Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread - Enemy at the Gate (possible spoilers)

Endgame65

[21]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 28
    MajLorne wrote:

I would like to think Sheppard didn't do anything to Todd and that Todd is probably locked up again. I just wonder how much power they used for that 'wormhole drive'? And now that the chair is gone, I wonder if they took the ZPM from Antarctica as well?

And yeah this end was better than SG-1's as no major race died out and the entire episode actually happened rather than for the last minute everything became 'reset'.

Lol, anyone feel this was another referrence to Star Trek when they landed in San Francisco? I mean in Star Trek that's pretty much the base for the Federation. I mean if the city actually flew over the bridge, that would've been so totally awesome or the splash down into earth. I don't care what has been said that this was planned to be a 1 hr episode, this could not be wrapped up in the final 10min. There were so many things going on that it can't be rushed and the battle scenes of the Apollo and Sun Tsu and that super hive and of course the wormhole drive of the city.... Those alone would've been great to see.

You know, I've been wondering about that. I was recently out to San Francisco, and you know, they get a lot of water traffic out there. Wonder if anyone will hit it . Just kidding, but really in the projected image for landing they had it somewhere in the middle of the Pacific, I'd say it would have been a lot closer to Figi than California.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Endgame65

[22]Jan 10, 2009
    im52xmax wrote:

I agree with most of you. This should have been a 2 hour event if not a cliff-hanger... you know, since there won't be any more seasons to follow it and resolve it.

Still, I liked it, very much, and I also think it was a better ending than SG1's, with a lot of special appearances such as Todd, Cols. Ellis & Caldwell, Kavanagh, Beckett, Lorne, even Kenny the Wraith, plus Carter, Walter and Major Davis from SG1. This episode had great moments, such as that little tribute to Don S. Davis, the landing (or... you know) at the Golden Gate (btw I don't think they could've overflown the bridge since the city of Atlantis is so big), Ronon's "death", which, like to admit it or not, had all of us at the edge, and all major characters from the show (except for Keller) having their time in the spotlight: Woolsey being the fearless leader making all those hard decissions, Sheppard being the big hero, McKay being McKay, Ronon dying (hey, don't look at me, I didn't wirte the script!), Becket flying the city... heck, even Zelenka had his chance to save the day.

They did left a couple of things hanging from thin air on the Pegassus Galaxy, such as the fate of Lt. Ford and Elizabeth Weir, whatever happened to Teyla's people and her baby, were they on board Atlantis when they took off?. Then there's the Genii, maybe a Michael Clone or two (hey!, if Baal could pull it off, why not Michael?), or what's gonna happen with all the other Wraith factions, keeping in mind that they actually defeated Todd's fleet, which was the closest thing they had to an ally within the wraith.

Also, the team behind Atlantis seemed to leave an open door for other subjects to explore, such as alternate dimensions; we already saw that the Wraith managed to travel and communicate between them, and maybe those Borg-like Aliens could do that too and appear on the main continuity. We've all got to admit that they looked pretty threatening... and granted, also a little dull, but still.

And, of course, the Rogue Asgard, which everyone is looking forward to see on the upcoming movies. In my opinion, that's probably the way they're gonna goon the first movie.

I wish it didn't have to end, but they left on a very high note. It's like this girl I used to know which had a great ass: I hated when she had to go, but I loved to see her leaving.

They've left us behind on Ford for a long time. I think when they had Ford in Sheppard's little dream thing in "Search and Rescue" they were pretty much saying he was officially dead, and with Weir, well she's lost in space, don't care about her anymore really. She got to be a pain when she was on the show after a while, but the actress was refusing to come back for a guest spot even so, her loss.

Endgame65

[23]Jan 10, 2009
    im52xmax wrote:

I agree with most of you. This should have been a 2 hour event if not a cliff-hanger... you know, since there won't be any more seasons to follow it and resolve it.

Still, I liked it, very much, and I also think it was a better ending than SG1's, with a lot of special appearances such as Todd, Cols. Ellis & Caldwell, Kavanagh, Beckett, Lorne, even Kenny the Wraith, plus Carter, Walter and Major Davis from SG1. This episode had great moments, such as that little tribute to Don S. Davis, the landing (or... you know) at the Golden Gate (btw I don't think they could've overflown the bridge since the city of Atlantis is so big), Ronon's "death", which, like to admit it or not, had all of us at the edge, and all major characters from the show (except for Keller) having their time in the spotlight: Woolsey being the fearless leader making all those hard decissions, Sheppard being the big hero, McKay being McKay, Ronon dying (hey, don't look at me, I didn't wirte the script!), Becket flying the city... heck, even Zelenka had his chance to save the day.

