Stargate Atlantis

Epiphany

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 13, 2006 on Syfy

• See Summary

Epiphany was a good episode. Basically Sheppards team finds an Ancient Device or Doorway, and Sheppard goes through, and can not return. They were looking for a ZPM which was powering the doorway, but we find out it is so much more than that. There is a beast which attack Sheppard and a local villager helps him and brings Sheppard back to town to heal. He later finds out that the people here are decendants of the Ancients and others who sought Ascension, and they created this place as a sanctuary where Time progresses faster to ensure they achieve their goals with out having to worry about the Wraith. I thought this episode would be a little more "Enlightening" with some wisdom from the Ancients and Ascended, like in episodes of SG1 where Daniel encounters Oma Desala, and she tries to open his mind. Over all a good entertaining episode, and some freshly Ascended joining the ranks, hope to see more.
  • Another ascension based episode. Sheppard passes through a portal before it was safe and ends up in a time anomaly that has a 150 to 1 time frame versus his normal time. The crew works feverishly to figure out a way to get him out.

What is with John and his attraction to ascended women? Like in Star Trek we see another manly leading man go throughout the galaxy creating short term relationships. At least in this show they didn't create a romantic relationship on Atlantis for everyone to feel guilty about when these kind of things happen.

In John's defense he was looking to be stuck there forever and it had been a few months versus just the day or so for his team. He and the woman sort of had a future before he even knew it. As she said, she had seen this for a long time. It was John who in the end help the inhabitants finally reach ascension. So that is a pretty great thing for him personally.

Of course in the long term I guess he could always return to Athar from the Sanctuary season one episode.

Obviously another filler episode with some deep meaning suppose to be learned. Entertaining but not a lot of action or even plot for that matter. Enjoyable enough but one hopes this is not the regular type of episode. Thanks for reading...
  • This episode demonstrates the ability and friendship betwwen the Atlantis crew. Although this episode mainly focuses on Col. Sheppard character all Atlantis crew are involved and more is revealed about the way the Ancients lived.

Col. Sheppard is amazing in this episode. As well the fact that Joe Fanigan also wrote this episode makes it even better. A must watch episode for any Stargate Atlantis fan as it is latter mentioned in other Stargate Atlantis episodes in situations where Dr. Rodney McKay recalls the fact that Col. John Sheppard has something for Ancient women. This also occurs at the end of this episode. In latter seasons Teyla also mentions the "Sanctuary" created by the Ancients for ascension. This episode doesn't include much action except for the fact that Col. Sheppard is trapped in a time dilation field and time is running out for him. As well it's refreshing to see an episode which is based on Col Sheppard's character as well as having nothing to do with the wraith. :)
  • Path for pure energy...

Lovely episode. The storyline was again, different and quite unique one. Ok, it had many similarities to the SG-1 episode, but for this serie, it was something different. loved the time paradox and McKay - Becett together are hopeless.

It looks like storyline did not had much action, and most of it was filled with McKay wining and yelling, but it was worth it. The portal, the misunderstood of it first, then Sheppard living long on that planet. That sequence when they showed how he more and more became part of that civilization. And the end, when that woman told him that she has always been with him.. has telepathy skills and the way they overcome the demon. Super episode.
  • Love It!Love It!Love It!

I loved this episode!!Thats all there is to say!It was amazing!I would 100% recommend it to anyone!!! bdfgjdiofgi igudsigig dfigy giyi hgiuhg fkugh kugh hughfku fhguh udfhgkughughfu hfu hfu h hg kughgh ghrkugh righ riugh rgh ruh ru grugfdsug sugsu gu gsu gsduf dufg sdug ugf dufgdsuf gsulfgtwifgy sdgjfsdjgsug fsufgsdugfhdsugdsugdsugdsu gsdkugskgdsugdfjvgdsj gvud g jh sjmv ugf jvdsjgfsugfsu s sfgs fgsjgud jgu g hvb sjgugy sudgv sdgusg sdufg skf suk fy sufhsudfgh sjugf eufgsdhfdkuy dhu sdug ugh dsu ghugu su udsf ush gsu fhsuf seuf weiyeufsdfgshdfjsdgfusefu udgfdsugf sdugf dgf dsugf dsug sdh dsku suhfyugsugydu u sd u fs su gfaurg sieu sy ywioty idfhv uf
  • ok episode...

