We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

If An Atlantis Movie Is Not Made How Will You React Toward Other Stargate Shows?

If An Atlantis Movie Is Not Made How Will You React Toward Other Stargate Shows?

zzbeach

[1]Apr 23, 2009
    • level: 12

On April 8th Gateworld put out a story about the next SG1 movie being a done deal. In the story they confirm that an Atlantis movie is not even close to be finalized. I'm glad for an SG1 movie but I thought an Atlantis movie was part of the deal. I read a while back that filming was supposed to start by now but nothing is happening. Here's the link.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/04/third-sg-1-movie-has-a-go/

If an Atlantis movie isn't made this will only foster bad feelings toward Universe, maybe SG1 DVDs and the Sci Fi channel for cancelling a show we all loved and replacing it with a show that has a huge question mark over it. That's why I'm asking this question in a poll. What do you guys think? I was going to add an answer blaming it all on the Sci Fi channel but what I'm trying to gather is whether fans will have an adverse reaction toward the Stargate franchise. I have a good idea of what people's opinions are toward the SyFyllus network without asking.

Edited on 04/23/2009 7:59pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Finalsequel

[2]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 30
    Really, it won't have any affect on the way I see the other Stargate shows. I've never understood the logic behind boycotting a show(or in this case a franchise) because your favorite show didn't get picked up. Why would you deprive yourself of something you might enjoy, because your feelings got hurt? That's like refusing to eat ice cream, because your favorite ice cream parlor went out of business.

Sirius452

[3]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 10
    If they don't make an Atlantis movie I'll be seriously bummed. No more McKay? I'll check out Universe all the same though I might grumble a little. I've learned not to boycott shows based on their affect on other shows. Still, it will be hard to sit there and not think, "You're not Rodney!"

zzbeach

[4]Apr 28, 2009

Finalsequel, it's not about boycotting the show, it's about how you'll feel in your gut about a franchise. This poll speaks more to the morale of the Stargate fans if an Atlantis movie isn't made. If Atlantis fans are demoralized by no movie, how can MGM or SyFyluss expect good vibes toward Universe or SG1 movies from these fans?

MajLorne

[5]May 1, 2009
    • level: 21
    I totally agree with you.

seto1

[6]May 2, 2009
    • level: 16
    Personally i dont tgnk i would affect who initially address a show,the only thing that could affect that would be the show's content and quality.

Endgame65

[7]May 6, 2009
    • level: 28
    Come on, they've at least given some closure to the SG-1 world, now Atlantis needs it's movie finish. You can't leave the show like that, not a bad ending or anything, but there's still a lot to be said and done. I don't like the look of Infinity, honestly it looks like crap. I'm offended they're not considering not doing an Atlantis movie, I think it'd just letting down a series that ran well for them.

Endgame65

[8]May 6, 2009
    • level: 28
    Endgame65 wrote:
    Come on, they've at least given some closure to the SG-1 world, now Atlantis needs it's movie finish. You can't leave the show like that, not a bad ending or anything, but there's still a lot to be said and done. I don't like the look of Infinity, honestly it looks like crap. I'm offended they're not considering not doing an Atlantis movie, I think it'd just letting down a series that ran well for them.
    Whoops, I meant Stargate Universe there. Looks like crap and doesn't seem to have much to do with the Stargate at all, too Trekkie and a lot of overall BS, the actors don't seem to suit the show, etc.

zzbeach

[9]May 9, 2009
    No matter how good Universe is, the lack of an Atlantis movie will sour fans toward it and possibly any SG1 movies. To what degree is the question here.

majken1974

[10]May 16, 2009
    Non of the options fits me, I've already bought the 8 seasons of SG-1 that I like+ Atlantis will be bought as I get the money to buy them (I have 3 seasons at the moment), and I'll give any new Stargate series a chance, before deciding if I'll watch or not

seto1

[11]May 16, 2009
    Im withholding my judgment of Universe until i see it and in the case of an atlantis movie it would really be nice,however to be realistic a movie doesnt lessen the show for it's stint it was one of the most entertaining shows on tv.It had me hooked from the get go and movie or no its still awesome.

zzbeach

[12]May 16, 2009
    Actually majken1974, option two sounds like what you are, like me. I'll buy SG1 dvds because of my love of Stargate since the original movie and I'll give Universe a try but if it looks bad after a few episodes I'll bag it.

seto1

[13]May 17, 2009
    LOL What i was secretly thinking

majken1974

[14]May 21, 2009

zzbeach wrote:
    Actually majken1974, option two sounds like what you are, like me. I'll buy SG1 dvds because of my love of Stargate since the original movie and I'll give Universe a try but if it looks bad after a few episodes I'll bag it.

It does fit the best, just -not quite, if they make other Stargate series I'll give them a go too, not based on anything made in this franchise, but because I love sci-fi

seto1

[15]May 21, 2009
    Dont we all.

jwgrlrrajn

[16]May 21, 2009
    • level: 23
    Finalsequel wrote:
    Really, it won't have any affect on the way I see the other Stargate shows. I've never understood the logic behind boycotting a show(or in this case a franchise) because your favorite show didn't get picked up. Why would you deprive yourself of something you might enjoy, because your feelings got hurt? That's like refusing to eat ice cream, because your favorite ice cream parlor went out of business.

Timewhisper

[17]Jul 5, 2009
    • level: 7
    It wouldn't make a difference to me either way. Although Atlantis was a great show till the end, I did get annoyed by the constant character exits, by replacing or killing good characters the show was diminished. I certainly understand that killing a character off for dramatic effect can help the storyline, but overdoing it can kill the series.

Ryehead

[18]Jul 6, 2009
    • level: 10
    I'll have to give SGU a chance as I didn't think Atlantis would be any good and I was definitely wrong about that. I would hate it if the Atlantis movie wasn't made but it wouldn't change my opinion of Stargate.

zzbeach

[19]Jul 8, 2009
    Finalsequel wrote:

This analogy isn't quite on target. If your favorite ice cream was a special flavor and all other ice cream flavors paled in comparison. And this flavor only was served at one ice cream store and it went out of business, how would your attitude toward eating ice cream change? Could you enjoy that chocolate cone with sprinkles all the while knowing it'll never satisfy you like the flavor you used to get at the shop that's out of business?

jwgrlrrajn

[20]Jul 8, 2009
    • level: 23
    zzbeach wrote:
    Finalsequel wrote:

This analogy isn't quite on target. If your favorite ice cream was a special flavor and all other ice cream flavors paled in comparison. And this flavor only was served at one ice cream store and it went out of business, how would your attitude toward eating ice cream change? Could you enjoy that chocolate cone with sprinkles all the while knowing it'll never satisfy you like the flavor you used to get at the shop that's out of business?

Well, it depends on if you're the kind of person who thinks that any ice cream is better than no ice cream at all, or if you're the kind of person that gives up eating ice cream, simply because they stopped making his/her favorite flavor. (regardless of whether or not you would occasionally enjoy other ice cream flavors just to give yourself some variety)