

I'm not going to spoil it, but I really hope the future episodes are better than this. It made little sense, all about drug withdrawal and family priorities.

The camera and effects team seems to have lost focus, making poor visual effects and boring scenes.

Since I need to write what I think about the episode in 100 word, I'm just going to summarize with: Worst Atlantis episode ever!

Come on people, you are the ones that invented the midway-staion. Otherwise from this episode, Atlantis has been a spectacular journey. One that I will remember forever. Keep up your regular good work guys and girls.
  • mmm wow very good to watch!

i think this 1 was well written i liked the way it flowed and was acted from start to end not a boring minuted. it was good to see another tool that the wraith have i dont think that will be the last of that story with the wraith drug in the brain. i also im glad that they has finished off a story which was a problem in past seasons. i wondered when solen was going to come back in to it. i like the way they sent him out with a bang. a really big one lol. woolsey... so far i think he is doing ok i liked the way they are bringing him in like he is lost i think he will do a good job be cause he is a very good actor.
  • Another completely generic SciFi plot: a tertiary character who we thought was a bad guy semi-dramatically redeems himself and is cleared off of the stage. At least in Stargate SG-1 characters would gripe and moan when they were caught in a plot cliche.

2.6
    Stargate: Atlantis has always lived in an uneasy place between interesting takes on well-executed standard Sci-Fi plots, and completely generic takes on standard Sci-Fi plots (including the tendency to leave the world of our heroes essentially unchanged, at best leaving a seed for a later better episode to draw on). One gets the feeling that the way that things work in the writer's room is that the powerhouses say, "OK, we need to have A, B, and C set up in episodes before our stuff airs for sweeps or finales."

So far this season is the latter - nothing changes except a plot element that can be summarized in a sentence ("Ronon is hooked on Wraith enzymes and turns on the team, but he's okay now... for the moment"): I'm hoping that they're saving their A-list episodes - they tend to be written by veterans of Stargate: SG-1, who are at least add some ironic recognition to the times they use boilerplate SF plotting (eg, when Jack snarks, "didn't I see this on Star Trek?").

So it goes. I have to wonder how many of the people who keep rating this stuff highly have seen much of past SF series (including a few times in SG-1), since this kind of plot has been seen so many times before it ought to be issued a standard serial number, just like the joke about prison inmates memorizing the joke book ("Some people just can't tell a joke").
  • Amazing episode.

This is a really great episode. No story development but a great Ronon episode. First time i decide to write a review. As i started watching the episode i was wondering about the future of this show. Never got out SG-1's shadow. And they have to lead the francise into a third SG-1 movie and the Universe spinoff. I'm thrilled to finally see a major script. SG-1's episode of brainwashed Teal'c wasn't even close. The drama is intense. Good fights. The understand look Sheppard gave Tyre when he said "i'll be right behind you". Great script, great acting. Amazing Episode.
    Keep it up and maybe we'll get to 10 seasons as well.
  • One word: AWESOME!

A Ronon!ep. Jason Momoa was just great in this episode. He's getting better and better. He did such a great job with the withdrawal scene.

I also loved Teyla. She has very real second thoughts now that she's a mother. I love that Kanaan became the househusband.

Woolsey rocks my socks. I love him! He's my favorite leader of Atlantis. He always has very reasonable arguments but he's not pig-headed, he's ready to admit that he's wrong. And I loved the scene with him and Teyla. And the funny stuff: the door closing before him, him holding the baby, talking about his yorkie, relaxing in a suit! We learned more about him in one ep than about Weir in three seasons!

Rodney! The bathtub scene at the very end made me giggle! And the little chat between him and Sheppard in the mess hall. And sitting by Ronon's bedside and talking nonsense so that Ronon wouldn't wake up alone. Aww...

And Sheppard! I loved the little talk he had with Teyla, telling her that he understood her dilemma, he really did but she needed to make a decision. And his decision to let first Tyre, then Ronon go cold turkey! But he still sat with Ronon. And then when he brought him Tyre's sword...

Also! Mark Dacascos! 'nough said!

This was a great team!ep too. We saw all of them doing everyday stuff, we saw them look for Ronon and then watch over him in the isolation room. Perfect!
  • Ronon-centric episode

This episode was somewhat interesting, yet predictable. Tyre, the Satedan wraith worshiper, betrays Ronon once again, but in the end he redeems himself and is the hero of the episode. When Ronon comes to his senses, he will have realized that Tyre and the other Satedans could not have prevented their own fate to become wraith worshipers, and he too may doubt his own strength in the future. Here are some other thoughts:

Commander Woolsey was portrayed as soft and gentle this time. There were funny moments like the door closing on him, talking about his dog, and his expression when carrying Teyla's baby (which brought back images of the holodoc). While this is okay once in a while, I would like to see him assert himself in the future as the leader of Atlantis and not be there as the symbolic IOA commander.

Teyla's decision to rejoin Sheppard's group was pretty obvious, but good.

Ronon stunning someone for spooking him in his surprise birthday party was funny. His expressions during his capture were understandable considering the betrayal, and his recovery reminded me of Teal'c when he was brainwashed by Apophis. I wonder what Ronon would be like if he turned to the dark side later on.
  • Thank god for another Ronon episode! But damn why can't it be in character?

First of all, I gave this episode a 10 simply because I want to encourage more Ronon-centered episodes. Although I did find the episode to be pretty good, I HATE how it ended. I gave absolutely no character depth to Ronon at all, and was pretty much what would have happened had they kept Ford's restraints tighter. I hated how repetitive and predictable this episode felt. Sure making Ronon acting brainwashed to free his team would have been even more predictable, but it would have been a welcome alternative to Ronon being portrayed as just the latest Satedan to fall to the Wraith. Every derogatory name Ronon applied to his brainwashed former friends now applies to him, and I fail to see how that makes him fit for Sheppard's team. I love Ronon's character, I just hate how he was portrayed in this episode. There was an episode of SG-1 where Teal'c is brainwashed and very nearly doesn't come to his senses, yet at the end his mentor is the only one who can bring back to himself. In that episode it was painful to watch such a strong character succumb to brainwashing, yet all the more satisfying to watch him break free as few before him as done. The moment of Ronon's return between him and Rodney, which was amazingly done and one of best parts of the episode, is cheapened by the memory that someone else was able to endure the same thing.