Stargate Atlantis

Common Ground

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 25, 2006 on Syfy

• A human and a wraith working together, even more, the wraith actually THINKING in other things than food, kolya returning to the show, the moral struggle of considering taking a human life... Well, what else can you ask for?

After a struggling second season and a weak start of this one, maybe because they needed to make excuses for some bad previous decisions, the show started to regain that "I-dunno-how-to-call-it" that make the first season so good.

They shouldn't waited until now to show that the wraith aren't as plain as we first thought. I think Kolya is a great human villain, and he's perfect for bringing up the whole moral struggle in the team. After the first time the wraith fed on Sheppard, we all wanted him dead. I thought it was only natural when Weir says to Ronon "and if you find Kolya... no promises".

The ep could have been better if it wasn't been Sheppard the captured one. Don't get me wrong, I think Joe did a great job, but after the wraith fed the second time, you realize that somehow the wraith will do something to reverse the effects. The reason is simple, he can't die and he can't remain older either, so you know that all will end up well. Maybe if they would have brought some guest star (someone important), then I would have been more doubtful about the end.

All that said, it was a great ep, very well written, and allowing some character development. If they continue this path all I can say is keep it up!