Sheppard gets trapped in some time thing and the rest of the team is frantically trying to get him back before he gets really old and dies...and, of course, they get him back at the end. The story is pretty interesting, but the story of what happened to Sheppard when he was separated was stupid. He met some humans that were plagued by some evil creature that they refused to fight. In the end, they defeated him and then ascended. It was so stupid. So, the main story had a good idea, but it was just poorly executed. It was funny seeing the team frantically try to save Sheppard. Another problem I had with this episode is that I felt like I've seen something like it before. Back in SG-1 Jack was separated from his team once in A Hundred Days and he assimilated himself into the human culture. I've also seen a lot of time-dialation stuff. Overall, the episode was promising but it failed to deliver.
  • A well used formula given a different twist!

The idea of separating a lead character from the rest of the group and seeing the resulting actions is a known plot device in film and tv. In science fiction, it is usually due to some technical issue that results in the character being stranded somewhere for a period of time and has been seen in episodes from series such as Farscape, the Star Trek series and Stargate SG1.

While the twist of having a time dilation device stranding Sheppard for six months and it only being a few hours for everyone else, isn’t a new concept, (it was done in a Star Trek Voyager episode first) it still makes enjoyable viewing.

The storyline with the village on a spiritual mission and the pre-ascendants is interesting and the moments that mark the passage of time when Sheppard is first isolated is both fresh and amusing. The use of popular culture references such as to Castaway show that the series isn’t afraid to make fun of itself and doesn’t take itself too seriously. The series’ success lies in this balance of humour with thrilling action sequences.

As we have seen, this episode caters for all and contains humour, action and science technobabble. Epiphany also expands on the mythology of the show, showing a group of people living within the time dilation field to mimic the Ancients and through study and meditation hope to achieve their goal of one day ascending. We also discover that the people of the village have powers to some degree, such as premonition and healing, although it would have been interesting to know if the ATA gene was involved.

It is also interesting to note that Sheppard, who isn’t spiritual and a military man is the one to help the passive villagers achieve their goal of ascension by teaching them to stand up and fight against the beast that has been tormenting them. It also lends to some comical moments throughout when the villagers flee, leaving Sheppard alone to fight the beast and he shouts about developing some abandonment issues.

While some may argue that it is not the best Atlantis episode, it serves as a nice character episode for Sheppard. The belief in his team that they ‘won’t leave him behind’ and then the feelings of abandonment as he’s stranded for months, without knowing that only hours have passed for his friends outside of the field. A fine performance by Joe Flanigan and the entire cast as usual.
  • Sheppard and the crew go down to a planet and discover an interesting phenomenon.

Episode has one of the members of a landing team experiencing a little bit of a one way trip.

The crew member finds himself in a version of paradise. But, as is always the case - there is a worm in the apple: a big one.

Acting and dialog were really good in this episode.

The premise was pretty good but somehow did not seem completely original. There is an old 1950s or 1960s science fiction movie set on Mars that had much the same sort of monster featured in it. The monster had a very similar origin.

Entertaining to watch but not as thought-provoking as usual for an episode i this series.
  • This episode was OK to say the most.

7.2
    It seems it was written just to kill time. Nothing new was found or done. The episode seem to drag. They were in a village full of ancients and never mention Atlantis or even tried to learn anything from them and he was there for months. And if they were in the time area for 10,000 years it would of actually been millions over years on the inside of it.
  • Exciting episode.

This episode had Shepard getting sucked into some kind of Ancient time altering device. Time is going by faster in the device than on the other side and he fills like after 6 months everyone has abandoned him. His fights with the beast were funny. He goes up against but doenst remember winning. McCay was funny as usual.
  • Good, solid character development, with a SF staple as a potentially annoying resolution

Coming on the heels of an “SG-1” episode that just missed the mark because of a too-familiar premise with little or no original variation, I was worried that the same would be true. After all, this “time dilation” thing has been done again and again. So how would the writers make it unique? The answer is simple: ground it in the mythology of the series itself, center on a character with enormous depth, and use the situation to let the rest of the cast shine.

Granted, this episode wasn’t perfect. It was a little predictable in places, and while I understand and appreciate what the writers were going for, the resolution would have worked better in a prose short story than a more visual medium. (I felt something similar to the concern I felt when the “Babylon 5” episode “Into the Fire” hit its climax: satisfaction with the concept, but worry over how the execution would be perceived.)

But the fact is that Sheppard is a huge reason why I love this series, and this episode reminded me of why. It’s the fact that he’s not just a wise-cracking smartass; he has a human side that comes out at just the right moment. The fact that Joe Flanigan helped to write the script probably had something to do with it. An actor brings a lot to a character, because the actor must know how the character is thinking from scene to scene.

It also affords the actor a chance to invest more of himself into the character and make the performance more real. That was the difference between the “SG-1” episode (9.12) and this one: the character development and exploration was a lot more organic. It built upon what was already known about the character and took it in a believable direction. Just as importantly, the rest of the cast acted exactly in keeping with their established relationship to Sheppard.

