Stargate Atlantis

Doppelganger

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 19, 2007 on Syfy

• Mediocre, unoriginal filler episode with little going on.

There is one word to describe this episode...empty. Its what the episode is, its how you feel when you leave it, its how the drama feels all the way through. The episode's primary problem is the lack of *anything* happening. It seems the whole episode is just an excuse to get a nightmare based plot out there to hammer home Atlantis's new mature vibe (seriously, the alien bursting from Teyla's stomach was unneccessary). This episode also dangles from the tree that is the season like a useless bit of fluff, with no real character development, or plot threads being laid down or tied up in this episode.

This episode also did nothing to help my opinion of Atlantis's new commander, Samantha Carter. She comes across as unbelievably pompous and the other characters seem to worship at her feet. In fact her arrival on the show sums up this episode in a microcosm, unoriginal. The writers couldn't be bothered to conjure a new character to take command so they pulled one out of the mothballs, much as they did with the plot. Now I like Carter, and Amanda Tapping's performance cannot be faulted, but Atlantis needs to be its own show, and this episode is testament to that.

The only real reasons for going out of your way to watch this episode is Joe Flanigan, who clearly relishes in his role as the nightmare Sheppard. The character isn't exactly threatening, but Flanigan manages to inject menace into an otherwise painty waisted villain. The other reason is, as always, McKay, specifically his dream sequence, which I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Summary, the episode is nothing special, I certainly won't watch it again, watch Reunion or Travellers instead.
  • See Summary

This episode was definitely lacking. Its almost like SG1's Lazarus. The episode did portray different sides to the characters, if you think in a multiverse frame of reference. This episode didn't really pertain to any established story line, nor did it really create a new one. It was mostly just a filler episode. It had its moments, and it was sort of dark, which is fitting as it was filled with nightmares. Some of the nightmares were definitely scary. It continues to be a pleasure to see Colonel Samantha Carter in charge of Atlantis. She is smart, disciplined, and good looking. She brings great energy to the show!
  • ...

The moment I saw the crystal I thought SG-1 and that episode where O'Neill touches the crystal and it copies his form. So, I was a little annoyed...however, they mentioned the episode in the show at least so they admitted they copied....I don't know...No matter how unoriginal the story may be, they pulled it off and I really liked this episode. Sheppard was in everyone's nightmares and the entity was able to kill people through their nightmares. In the end, Sheppard and McKay teamed up to kill it. I was laughing a lot during this episode and it seemed to have more humor than usual and I loved it. Overall, interesting story, though unoriginal, and great humor and characterization.
  • Nightmares

6.7
    This was... hardly the best episode I have seen. It was good in some part - the excitement, the unknowing what is happening and the difference between reality and nightmares, but.. i did not liked that this episode relied on SG-1 knowing. They have now the change that there is people who has ten years of history of gate traveling, but as this far this show have managed to continue on it's own - with that threat, that they are not independent - they will ruin a lot.

All the episode, the nightmares - the first part was exciting before we knew what was happening. To figure out why they see those dreams, but the end, when it was just getting read of it - not too catching.
  • Score less that 1. will not let me submit! I absolutely love this show; I could not wait for the new season. I must say it has been pretty lame. With this episode being the by far the most boring!

What I have enjoyed in this series, is real villains. The Wraith are great. I enjoy SG1, yet have often felt like the bad guys were boring. This episode lacks a real villain and therefore has no punch at all. This truly was painful to watch. Never once did I find myself on the edge of my seat as I have with many episodes in past seasons. I would not reccommend this to anyone and in fact for the first time watching this series, could not wait for it to end. Nothing in this one deserves any continuation of storyline. submit.
  • A classic example of how Atlantis is unoriginal.

When watching this episode, I liked the first reference to a previous episode, the second was ok, the third was pushing it a little, but when a fourth and fifth previous episode was mentioned, I feel like reaching into the screen, grabbing said character and telling them not to draw so much attention to the fact that this is not an original episode.

It's not the same thing as a serialized show like the new Battlestar Galactica, which builds upon it's previous episodes. Atlantis is just recycling plotlines from previous Stargate episodes and even other much older tv series.

The plot basically goes something like this: strange crystal containing strange entity invades the dreams of Atlantis personnel and eventually kills them until one or two main characters face their worst nighmares and manage to defeat it. End of episode.

It's about 10 years too late. Let's have a radical new direction for the show please!
  • Good, but filler.

