Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread - Enemy at the Gate (possible spoilers)

lowriderz95s10

[1]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 67
    Please direct all discussion for "Enemy at the Gate" here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spinobreaker

[2]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 10
    heres a preview

http://www.moddb.com/members/spinobreaker/videos/eatg

enctv

[3]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 14
    What is the episode mention in 'Vegas' and 'Enemy at the Gate' that talks about McKay meeting his alternate reality?

Idbeolderifiwas

[4]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 20
    Mckay and Mrs. Miller I believe. It's the one where Mckay's sister figures out some Math proof which along with some ancient technology helps them create a new power source, only to have an alternate universe Mckay jump out of the containment chamber and tell them that it's destroying his universe. It's not exactly the same as the one mentioned in Vegas but being that it was an AU mckay saying it, he could have been talking about a different situation with a different Mckay than the one we know.

Endgame65

[5]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 28
    Yay, they brought Ronon back. I'm actually pleased they pulled that one, pretty slick move really. Kind of a cheat, but hey, I'm cool with it.

Endgame65

[6]Jan 9, 2009
    You know, all in all that could have been a lot worse. I heard people talking about how they weren't happy with it, but you know, I was happier with this ending than I was with Stargate SG-1, I mean, really, at least they had a story that really tied in to the main baseline. Ha, Ronon and Amelia Banks, totally saw that one coming. Why not Teyla and Sheppard, that should totally be in the movie.

JJMPB

[7]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 12
    great final episode glad to see Ronon made it what happend to Todd at the end they kinda left you hangin there maybe there gonna throw it in the 2 hour movie later this season

osdawaya16

[8]Jan 9, 2009
    Good final episode. I'm a bit diappointed that they brought Ronon back (I like him and all, but still). At least he didn't just mysteriously reappear as alive. I love how they left us hanging with Todd! That was awesome..I can't decide whether or not I want Sheppard to have killed him or not. Hm..

MajLorne

[9]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 21

I would like to think Sheppard didn't do anything to Todd and that Todd is probably locked up again. I just wonder how much power they used for that 'wormhole drive'? And now that the chair is gone, I wonder if they took the ZPM from Antarctica as well?

And yeah this end was better than SG-1's as no major race died out and the entire episode actually happened rather than for the last minute everything became 'reset'.

Lol, anyone feel this was another referrence to Star Trek when they landed in San Francisco? I mean in Star Trek that's pretty much the base for the Federation. I mean if the city actually flew over the bridge, that would've been so totally awesome or the splash down into earth. I don't care what has been said that this was planned to be a 1 hr episode, this could not be wrapped up in the final 10min. There were so many things going on that it can't be rushed and the battle scenes of the Apollo and Sun Tsu and that super hive and of course the wormhole drive of the city.... Those alone would've been great to see.

Edited on 01/09/2009 9:09pm

danharr

[10]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 45
    Great finale better than the SG1 ending and so glad Ronan was brought back and all our heroes got to walk off into the sunset. Lots of action and the mystery of Todd still living and until Atlantis takes off on Earth yikes! Fun episode loved every Friday with the show so sad it's gone.

wingsabre

[11]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 13
    I just realized something, Earth probably got another gate. The gate is usually very tough, able to withstand nukes and such. The nuclear blast destroyed the hive ship, but it's entirely possible that the gate survived.

They should be able to rebuild another chair. Atlantis should have the schematics for building a chair. Asgard replicating technology should be able to replicate complicated materials. Plus if all else fails, there's the chair on the Tower.

MajLorne

[12]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 21
    From all the civilizations probably wiped out from the Ori invasion, I'm sure there are enough gates left over as 'spares'.

You mean from the other City-ship from the episode the 'Tower' right? Good point. That city is pretty much good for scrap parts now.

123home123

[13]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 55
    A good series finale. Plenty of action and a tie-in to the main enemy of the series, the Wraith (not the Replicators). Many close calls and since this was the series finale, I actually did wonder if they were going to kill any characters off. For a few minutes, I thought they might actually have Sheppard go through with the suicide mission, until I remembered that the entire Atlantis city was arriving soon.

I thought Ronon had been killed off for good. I'm not sure I understand how Sheppard knew to go back for him, but it doesn't matter too much. The episode was entertaining and a good end point for the five-year run of the show. Since SGA has a definite lighter side, it was appropriate to end on a happy note, with no main character deaths and a safe Earth.

The producers brought some of the minor characters back like Kavanaugh (who looks much more like a scientist with the short hair than with the ponytail from his previous episode) and Col. Ellis (whose lines were delivered in an awkward and wooden fashion by actor Michael Beach). Nice tip of the hat to long-time viewers. Also great to see Samantha Carter return at the end. Her departure from the show was far too abrupt at the beginning of the season. They never showed her reaction to the loss of the Atlantis command other than a close-up lasting a couple seconds. We never heard from her again until this series finale.

I still wonder about some of the other characters from previous seasons like Elizabeth Weir and Lt. Ford. Maybe there could have been a passing reference to those two, either in a flashback or a statement from one of the other characters.

