Stargate Atlantis

Doppelganger

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 19, 2007 on Syfy

• Average episode

Another filler episode - I'm ready for the main plot lines to resume!

I thought it was an okay episode. I've seen this nightmare-causing death plot in several other shows, although I can't remember where. There were a few plot holes but they didn't bother me. The writers killed off another character, this time a minor one, which might get replaced with a new doctor. At least it has more of an effect than killing another "nobody" which happens all the time. By the way, has it ever been mentioned how large Atlantis is, or how many people are actually assigned/stationed on Atlantis?

Anyway, some random thoughts:

I think it's fine to use some stuff from Carter's experience in Sg1, as long as they don't go overboard with it.

Maybe, and I say maybe, they might think about destroying the crystals, especially if they don't consider them to be actual life forms. If they are life forms, then maybe not, since the evil effects might be unintentional. In any case, I hope they left a gigantic warning sign for others traveling to that planet!

During the episdode, Colonel Carter mentions of a previous mission to the group, saying, "Colonel O'Neill was once knocked unconscious..." This is nitpicking, but she should have said "General O'Neill was once..." even though he was a colonel at the time of the mission.

Ronon, oh Ronon. There could (and should) be more dimensions added to this character, but not how he acted in this episode. At the beginning, in the cafeteria, his doubt about it being anything other than coincidental nightmares was fine and understandable. In a meeting after the Major held Sheppard and Carter at gunpoint, Ronon again says, "is this really necessary, just a few bad dreams, right?" And then later he becomes the funny guy who has no idea what everyone else is talking about.

Carter is definitely not getting her due respect from Sheppard. I started a thread about this in the discussion area because it's more of a general topic. She's the commander of the base AND his military superior, and he hasn't yet said, "yes colonel", "yes sir", or "yes ma'am" even once during any of their conversations.