Stargate Atlantis

Common Ground

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 25, 2006 on Syfy

• A disgruntled exiled revolutionary of the Jinai ambushes and kidnaps Shepherd. He's held captive with a Wraith and this sets the stage for meeting the enemy in a new light.

The Jinai are not my favorite story lines - I find them incredibly annnoying and amoral in their 1940's get up. I wasn't looking forward to watching this episode when I saw up front who was involved but of course hung in there. It was a great opportunity to see the Wraith as a culture in a different light. They are portrayed solely as parasites, culling the worlds for their survival. Basically the universe they're in is their great big hunting ground and they keep the population in check by their culling. Very much like how we survive - except we are a little (!!) guilty of not saving anything for tomorrow. I almost admire the concept of the Wraith who keeps burgeoning population down and thus there's no fear of depleting natural resources etc etc. I would just hate to be part of that universe.

I digress - I really enjoyed this show because the Wraith have only ever been portrayed as ravenous beings incapable of considering anything other than a full belly and hunting the odd tagged prisoner. This episode actually gave the Wraith a personality and the viewer the ability to see there's more to them than we were first led to believe. I'm eager to find out more about them, devout believers, brotherhood - how did they develop into what they are as so far we have supposition from the Atlanteans. I find them more intriguing than the ancients whom I classify as bored and boring super beings who hang out in cafes and leave all their nasty toys all over the universe for people to find. Why do the Atlantis and SG1 crew continue to be fascinated by such a group of ascended fruitcakes is beyond me.

After this episode my 'take it or leave it' thoughts about the wraith are over - I hope we get to see them getting more fleshed out as the series goes... after all Season 4 has been given the go ahead.