Stargate Atlantis

First Contact (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 26, 2008 on Syfy

• No words can describe just how awesome this episode was. Oh, that's right. There is....

No words can describe just how awesome this episode was. Oh, that's right. There is.... It was masterful! There were two distinct stories being told that ended up interconnecting in the most fascinating way that would eventually lead to one drastic change in the overall progression of the alliance between Atlantis and the Wraith, Todd. The episode moved at a perfect pace with neither stories disappointing.

In this episode, Daniel Jackson comes to Atlantis to look for Janus' secret lab. If you recall, Janus was the Ancient who built the Time Machine Jumper (two I believe) seen on both Stargate Atlantis and SG-1. He was also the guy who helped Elizabeth Weir when she originally came to Atlantis and accidentally transported thousands and thousands of years into the past. I loved how the writers decided to delve more into Janus's background some more and his many inventions. I alway found him to be a very interesting character that deserved more attention to. It's good to note that during Daniel's visit, he made note that Janus character was somewhat of a rebel/drifter type from the other ancients. Although we don't actually get to see his character, we at least got to see what other technologies and contributions he made, however dangerous they might be. And in fact there is an invention of his that will play a major role in the end of one relationship, the alliance between the wraith, Todd.

The dynamic duo of Daniel Jackson and Rodney McKay were very entertaining and fun to watch. It was a real treat to watch both geniuses at work and yes, they both saved the world countless times, but don't really get the credit they deserve; especially for all the discoveries they've made in technology being used as part of the defenses for humanity. It was nice that they acknowledge and continued the love triangle of Rodney, Jennifer Keller, and Ronan from last week's episode.

We also get to meet some new baddies in this episode. Well not really meet... There's really not much to tell about them other than the fact they have Ancient technology and can penetrate Alantis shields with ease. I'm not even sure if they're human or machine but I'm sure all this will be revealed once part 2 airs in 2 weeks. Don't forget to check out the premiere of Sanctuary. I know I will. These guys captured Daniel and poor McKay and forces them to activate a device that can lead to destruction of the wraith. A device that Todd knows all to well? So obviously this has happened before. It sucks that we have to wait though, especially with the cliffhanger at the end of the episode. In the main tower where Sheppard and Zelenka were, the shields that protected the gate's event horizon from exploding into them failed. Ouch.

Final Verdict: A++, 5/5, 10/10,