They did left a couple of things hanging from thin air on the Pegassus Galaxy, such as the fate of Lt. Ford and Elizabeth Weir, whatever happened to Teyla's people and her baby, were they on board Atlantis when they took off?. Then there's the Genii, maybe a Michael Clone or two (hey!, if Baal could pull it off, why not Michael?), or what's gonna happen with all the other Wraith factions, keeping in mind that they actually defeated Todd's fleet, which was the closest thing they had to an ally within the wraith.

Also, the team behind Atlantis seemed to leave an open door for other subjects to explore, such as alternate dimensions; we already saw that the Wraith managed to travel and communicate between them, and maybe those Borg-like Aliens could do that too and appear on the main continuity. We've all got to admit that they looked pretty threatening... and granted, also a little dull, but still.

And, of course, the Rogue Asgard, which everyone is looking forward to see on the upcoming movies. In my opinion, that's probably the way they're gonna goon the first movie.

I wish it didn't have to end, but they left on a very high note. It's like this girl I used to know which had a great ass: I hated when she had to go, but I loved to see her leaving.

You totally took that last line from a t-shirt.

123home123

[24]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 55
    I'd also like to point out that I'm glad I watched the episode on television, during its final official broadcast. I don't understand why some people get so excited about watching illegal leaked copies ahead of time off the Internet. Though more and more content is available, legally, online, television shows are still primarily about specific broadcasts, on television. For a series finale like this, it seems like you are a part of the fan community when you watch the episode at the same time as almost all the other people. There's no prize in watching the episode before its official broadcast. I just don't see the appeal of that.

The San Francisco location might have been a reference to Star Trek but San Francisco was chosen to be the HQ of Starfleet partly because it was the real-life location of the founding of the United Nations. That ties into the idea that the Earth of the future will have one collective governing organization. If you want to be scientific about the Atlantis episode, you could say that it would make sense for the city to land in the Pacific because it is by far the largest body of water on the planet. Then as Beckett guided the city back to the U.S., the writers would have to think of the most scenic location for that final scene. If they approached Los Angeles, that would have been kind of lame. L.A. doesn't have a grand oceanside monument that is immediately recognizable, at least not that I'm aware of. Maybe the Queen Mary? The other major West Coast cities along the ocean would be San Diego and maybe Seattle although Seattle is not directly on the ocean. (Atlantis would have had to maneuver through Puget Sound.)

Since the show was filmed in Vancouver, that might have tipped the decision toward choosing a West Coast location. I know it was all CGI so they could have picked any city they wanted but the Golden Gate Bridge worked better than if they had chosen something like the Statue of Liberty near NYC.

I also thought it was funny that they revealed Ronon and Amelia Banks to be a couple, although Ronon still seemed peeved about being rejected by Dr. Keller as late as the "Brain Storm" episode when he said he didn't care whether Rodney made a move on Keller or not. He sounded upset in that scene. Ronon also took a keen interest in "Keller's" odd behavior in "Identity". So I wonder if there's a real relationship between Ronon and Amelia or if Ronon was just licking his wounds. We don't know much about Amelia but she doesn't seem to be Ronon's type. Or Ronon doesn't seem to be her type. But it was still a nice touch to the episode.

Spinobreaker

[25]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 10
    well a lot of people WORLD WIDE, like me in AUSTRALIA dont get the eps till they come out on DVD at the end of the year, long after u americans/canadians have seen them, and we cant keep up with u in like chats and stuff becasue we dont know whats goin on, think about me talking THE LAST MAN atm becasue thats as far as we have got down here... sad no? so that y i dl them, i also buy the DVD's (normally twice, dont ask me why...) but yes i do dl them for that reason... that and its the FINAL EP EVER, i want 2 c it more than anything in the universe lol

as for this ep, i cant think of a better way to see off Atlantis, this was perfect... not only does the city fly one more time, but it also fights... as for the wormhole drive, everyone is like OMG what a cheat, and it is, but the humans didn't come up with it, the ancients did, mckay had been looking into it, it uses masive power and is very unstable so the tech was abandoned, but it makes sence wen they developed it to have it fitted to the city, u never know the citys stardrive might be a powered back version of a wormhole drive and all they did was dial it up significantly... who knows... either way kick ass ep

