Stargate Atlantis

Broken Ties

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jul 25, 2008 on Syfy

• Thank god for another Ronon episode! But damn why can't it be in character?

First of all, I gave this episode a 10 simply because I want to encourage more Ronon-centered episodes. Although I did find the episode to be pretty good, I HATE how it ended. I gave absolutely no character depth to Ronon at all, and was pretty much what would have happened had they kept Ford's restraints tighter. I hated how repetitive and predictable this episode felt. Sure making Ronon acting brainwashed to free his team would have been even more predictable, but it would have been a welcome alternative to Ronon being portrayed as just the latest Satedan to fall to the Wraith. Every derogatory name Ronon applied to his brainwashed former friends now applies to him, and I fail to see how that makes him fit for Sheppard's team. I love Ronon's character, I just hate how he was portrayed in this episode. There was an episode of SG-1 where Teal'c is brainwashed and very nearly doesn't come to his senses, yet at the end his mentor is the only one who can bring back to himself. In that episode it was painful to watch such a strong character succumb to brainwashing, yet all the more satisfying to watch him break free as few before him as done. The moment of Ronon's return between him and Rodney, which was amazingly done and one of best parts of the episode, is cheapened by the memory that someone else was able to endure the same thing.