I was most impressed with the subtle continuity with McKay’s character. While I have been critical of McKay’s character arc thus far (or rather, the fact that it’s inconsistent), I liked the fact that he was so passionate about saving Sheppard. Would he have done that for someone else? Maybe, but I look back at “Trinity” and can’t help but see the connection. There was also Weir’s insistence on going through the portal for John, which is in keeping with the dynamic between them.

I also couldn’t help but notice that Teyla demonstrated something like intelligence and thought in this episode, which has unfortunately been a rare commodity this season. She’s still a bit too close to Ronon for my tastes, since it’s too easy and disturbing a relationship to contemplate, but both of them took action as their established characterizations would dictate, and I appreciated that immensely.

I also thought that the idea of the enclave itself, even if the Beast was a concept that didn’t quite pay off as well as the writers intended. I found myself buying into the character of Teira and her ability, and what it meant for her and Sheppard. If this had been a book or short story, I could have seen her character being a lot more prominent. It was just another example of how well this episode worked, and why this was one of the better episodes of the second season.
  • Another great episode. The show was refreshing.

The show was refreshing, I like the idea it was a new idea and fun to watch. Rodney was great, taking control like that; pushing the others around, Rodney is always fun to watch. At the same time Shepard has his own little story arch behind the wall, the information was also good for the back story of the ancients and ascension. The writing is good and the characters were given more depth, the story is one of the best.
  • Epiphany, unorginial and boring. One of the worst Stargate Atlantis-episode i've ever seen.

3.8
    Sheppard finds himself on a planet where time passes more rapidly, with no way to contact his team or return to Atlantis.

I can admit, with no difficulties, that this is one of the worst Stargate Atlantis-episode i've ever seen. If not the worst. The story is unoriginal, boring and you know almost everything that is going to happen. It's all the same. McKay gets Sheppard in trouble, Everybody blames McKay, The Atlantis crew and McKay tries (almost the whole episode) to come up with a solution, Sheppard comes to people that are different and falls for the pretty girl, McKay comes up with a solution, McKay and the others rescue Sheppard and everything is O.K. I've seen it all before.

I actually liked the episode in the beginning, i expected to learn something new about the Ancients. But no. I didn't learn anything new about them and that made me disappointed. A pretty good idea in the beginning, but it dosen't manage a whole episode. The ascension was also a good idea, although it wasn't done right.
    The Beast scenes weren't good either, not entertaining at all. Everything wasn't bad though, i did get to see some good quotes from McKay and Sheppard.

The acting was O.K, not perfect nor bad. When Sheppard sees his crew in the end after one year, he dosen't even seem to be so happy to see them? Maybe because of the time it took the crew to get there, but anyway not so good acting in my opinion.

This episode didn't feel like Stargate Atlantis. Bad episode.
  • been done over and over

This episode wasn't terrible, but O'Neil was in the same kind of situation at least twice in Stargate SG1. Stargate writers are great, but they're starting to really copy themselves. They need some new blood. I'm just waiting for a really great episode which always comes after one or two of these clunkers.
  • Sheppard gets lost and spends his time with some monks..

4.5
    Not so brilliant episode in my mind, I really don't care much for these kinds of episodes, i've seen it so many times, its almost painful by now. One member of the crew gets lost, and finds himself with a secluded community of monks waiting for ascension. Thing is, tada, this is going to blow your mind, time passes much faster where Sheppard is, so McKay, whose "fault" this whole thing is, now have a timelimit on him and the rest saving John.
    It's all the standard things, Sheppard gets to know these people, he's different than them, helps them out in some ways. (And OF COURSE, almots falls for the pretty girl.) AND we have the rest of the team trying and thinking hard about how to fix the whole thing.

To me there is no originality here, nothing interesting that happens for the story, nothing. Well, I guess we're bound to get episodes like this inbetween the good ones.
  • McKay bickering as usual sends Sheppard through a portal without means of return and time moves faster on the other side which leaves little room for speculation what will happen in the end...

McKay is rapidly becoming annoying with the constant bickering and the pushy know it all attitude the writers love to attest to him. Mr. Superbrain is not smart enough to read the message next to the portal stating its purpose and also giving a clear warning. Instead, let's just see what happens... this kind of screen writing is what drove ENTERPRISE to the grave.

Dull dialogues, rehashed plots from a million episodes before and zero room for speculation how it will turn out.

This episode is just plain annoying and the sole fault of the script writer. The "Sanctuary" is a nice idea though that could be explored further, esp. as shelter in times or cullings...