At least the writers know how to write an entertaining filler episode. This was a good episode. It starts with Sheppard touching this crystal thing that gets inside him, then spreads to Teyla. She starts having bad dreams about Sheppard, but it is really the energy thing that is causing it. It spreads all around the team and the base until it finally gets stuck in Rodney (of all people). They hook him up to this dream sharing device thing (I knew from the beginning that something from SG-1 would come into play, but it took them longer to realize it) and Sheppard ends up helping him, but the energy thing transfers to Sheppard. Sheppard is fighting himself until Rodney intervenes and helps to save him. They trap the energy thing back in its crystal and take it back to the planet. This episode was very entertaining and had funny moments.
  • Not even the wonderful Jewel Staite was able to save this puddle jumper wreck of an episode. Worst Stargate Atlantis episode to date.

Having seen every Star Trek episode in full length, I like to think that I can handle a ridiculous sci-fi plot, or an awful script, tedious timing, or rehashing on already done-too-often concepts. But this episode incorporated so many of those bad qualities it actually made me cringe.

There's really not anything that would watching this episode. And what's in it is presented with a perceptible "let's get this over with" stance by the actors. I really love seeing the adorable Jewel Staite, but not under such circumstances.

I still like Stargate Atlantis, I really do. And even an episode of this caliber cannot put me off watching it. Let's all forget this happened, and carry on, yes?
  • Following the discovery of a crystalline entity, the team members start having nightmares in which Sheppard figures prominently.

5.5
    The episode in general was very ordinary, in my humble opinion. It was unimaginative, a bland rehash of the wonderful "Cold Lazarus" from Stargate SG-1. Not to mention that the whole "evil entity feeding on people's worst fears" is something that was done ad nauseam in other shows/movies. And then there was the concept of having someone entering someone else's dream (just like in the movie "The Cell" where it was done in such a breathtaking way) which was also explored many times before. Had the writers put a different spin on both, it could have been an excellent episode but they didn't. So overall, I would say it was pretty disappointing.
  • The team is searching through a jungle off-world when they come across a crystaline structure. Shepherd is drawn to it and touches it. Everything appears fine but later Atlantis crew members start having horrible dreams and an alien entity is to blame.

When you hear filler episode you go geez, "Here we go again." But there are such things as good fillers and this was one of them. Traditionally the writes of Stargate SG-1 and of Atlantis have made the filler interesting and usually pretty exciting even if they have absolutely nothing to do with the series plot at the time. This episode kept you guessing for a little bit but I was able to figure out what was going on fairly quickly. The alien entity first came in contact with Shepherd. Later it changed hosts through touch and continued moving from person to person. Whoever fell asleep with the entity inside them would have horrible nightnames with Shepherd acting as the Antagonist. The real intrigue of the episode was the different ways in which the entity would attack each person it came in contact with during their dreams. It was Carter's knowledge from being with SG-1 that saved the people of Atlantis from the entity. They used a slightly altered technology acquired during SG-1's travels to help defeat the entity while it was inside people's dreams. Unfortunately the red-headed psych doctor was killed by the entity. I don't think that she should have died during a filler episode. I liked her character and what she did for the show. But in the end Shepherd showed some true mental toughness and Rodney showed bravery to help defeat the entity and send it back to it's homeworld. I like how the writers are using Carter's knowledge for the benefit fo Atlantis. Her experience in the field will help Atlantis avoid some mistakes that may have happened before. So far she has made the correct decisions and has shown the ability to be a strong leader.
  • Not entirely original, but still worth the time

This episode was billed as an homage to "Cold Lazarus", and in some respects, that is a good description. There have been several re-tooled "SG-1" episodes during the course of this series, however, and that is not always a sign of weakness. Even if a concept is overly familiar, it can work again if applied to new characters and handled properly.

While the final showdown with the "dream predator" in this episode centers on Sheppard and McKay, the story itself highlights Dr. Keller. Jewel Staite is doing a capable job in what could be a thankless role, considering the popularity of Dr. Beckett. Dr. Keller is still very much an outsider in this episode, and she seems to be unsure of her ability to handle the challenges of Team Atlantis. That's a nice way of incorporating the challenges faced by the actress into the role itself.

This episode also includes the death of Dr. Heightmeyer. I have to wonder if there was something else to the story behind her exit, because this seems like an unnecessary death, especially after so many other losses to the cast. Heightmeyer was only a recurring character, but she was useful, especially when the writers needed someone for the characters to confide in, as a form of exposition. The death was clearly designed to underscore the threat posed by the alien, but it came across as gratuitous.

Despite the action-packed final act (probably based on yet another network note demanding thrills over character development), most of the episode was character exploration. In fact, I would say that this episode was just as important as "Reunion" in that regard. The previous episode introduced Carter as the new authority for Team Atlantis; this time, she was dealing with the transition more organically. She may have had some answers to provide, but she didn't come across as high-handed with her suggestions. This could be a good sign.

