Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

Does anybody else think...? (big spoilers)

Valdir_Imrov

[1]Jan 26, 2010
    • level: 6

Does anyone else think that a few of the characters weren't given clear enough conclusions/deaths? I assume you know who I'm talking about, but if not I'm referring specifically to Elizabeth Weir and Aiden Ford. I found it a shame that they were written out in the first place (although Ronon Dex is a great replacement), and I was hoping for more of Aiden and Weir's stories. But after Season 2, Ford never appears again except in a hallucination to John in the beginning of Season 5. I know that they expected it to go on a bit longer than it did, and I think there could have been a lot of potential for their characters in future seasons, but as it stands we're just left wondering.

Ford: I guess we're supposed to assume he's dead, even though Shepard says that "he was alive the last time I saw him and I'm sticking with that." I mean that seemed as if they were blatantly saying "yeah he's still out there in some way." But even if we go with the conclusion that he's dead, that seems like such a cop out for his story arc. Hell, even Ronon's friend who was only in the series for two episodes got a waaaaaay cooler ending than him. If nothing else, I think that was the honourable ending that Ford deserved. It was powerful, honourable and it would have "redeemed" him, as it were. I know that character was a vital point in Ronon's character arc, but I still feel they could've written something similar for Ford. It just seems like a waste of a character. I mean I came into Stargate: Atlantis after buying the season 1-5 box set, and I knew he got written out after one season, so I wasn't really holding my breath for him, but I really grew to like him and find it rather sad that he was never given a conclusive and fitting end.

Weir: I understand what they were going for, and I know Tori Higginson eventually turned down the chance to reprise her character, but damn that ending is harsh... and far from conclusive, imo. I really wanted her to ascend. She deserved to ascend. But instead they leave her floating in space. I mean that death isn't necessarily permanent for replicators. I know she had limited functions as a replicator, but that other replicator, (Niam? I thought that was harsh too, but I don't mind harsh things before you think that :p I think they're necessary in stories) was briefly reactivated before being destroyed completely. I just wish they could have given her the ending she deserved. I don't mind character deaths (even brutal, sudden ones), as long as they're done well. I mean it was sad, and effective in it's own way, so I suppose there's that but still... yeah.

Anywho: just a few thoughts. Wanted to see if anybody else felt the same way as I did.

EDIT: I do know that there is a possible Atlantis Movie coming up, but that it's far from certain. I do hope if they do it that it answers some of my concerns.

Edited on 01/26/2010 11:37pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

zzbeach

[2]Jan 27, 2010
    • level: 12
    I don't think we'll ever know what the Stargate/MGM guys had in mind. The Atlantis movie looks like it will never happen. Take a look at the the movie thread on this forum.

Valdir_Imrov

[3]Jan 27, 2010
    • level: 6

Yeah... and it's quite a shame really. Cuz I just watched the Tracker episode (you know, the one where Ronon tracks a Runner who kidnapped Dr. Keller), and all the time in my mind I was thinking, "this would have been a good re-introduction for Aiden Ford." Cuz Keller wouldn't know who he was unless he told her, and it would have made for some cool drama. Aiden as a runner would have been a good storyline.

I know Mallozzi said we have to assume he went down with the ship, but dagnammit I'm going to keep believing he's out there somewhere, either as a runner or just continuing to pick Wraith off as a lone soldier/by starting his strike force up again. Shame about the movie though... hope it doesn't end up in the vain of the Serenity sequel, where years go by and every so often one of the cast says "we might do something soon," and everybody gets their hopes up just to be let down.

Edited on 01/27/2010 11:36pm

seto1

[4]Feb 25, 2010
    • level: 16
    My fav so when Ford and Ronon had their first meeting,in a hand to hand combat ,that was one of the coolest one on one fight scenes on the show.I too was sadden by the way it was done to kill off these main characters ,some sort of epic end to ford in a blazing glory would have been nice.In the case of Weir i dont see how much more could be done.Weir died with the replicators as far as im concerned so there didnt seem like much point.

Spinobreaker

[5]Mar 3, 2010
    • level: 10
    Im actually in the process if writing a 'season 6' for SGA. Its taking me a while, but one of the tihngs ive done is give ford one of the major roles in it.
    Basically the first we see him is at the end of the 5-6th ep where we see him in a hooded out fit step through the gate. Ive mentioned a hooded person as far back as ep 3 but nothings really made of it till i reveal its ford as right at the end he enters the gate behind them team, as we see his face as he glaces back over his sholder
    He comes back in the mid season 2 parter and then disapears again until the end of season 6, the eps called "The End of an Age" and is currently in 2 parts...
    i dont wnat to go into it but im looking for people to help me work on the whole series, so if ur intersted message me and i cna bring u fully up to speed lol
    if not then i hope this lets u know that somewhere someone is bringing him back, even if its technically not a canon thing lol

TVvuer69

[6]Mar 5, 2010
    • level: 58

I was also disappointed with the way they screwed Ford over and Weir should have ascended instead of becoming practically a non-functioning Borg in space (I know that's another series, but it's practically the equivalent of what happened with her).

Another major beef I have is with Carson Beckett. Don't get me wrong, I did like the character, but first he gets killed off and then returns as a clone. And once they stabilized him to prevent him from dying, everyone's now acting as if the real one was never gone. Of course, in the final season, he was only a recurring character. But now that they're back on Earth, what's going to happen with him? As far as his family knows, Carson is dead. Would the clone be allowed to return home and they make up some sort of story to cover up the situation? There was a funeral and I'm sure the family saw the body before the burial. Other than revealing the whole truth, it's doubtful the clone would be able to return to Scotland. He'd probably have to be relocated and live out the rest of his life in another country altogether or permanently stay in the Stargate program never to return.

Spinobreaker

[7]Mar 6, 2010
    re: carson -
    in the ep where they first fix him up he returns home ,to the family and what not, its quickly brushed over buti remember them going on aobut it

MajLorne

[8]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 21
    Valdir_Imrov wrote:

Yeah... and it's quite a shame really. Cuz I just watched the Tracker episode (you know, the one where Ronon tracks a Runner who kidnapped Dr. Keller), and all the time in my mind I was thinking, "this would have been a good re-introduction for Aiden Ford." Cuz Keller wouldn't know who he was unless he told her, and it would have made for some cool drama. Aiden as a runner would have been a good storyline.

I know Mallozzi said we have to assume he went down with the ship, but dagnammit I'm going to keep believing he's out there somewhere, either as a runner or just continuing to pick Wraith off as a lone soldier/by starting his strike force up again. Shame about the movie though... hope it doesn't end up in the vain of the Serenity sequel, where years go by and every so often one of the cast says "we might do something soon," and everybody gets their hopes up just to be let down.

If that was Ford as the runner, that sure as hell would've made that episode far better than what it was. To me that episode was just another rehash of Ronon's introduction episode with another guy with a cool device.
    I agree that just killing off Ford on that ship was lame. He deserved better.

Miss_barbara

[9]May 14, 2011

It is science fiction. I think that defenitly killing a character would close of a story line. If they had more seasons Ford might have come back a few times.