Stargate Atlantis

Childhood's End

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 13, 2004 on Syfy

• See Summary

This episode reminds me of a few SG-1 episodes such as Red Sky, Stargate the Movie, and 100 Days where they encounter less advanced peoples on other worlds with bizarre religious beliefs, to the Expedition Team anyhow, and the team messes with Ancient Technology and either puts the people in danger or helps them, in the end though, they are usually helped. This was a great episode though, and makes you question, what would you do if you lived in a society with these beliefs. The main characters keep developing into more sincere, believable characters that make the viewer want to empathize with. Great Episode!
  • This is exactly what I hate about Stargate Atlantis.

4.9
    Much like in Enterprise, the team in Stargate Atlantis wander around the galaxy assuming that their way is the right way. They arrive on the planet and as soon as they find out about the suicides they try to change them, just because they don't do it on Earth means no-one should do it anywhere else.
    They then do the other thing which makes me hate them, they find a ZPM, which is obviously what is protecting the people and they immediately disconnect it and steal it. Why do they assume that they can just take any ZPM they come across?
  • Sheppard's team investigates a planet that seems pretty primitive. The locals they find are all younger than 25 as they commit suicide at that age by tradition. They believe that the Wraith stay away if they follow that law.

This and the next few episodes form an interesting trinity. Each of them deals with how a civilization is learning to survive in difficult situations.

In this episode the citizens who were thinking of their civilization surviving long term. They realized their technology would only support a limited number of people so their solution was to limit the age of their people and set up a system where the leaders take their lives at age 25. Remember Logan's Run? Same setup. The facilities would only support a certain percentage of population.

Dr. McKay once again is as irritating as possible without you wanting to shoot him. Actually I think I would shoot him. :) He steals their shield generator. Talk about arrogant. When Dr. Weir points that out he finally realizes what he had done. It still was not enough for him to feel remorse. It's almost as if he is emotionless except when it comes to his own well being.

One has to realize that this civilization has not advanced in centuries which is not normal. I don't personally feel that the change in laws and allowing the people to now live their normal lifetimes. Obviously this civilization was advanced to a pretty high level as it was a ZPM type power supply that was running their defenses. Who knows if they were involved with the ancients while they still were around. Of course all human civilizations would have been related at one point.

Good basic episode with a moral message and the first in a number of similar interesting episodes. Also a interesting side note, the more advanced the civilization the more dangerous and conniving they have become. Thanks for reading...
  • Sheppard and the team visit a world where no one is over 24 years old because of a ritual suicide practice they believe keeps the Wraith at bay.

7.3
    While on a survey mission to an unexplored world Major John Sheppard and his team detect a large power source emanating from the surface. When they move their Puddle Jumper in to investigate the entire ship loses power, forcing them to crash.When Dr. McKay gets hold of Lieutenant Ford's compass he soon deduces the disturbance that forced them to land is electromagnetic. It would explain why all of the technology is inoperable, not just the Jumper. If they can localize it, they can shut off the power source and take off, preventing a long trek back to the Stargate.
  • Great vision of another way of thinking.. but this episode really made some vice versa feelings

7.3
    It looked different and somehow silly in one point but... it was a thing that taught them a little - there is change against Wrights but the way they seemed to think and talk about those kids - they acted like grown ups who think they are always right. I had thought that when they visit other planets, they won't force everyone to think the same way as they. But on this episode they tried that and they got in trouble. McKay and those kids - that was really great refreshment and it worked out well but - it was nothing special not leading nowhere, more looking like original SG-1 episodes were they go from planet to planet...
  • good episode...

The team explore a planet that, mysteriously, only has children. Apparently, when anyone reached 25 they would commit suicide. There was a sheild on their planet that protected them from the wraith, but the sheild was only so big so they had to have some type of population control. There was a lot of moral issues in this episode: whether or not it was right to take the zpm that powered their sheild, or whether or not it was right to allow these people to keep killing themselves at 25. There were some funny moments in this episode, primarily between McKay and the kids. Overall, good story, interesting ideas, and a good overall episode.
  • Members of Atlantis crash land on a planet full of children. When they reach the age of 25 years, they must commit suicide.

This episode is a very good example of a thought provoking story that is very well written and close to original. It is interesting to see the entire village being controlled by the young, with the oldest being only 24 years old. It not only deals with the young and fear of the Wraith, but it also deals with personal beliefs. Would we react negatively if we discovered everything we knew of as true was a lie? So, it's hard to judge the way the villagers act in this story. I really did like this episode and think it'll go down as a classic episode of this series in the future.
  • The Atlantis team crashed on a planet with the entire population under 25. The kids were sacrificing their lives at this age because they believed it would keep the wraith off their planet. It was accutally a ZPM powered shield that kept the wraith away.

This is one of my favorite episodes. The people of the planet were sacrificing their lives when they turned 25, in order to keep the wraith off their plant. When the Atlantis team arrived they saw the obvious problem and by the end of the episode they were finally able to convince the kids that a ZPM was acuttally keeping them alive not the sacrifices. The episode ended wonderfully.
    Kids in Sg-1 shows had some of the series best episodes. Atlantis has now proved the same. They should make more episodes with kids and they should have at least one more with the kids on this planet.
    From the episodes I can remember this is one off the best. It was done so well.
  • Not my favorite episode.

6.2
    The team in Stargate Atlantis think that their way is the right way. They arrive on the planet thta's rule by a bunch of young people and they sacrifice themselve on teir 25th birthday. They try to change them, just because they don't do it on Earth means no-one should do it anywhere else. I getting tired of hearing that when a situation is like this in the episode.
  • A bunch of kids on a planet ruled by antiquated laws

This episode spoke to me,because I was twenty-four when I watched it(I thought it was wild).The oldest guy in that tribe was twenty four. He had a harem,a bunch of kids,some cool goat skins and the rest of the tribe were kill him,because he was too old(that was tribal tradition).The whole concept was weird, because they had ten year olds with spears and crossbows defending the vilage.It was a really bold step for that show to take and, I thought it set the tone with how this series would go.The Wraith probe was cool, and the fact the twenty-four year old didn't get his head cut off was cool too.
  • Thought-provoking

This is one of the things I love about Stargate! This isn't the most original of plot-lines, but they actually bring up the points that most shows ignore. The issues of whether or not there's a basis for a culture's choices, and that it is not acceptable to simply take items the 'good guys' need are not often seen, and very refreshing and enjoyable to have those kind of moral quandries shown.
  • This episode was awesome. A planet of young people who sacrifice themselves on the eve of their 25th birthday...

This episode was awesome. A planet of young people who sacrifice themselves on the eve of their 25th birthday, only to discover that their sacrifices isn't what's been keeping the Wraith from attacking.

I enjoy it when the writers can think up different plans and lifestyles and rituals for places. Different storylines.

When I first saw this episode, I was like, "That was a great episode." Well-acted, well-written, and well-casted. The kids who played Cleo and Casta did well in their parts, I thought. And the lines that the two shared with McKay were humorous.

This episode didn't seem to have as much wittiness and humor as others, but I still think that this episode among the best.
  • Bad just bad the worst episode

2.7
    In my oppinion this was a very bad episode quite possibly the worst of the season. The fact that the team crash land and find a group of people living on a planet that kill themself when they turn 21 was just not very interesting and not a very appealing episode and i was dissapointed that i even saw it