Stargate Atlantis

Enemy at the Gate

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 09, 2009 on Syfy

• The team of Atlantis gear up for their final mission in an energetic and frenetic close to the series. A good episode to end the show. I'm just sorry that this is the final episode.

A good series finale. Plenty of action and a tie-in to the main enemy of the series, the Wraith (not the Replicators). Many close calls and since this was the series finale, I actually did wonder if they were going to kill any characters off. For a few minutes, I thought they might actually have Sheppard go through with the suicide mission, until I remembered that the entire Atlantis city was arriving soon.

I thought Ronon had been killed off for good. I'm not sure I understand how Sheppard knew to go back for him, but it doesn't matter too much. The episode was entertaining and a good end point for the five-year run of the show. Since SGA has a definite lighter side, it was appropriate to end on a happy note, with no main character deaths and a safe Earth.

The producers brought some of the minor characters back like Kavanaugh (who looks much more like a scientist with the short hair than with the ponytail from his previous episode) and Col. Ellis (whose lines were delivered in an awkward and wooden fashion by actor Michael Beach). Nice tip of the hat to long-time viewers. Also great to see Samantha Carter return at the end. Her departure from the show was far too abrupt at the beginning of the season. They never showed her reaction to the loss of the Atlantis command other than a close-up lasting a couple seconds. We never heard from her again until this series finale.

I still wonder about some of the other characters from previous seasons like Elizabeth Weir and Lt. Ford. Maybe there could have been a passing reference to those two, either in a flashback or a statement from one of the other characters.

When Carter mentioned the re-naming of the new ship Phoenix to General Hammond in honor of the former commander, it seemed like the actress Amanda Tapping was in genuine emotional pain because the actor who played Hammond died in real life in 2008. The two worked together on SG-1 for many years and it seems like they had a good, genuine friendship.

It's a bit sad to see the whole gang departing from television. Though there were some weak episodes in Season 4, overall, this was a very entertaining and enjoyable series. A lot of fun, a lot of action, humorous characters and a good time. Sorry to see them ride off into the sunset.