9/10

pinchasb

[26]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 13
    Good episode should have been a 2 prater like has been said. And it looked like it shoaled have been a 2 prater and then the found out that SGA was being cancelled and needed to end it. Bringing Ronon bake was a Chet. Bat to kill a main corrector at the end not a good Ida.
    Overall SGA was not as good as SG-1 but the ending was batter. I will miss this show. And hope SGU is as good as its SGA&SG-1. it has big shoes to feel. 9.5/10

pgsuperfan

[27]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 25
    I was glad thy brought Ronon back from the dead and a full night of Armanda Tapping on Sci Fi back to back that was cool

Sp00nz

[28]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 6
    123home123 wrote:
    I'd also like to point out that I'm glad I watched the episode on television, during its final official broadcast. I don't understand why some people get so excited about watching illegal leaked copies ahead of time off the Internet. Though more and more content is available, legally, online, television shows are still primarily about specific broadcasts, on television. For a series finale like this, it seems like you are a part of the fan community when you watch the episode at the same time as almost all the other people. There's no prize in watching the episode before its official broadcast. I just don't see the appeal of that.

The San Francisco location might have been a reference to Star Trek but San Francisco was chosen to be the HQ of Starfleet partly because it was the real-life location of the founding of the United Nations. That ties into the idea that the Earth of the future will have one collective governing organization. If you want to be scientific about the Atlantis episode, you could say that it would make sense for the city to land in the Pacific because it is by far the largest body of water on the planet. Then as Beckett guided the city back to the U.S., the writers would have to think of the most scenic location for that final scene. If they approached Los Angeles, that would have been kind of lame. L.A. doesn't have a grand oceanside monument that is immediately recognizable, at least not that I'm aware of. Maybe the Queen Mary? The other major West Coast cities along the ocean would be San Diego and maybe Seattle although Seattle is not directly on the ocean. (Atlantis would have had to maneuver through Puget Sound.)

Since the show was filmed in Vancouver, that might have tipped the decision toward choosing a West Coast location. I know it was all CGI so they could have picked any city they wanted but the Golden Gate Bridge worked better than if they had chosen something like the Statue of Liberty near NYC.

I also thought it was funny that they revealed Ronon and Amelia Banks to be a couple, although Ronon still seemed peeved about being rejected by Dr. Keller as late as the "Brain Storm" episode when he said he didn't care whether Rodney made a move on Keller or not. He sounded upset in that scene. Ronon also took a keen interest in "Keller's" odd behavior in "Identity". So I wonder if there's a real relationship between Ronon and Amelia or if Ronon was just licking his wounds. We don't know much about Amelia but she doesn't seem to be Ronon's type. Or Ronon doesn't seem to be her type. But it was still a nice touch to the episode.

I take it that you don't have a platonic outlook on legal philosophy

Im glad that there are people like u though. Without you, people like me wouldn't be able to exploit the system.

123home123

[29]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 55
    I have no idea what that means. You're saying that if there weren't people who believed in a system of laws, then what? I don't get your point. How does someone "like me" allow you to exploit the system? That doesn't make any sense at all. Because of my opinion and viewpoint, this allows you to find illegal downloads more easily? Not quite sure I follow the logic there.

As for the person in Australia, I'm not talking about that situation. I'm talking about people obtaining the leaked illegal download BEFORE the episode even airs and then thinking it's some accomplishment or reason for celebration, even though they can just wait a week to see it on TV. I'm not talking about the case where the show never airs at all in a particular country.

As for the comparison between SG-1 and SGA, I never saw any of the old SG-1 episodes before 2005 so I don't have the same attachment to the original series. I saw some of the episodes when they reran on the Sci Fi Channel in recent years but I think I've probably seen more episodes of SGA overall. I also saw more of the SGA episodes as they aired or within a week of airing (from the DVR recordings). Maybe I'd have a different outlook if I had seen the SG-1 episodes when they first aired, but for me, I had more of a connection to SGA. It's a purely subjective thing. It just happened to be the current show for me when I first started watching any Stargate shows on TV. Before 2005, I was barely aware that there even was a Stargate series.
    Edited on 01/10/2009 8:12pm

pwells01

[30]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 16
    A fitting conclusion to the series - Atlantis returns home!