There's also more grist for the Sheppard/Teyla mill. The third season episode "Sunday" hinted at movement on their attraction, and this would seem to confirm it. By "Stargate" standards, this is deep romance, so one might assume that they've been dancing around each other for quite some time. In any case, it would be nice to see something more than brief glimpses of relationships, given how long these characters have been struggling together.

In the end, this episode will not be the best episode of the season, but it managed to take a familiar concept and give it a relatively fresh spin. I'm not particularly pleased with how they chose to escalate the situation, but the writers may have been looking for a way to counter the "retread" vibe. The focus on Dr. Keller helped to make up for it, and the additional character development was more than welcome.
  • All tv shows have filler episodes... complaining about them are just plain silly. What's important is if it was any good! (spoilers)

Personally, I liked this episode, how they tied it in to some of the SG1 episodes, without having the SG1 plot overpower it at all. Seeing everyone's fears I thought was important, as these characters face horrible enemies and have to fight and kill on a semi-regular basis, so they are bound to have built some pretty substantial fears over the years. You get to see inside all the characters.

The 'goatee' line was the best in the show I think. The death of Doctor Heitmeyer was sad, but she had only bit parts in a half dozen shows a season, if that, so if the writers had to kill someone off, she was a logical choice. There have been too many deaths and too many character losses, I sincerely hope they do not have any more for this season.
  • No don't let the title of this review fool you a filler episode isn't always a bad thing. This episode went nowhere and had nothing to do with the season story arc but it was

No don't let the title of this review fool you a filler episode isn't always a bad thing. This episode went nowhere and had nothing to do with the season story arc but it was fun and great to watch all the way. Seeing everyone's fears on display was neat and wondering if Shepard was the cause or a thing imitating him was good. The final fight of making Shepard face his ultimate fear was well done and as always Mckay had great one liners. Fun episode a little filler can make a show fun and keep it fresh but hopefully we won't get to many fillers this season.
  • Average episode

Another filler episode - I'm ready for the main plot lines to resume!

I thought it was an okay episode. I've seen this nightmare-causing death plot in several other shows, although I can't remember where. There were a few plot holes but they didn't bother me. The writers killed off another character, this time a minor one, which might get replaced with a new doctor. At least it has more of an effect than killing another "nobody" which happens all the time. By the way, has it ever been mentioned how large Atlantis is, or how many people are actually assigned/stationed on Atlantis?

Anyway, some random thoughts:

I think it's fine to use some stuff from Carter's experience in Sg1, as long as they don't go overboard with it.

Maybe, and I say maybe, they might think about destroying the crystals, especially if they don't consider them to be actual life forms. If they are life forms, then maybe not, since the evil effects might be unintentional. In any case, I hope they left a gigantic warning sign for others traveling to that planet!

During the episdode, Colonel Carter mentions of a previous mission to the group, saying, "Colonel O'Neill was once knocked unconscious..." This is nitpicking, but she should have said "General O'Neill was once..." even though he was a colonel at the time of the mission.

Ronon, oh Ronon. There could (and should) be more dimensions added to this character, but not how he acted in this episode. At the beginning, in the cafeteria, his doubt about it being anything other than coincidental nightmares was fine and understandable. In a meeting after the Major held Sheppard and Carter at gunpoint, Ronon again says, "is this really necessary, just a few bad dreams, right?" And then later he becomes the funny guy who has no idea what everyone else is talking about.

Carter is definitely not getting her due respect from Sheppard. I started a thread about this in the discussion area because it's more of a general topic. She's the commander of the base AND his military superior, and he hasn't yet said, "yes colonel", "yes sir", or "yes ma'am" even once during any of their conversations.
  • People are starting having nightmare involving Sheppard after his team encounter an crystal entity on a planet

This is an fine example of what I like about Stargate Atlantis. Nightmare are on all our minds and this gives us a glimpes what a person can influence.
    And I really liked the way Sheppard and his evil counterpart fought and how McKay came to the rescue.
    Nightmare can be scary, and with the influence of someone you care for are even greater.
    I was sad to see that Heightmeyer was one of the victimes, but I guess someone had to die and sh was the most logical choise. She hasn't been used that much and her death put the edge on this episode.
    An exellent episode, that I can watch over and over again
  • After discovering a crystal entity, the team begins to have nightmares involving Sheppard.

Worst episode this season. Feels like it have been done before, and quite frankly a little silly (this from a big scifi fan...). The writers seem to have troubles with these filler episodes. They are constantly reusing stories. Tapping said it herself a couple of times in this episode. Back to the red thread, thefight with the wraith and replicators!

And to top it off, a really "dawsons creek" cheesy ending! The only good side of this episode was that you got to know the new doctor (the beautiful Jewel Staite, from Serenity) alittle more. Too bad when the start of this season has been the best so far!