When Carter mentioned the re-naming of the new ship Phoenix to General Hammond in honor of the former commander, it seemed like the actress Amanda Tapping was in genuine emotional pain because the actor who played Hammond died in real life in 2008. The two worked together on SG-1 for many years and it seems like they had a good friendship.

It's a bit sad to see the whole gang departing from television. Though there were some weak episodes in Season 4, overall, this was a very entertaining and enjoyable series. A lot of fun, a lot of action, humorous characters and a good time. Sorry to see them ride off into the sunset.
    Edited on 01/09/2009 9:32pm
    Edited 2 total times.

traevin

[14]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 2
    For anyone wondering, the reason Sheppard went back for Ronon was to retrieve his body, not because he somehow knew Ronon was still alive. Or perhaps Ronon simply fell along their escape route.

zzbeach

[15]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 12
    I'm with you lorne. All the Stargate people say "Yup, this is how we planned it," but every previous season Atlantis ended with a cliffhanger and started the next season with the part two of the cliffhanger. "Enemy at the Gate" was supposed to be a two parter but MGM had to rush it because Sci Fi cancelled the show during the filming of "Identity."

Finalsequel

[16]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 30

That was a good series finale. I think after the series was cancelled they changed a few things. I really think Ronon was supposed to die. And to be honest I think it would have been better than having a Wraith restore his life. The Wraith could have found out numerous ways how many peopole were on the Hive without having to bring him back. I like Ronon but that felt a little cheap. The end scene was pretty cool though. The main cast all their in one place.

zzbeach wrote:
    I'm with you lorne. All the Stargate people say "Yup, this is how we planned it," but every previous season Atlantis ended with a cliffhanger and started the next season with the part two of the cliffhanger. "Enemy at the Gate" was supposed to be a two parter but MGM had to rush it because Sci Fi cancelled the show during the filming of "Identity."

Actually, it was a mutual decision by both MGM and Sci Fi to cancel the series. They both figured that they could make a bunch of cash off of an Atlantis movies like they had with the SG-1 movies. I also believed it was cancelled far before they shot Identity.

danharr

[17]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 45

traevin wrote:
    For anyone wondering, the reason Sheppard went back for Ronon was to retrieve his body, not because he somehow knew Ronon was still alive. Or perhaps Ronon simply fell along their escape route.

The first part of your post is correct as to the second no Ronon was dead he wasn't trying to escape at all.

im52xmax

[18]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 6
    danharr wrote:

traevin wrote:

The first part of your post is correct as to the second no Ronon was dead he wasn't trying to escape at all.

Actually, he meant to say that Ronon's body was in their (as in SGA) escape route, not that he was alive, which is probably more accurate than saying they were trying to retrieve his body, since they were greatly outnumbered and with no time for carrying their friend's corpse.

im52xmax

[19]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 6

I agree with most of you. This should have been a 2 hour event if not a cliff-hanger... you know, since there won't be any more seasons to follow it and resolve it.

Still, I liked it, very much, and I also think it was a better ending than SG1's, with a lot of special appearances such as Todd, Cols. Ellis & Caldwell, Kavanagh, Beckett, Lorne, even Kenny the Wraith, plus Carter, Walter and Major Davis from SG1. This episode had great moments, such as that little tribute to Don S. Davis, the landing (or... you know) at the Golden Gate (btw I don't think they could've overflown the bridge since the city of Atlantis is so big), Ronon's "death", which, like to admit it or not, had all of us at the edge, and all major characters from the show (except for Keller) having their time in the spotlight: Woolsey being the fearless leader making all those hard decissions, Sheppard being the big hero, McKay being McKay, Ronon dying (hey, don't look at me, I didn't wirte the script!), Becket flying the city... heck, even Zelenka had his chance to save the day.

They did left a couple of things hanging from thin air on the Pegassus Galaxy, such as the fate of Lt. Ford and Elizabeth Weir, whatever happened to Teyla's people and her baby, were they on board Atlantis when they took off?. Then there's the Genii, maybe a Michael Clone or two (hey!, if Baal could pull it off, why not Michael?), or what's gonna happen with all the other Wraith factions, keeping in mind that they actually defeated Todd's fleet, which was the closest thing they had to an ally within the wraith.

Also, the team behind Atlantis seemed to leave an open door for other subjects to explore, such as alternate dimensions; we already saw that the Wraith managed to travel and communicate between them, and maybe those Borg-like Aliens could do that too and appear on the main continuity. We've all got to admit that they looked pretty threatening... and granted, also a little dull, but still.

And, of course, the Rogue Asgard, which everyone is looking forward to see on the upcoming movies. In my opinion, that's probably the way they're gonna goon the first movie.

I wish it didn't have to end, but they left on a very high note. It's like this girl I used to know which had a great ass: I hated when she had to go, but I loved to see her leaving.

ascaffo

[20]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 23
    I can't say that I wasn't disappointed that it wasn't a 2hour finale. But, I really liked it. I like all of the elements that have been previously mentioned. I found the reference to General Hammond particularly touching. I agree that "Sam" looked upset. Todd has always been great and did not disappoint. It was good seeing cast from SG1. I am always thankful to see old friends. I will miss this show. I think it really grew into something good.