Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

Er why was Torri Higginson dropped from Stargate Atlantis....

LondonAngel

[1]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 6

Sorry if this was asked already on here but was wondering why she was dropped from the series, thought she fitted in quite well. Anyone out there know the real reason??

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sajwest

[2]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 23

She wasn't dropped.

TPTB asked her to come back for 1 or 2 episodes in season 5 to round off the story arc from season 4 (RepliWeir) and she said no.

They did downgrade her in season 4 to recurring instead of regular,but that's it.No idea why,though.

sinar121

[3]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 8
    i dunno how that 6-year contract works out, but it was kinda a bummer for her cuz she thought she would stay on as permanent for that long, me thinks.

Hutchinator2005

[4]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 6
    she was asked to come back for 5-7 episodes for season 5 and she didn't like what they had in mind for the character and the contract for that matter and she decided to knock it back.

brazilian_girl

[5]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 10

¬¬°

ImmrtlofDrknss

[6]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 12
    You could try browsing the forums over at Gateworld.net for more info, but from what I've been able to gather she was dropped for the very same reason as Rainbow Sun Franks, they producers grew bored and ran out of ideas for the character.

Stargatefreak62

[7]Feb 23, 2008
    • level: 5
    That's a dumb reason... and a way to lose fans...

AnneTeldy

[8]Feb 23, 2008

Hutchinator2005 wrote:
    she was asked to come back for 5-7 episodes for season 5 and she didn't like what they had in mind for the character and the contract for that matter and she decided to knock it back.

Source?

Anne Teldy

PunkNerd5

[9]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 24

ImmrtlofDrknss wrote:
    You could try browsing the forums over at Gateworld.net for more info, but from what I've been able to gather she was dropped for the very same reason as Rainbow Sun Franks, they producers grew bored and ran out of ideas for the character.

That's a stupid reason. They make the mistake and then they dump the character. Least they could have done was make an effort and try to fix the character, but I guess that would be the smart thing to do...

DZA187

[10]Feb 25, 2008
    AnneTeldy wrote:

Hutchinator2005 wrote:

Source?

Anne Teldy

over at gateworld i am sure it says 1 or 2 ep's for a two parter, and not 5 to 7 ep's which the user above mention. but she may return in season 6 if it get's one, looking at the line up of characters i ain't too sure it will, and season 5 may be the last over who they picked to run atlantis now. The producers of the show may of killed of any chance of a season 6 by picking IOA guy to run atlantis now.

Edited on 02/25/2008 3:50am

Tawrens

[11]Feb 29, 2008
    • level: 7
    sajwest wrote:

She wasn't dropped.

TPTB asked her to come back for 1 or 2 episodes in season 5 to round off the story arc from season 4 (RepliWeir) and she said no.

They did downgrade her in season 4 to recurring instead of regular,but that's it.No idea why,though.

She was dropped. That's why she had so few eps in season 4. Why Carter replaced her. TPTB had a difference of opinion on Weir's importance from the info I've read. Then they realized they needed her for the Replicator storyline unfortunately Higginson wasn't able to work out an arrangement because since she was let go from Atlantis she went on with her career and was already committed to other projects.

Tawrens

[12]Feb 29, 2008
    • level: 7

Stargatefreak62 wrote:
    That's a dumb reason... and a way to lose fans...

Yep and BTW no Lorne? How about a Lorne icon on your sig.

sajwest

[13]Feb 29, 2008

I wouldn't say having only a few episodes in season 4 is being dropped.She was demoted to recurring,certainly.

In my opinion though,to be dropped means to be got rid of altogether,and she wasn't.

She was still an integral part of one of their main storylines (replicators) and they wanted her to come back for a couple of episodes next season.

Now if she had of done,and they have a season 6,and she wasn't there (because they got rid of the character)....then yes that would be being dropped.

You obviously don't agree with that thinking,but there we go,a difference of opinion is not always a bad thing,Tawrens.

pwells01

[14]Feb 29, 2008
    • level: 16
    It's just a matter of semantics here, since I think we're all basically on the same page in regards to her situation. She wasn't completely dropped from the Stargate Atlantis show (yet). She is no longer a regular cast member. She had a recurring role in season four, and from various sources, she refused the offer to have a recurring role (or at least some role) in season five, for whatever reasons. The Weir character of seasons 1-3 may no longer exist, and it would have been interesting to see what had happened to her in the next season.

APPHC

[15]Feb 29, 2008
    I don't know where you people are making some of this stuff up from.

1.) Weir wasn't going to be running Atlantis after season 3 no matter what. The change in leadership was a reflection of the change going on with the city itself and the ever evolving conflicts with the replicators and wraith. 2.) Rainbow Sun Francks wasn't let go because the producers were bored with him and had no story lines, he's admitted to being habitually late and unprepared which was setting EVERYONE on the show back. He made a song about this.

3.) There was no set 5-7 episodes of season 5 for Torri, there was two, and they would have left the option open for a potentially huge arc that would have offered Torri in all honesty a lot more to play than the regular Weir character. Torri opted not to do it, and while I wish she had decided to come back I understand and it's her choice. As for losing fans, I think that's laughable. Anyone that quits watching Atlantis due to a change in status of any one character was never a fan of the SHOW.

Nikell

[16]Feb 29, 2008
    she was dropped giving her a recurring role... to give amanda the chance of have a "regular" role with an "awesome" performance and "relevance" in this season.... For me give her a recurring participation after being one of the most important regular charts means get dropped..... TPTB...sillyy...wrong choise...
    Edited on 02/29/2008 6:33pm

APPHC

[17]Feb 29, 2008
    Torri's role was going to be reduced regardless of who took over as expedition leader as evidenced by Woosley's taking over after Carter's departure.

solome

[18]Feb 29, 2008

DZA187 wrote:
    season 5 may be the last over who they picked to run atlantis now. The producers of the show may of killed of any chance of a season 6 by picking IOA guy to run atlantis now.

I think Woosly would be a great choice to run Atlantis. Not in terms of doing a good job, but he could make the show very interesting. With him in that position it could call for some good scenes between him and Sheppard. And there could be some very funny scenes too, depending on how they use the character. I'm looking forward to it.

Hungry_Homer111

[19]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 26

APPHC wrote:
    Torri's role was going to be reduced regardless of who took over as expedition leader as evidenced by Woosley's taking over after Carter's departure.

Amanda Tapping was cast in order to replace Carter due to the decision to make her a recurring character instead of a main character. Now, Amanda Tapping is splitting up her time between this show and her other show (forget the name of it), so they had to get another person to become the leader of Atlantis. Woolsey becoming a main character is a result of all the complications, and probably would not have happened if they kept Weir on the show.

APPHC

[20]Mar 1, 2008
    Assuming you meant Weir and not Carter you just said the same thing I did.

The decision to reduce Weir to recurring was made.

Then they were deciding who to cast as expedition leader. Both Carter and Woolsey were on the short list of who to take over. They ended up going with Carter. Tapping had the opportunity to develop her show with Sci-fi and her contract was up anyways so they're bringing in Woolsey. I don't think Carter was ever intended to be there for several years. Also, the seeds of the IOA taking over the expedition have been planted throughout the series from its conception. So what complications is there? Every show needs change. Whether anyone is peeved about Weir and Beckett being reduced to minor roles in season four or not, I don't see how anyone who's watched it can deny it keeps getting better and better.

I can't wait to see Picardo join the cast and what that does to dynamic of the show.