Stargate Atlantis

Enemy at the Gate

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 09, 2009 on Syfy

• Should have been a two-parter but exciting nonetheless.

"Enemy at the Gate" wasn't the best ending to a series I have seen but it did deliver. The visual effects were awesome, with the plot being simple yet exciting. However, the whole episode felt slight rushed and contrived. In retrospect I would have enjoyed it if the writers had paced it a bit more over the course of two episodes.

We meet Todd again which is always a pleasure, but he brings with him some bad news; a former "underling" of his (had to laugh at that!) has used an Asuran ZPM to power a Wraith Hive Ship making it almost invincible, and after receiving the signal from "Vegas", it begins to head for Earth.

I'll begin with the good points. As is usual with Atlantis, the episode is full of brilliant visual effects of the "Uber" Hive aswell as the battle over Earth - something alone which makes the episod worth watching - and the story is a simple one, but exciting nonetheless.

I do have a couple of problems with this episode though. Firstly, Todd's "underling" creates the Uber-Hive just before they receive the message from Earth? It would have been entirely more convincing and interesting if the Uber-Hive had been created as a result of receiving the message, not the other way around.

Secondly, why haven't we heard about this "wormhole drive" before? If there's one thing I hate, it's when writers invent some magical piece of technology for one episode that hasn't been seen or mentioned previously. Suprisingly, this is something that Stargate is usually good at avoiding. Perhaps they decided there was nothing to lose with this being the last episode? Still, it would have been nice for McKay or Zalenka to have at least mentioned the "wormhole drive" a couple of episodes prior.

Overall, aside from those minor criticisms, this is an excellent episode of Atlantis which combines the usual mix of eye-candy and storyline. And hopefully we will get to see more of the team in the planned future movie.