Stargate Atlantis

Doppelganger

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 19, 2007 on Syfy

• The team is searching through a jungle off-world when they come across a crystaline structure. Shepherd is drawn to it and touches it. Everything appears fine but later Atlantis crew members start having horrible dreams and an alien entity is to blame.

When you hear filler episode you go geez, "Here we go again." But there are such things as good fillers and this was one of them. Traditionally the writes of Stargate SG-1 and of Atlantis have made the filler interesting and usually pretty exciting even if they have absolutely nothing to do with the series plot at the time. This episode kept you guessing for a little bit but I was able to figure out what was going on fairly quickly. The alien entity first came in contact with Shepherd. Later it changed hosts through touch and continued moving from person to person. Whoever fell asleep with the entity inside them would have horrible nightnames with Shepherd acting as the Antagonist. The real intrigue of the episode was the different ways in which the entity would attack each person it came in contact with during their dreams. It was Carter's knowledge from being with SG-1 that saved the people of Atlantis from the entity. They used a slightly altered technology acquired during SG-1's travels to help defeat the entity while it was inside people's dreams. Unfortunately the red-headed psych doctor was killed by the entity. I don't think that she should have died during a filler episode. I liked her character and what she did for the show. But in the end Shepherd showed some true mental toughness and Rodney showed bravery to help defeat the entity and send it back to it's homeworld. I like how the writers are using Carter's knowledge for the benefit fo Atlantis. Her experience in the field will help Atlantis avoid some mistakes that may have happened before. So far she has made the correct decisions and has shown the ability to be a strong leader.