Stargate Atlantis

Common Ground

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 25, 2006 on Syfy

• Wow...

I love this one!

It worked on so many levels. One: it portrays the Wraiths as more than just life enery suckers. The revelation has been subtle - 2x07 Instinct - Wraiths have children, they are capable of feelings; 2x18 Michael's transformation from Wraith to human and to Wraith and the internal conflicts there arose and now 3x07 gives us a Wraith that we may even be able to sympathise with. So, we'd learn that beneath their cruelty, their arrogance, there could also be loyalty and principles. Next time, we may not shout so loud when the Wraiths are being gunned down. Two: Strong moral issue involved here - the Wraiths just happen to on top of us in the food chain. Do we consider those lower than us in the foodchain? We are given to see the moral delemma a Wraith might face if he lets his feelings dictate his feeding. What about us - spare a feeling for whatever the pork rib comes from?

So, on the face of it, Common Ground might seem common in all the actions and classic Stargate humor, I really dig this one because it stays with me long after the end. Now we can look forward to some real drama in the Wraith-Human conflicts rather than just merely shoot 'em up!

Good one! Here's hoping for some more!