Well, this episode had everything in it - I think it had crammed in too much and it would definitely have been better as a two or even a three parter. Still, it was done pretty well, combining action with some nice, touching moments. Here are some other thoughts:

Besides the stars, it tried to get everyone involved: Lorne, Banks, Zelenka, Caldwell, Ellis, Carter, Carson, Chuck, Marks, Kavanagh(!), and Davis (who's still a major!). And also Todd and Kenny.

So General Hammond did die as well...how sad!

Wormhole drive - is that a convenience or what!? With that, Atlantis can go anywhere in the Universe. Add the alternate reality drive from "The Daedalus Variations" and a time machine, and...

Ronon + Banks - woohoo! Somewhat expected.

So the Odyssey is in some secret mission? I wonder if this is timed concurrently with the next stargate movie, even though Carter's at the SGC.

With all the battles and explosions, I'd think they have to make up an incredible cover story for the public and the uninformed governments.

I would have liked the ending scene to be just the four principle characters sharing their thoughts and feelings with each other. I certainly don't know why Banks had to be there.

And so, it's the end of the series. With Atlantis on Earth, it leaves everything open for the upcoming movie(s). Until then, au revoir, Stargate Atlantis, and thank you!

NightwingNL

[31]Jan 11, 2009
    • level: 2

The only thing I have to say is...

That Im gonna miss SGA

DBizTV

[32]Jan 11, 2009
    • level: 43

I didn't even know there were movies planned already. I suppose that explains bringing Ronon Dax back, but it was still a cheap move and I though the whole thing was pretty much a crock from that point on. I have nothing against happy endings, but please, don't write it in if you're not going to back it up. I was moved when Ronon "died". I love the character's feisty attitude. How fitting, I thought, they gave him "a soldier's death". That's a real tribute in series TV, when a regular dies in action, doesn't happen all that often. The fallen are always the true heroes. But if they wanted him alive for movies, and the episode was butchered, er, shortened because of the "sudden" series cancellation, why not just cut the fake death scene crap? "Vegas" had a better ending, and that wasn't even "our reality".

haldrey

[33]Jan 11, 2009
    • level: 22
    A damn good series finale. Nice to see Atlantis back to earth and even they were not able to eradicate the Wraiths at least now Atlantis will be there to defend Earth. But if they were going to end this excellent show the least they could have done is treat us to a two hours finale, without advertising! It was lovely to see Carter again and some of the SG1 cast. And hey I re-affirm myself, I like MS Tapping more as a blond. SGA you will be missed.
    Edited on 01/11/2009 7:59am

Endgame65

[34]Jan 11, 2009
    123home123 wrote:

I watched it live. I always do. Unless I miss it, then I tape it. Yeah, I'm still antiquated. I used a tape, but hey it recorded it perfectly. I think when Amelia did her kick-boxing thing in I think it was Prodigy, I think they were working on making them a couple. I think that would make sense, but they didn't have anything else between them after that.

Endgame65

[35]Jan 11, 2009
    pgsuperfan wrote:
    I was glad thy brought Ronon back from the dead and a full night of Armanda Tapping on Sci Fi back to back that was cool
    Sanctuary sucks, they should've stuck with the Stargate franchise.

Endgame65

[36]Jan 11, 2009
    NightwingNL wrote:

The only thing I have to say is...

That Im gonna miss SGA

I'm gonna miss it to. Look at the bright side, they're already working on the movie, but it doesn't have a title yet. Should be interesting. BTW, love the profile pic, that was a funny episode.

Endgame65

[37]Jan 11, 2009
    haldrey wrote:
    A damn good series finale. Nice to see Atlantis back to earth and even they were not able to eradicate the Wraiths at least now Atlantis will be there to defend Earth. But if they were going to end this excellent show the least they could have done is treat us to a two hours finale, without advertising! It was lovely to see Carter again and some of the SG1 cast. And hey I re-affirm myself, I like MS Tapping more as a blond. SGA you will be missed.
    I like her better as a blonde too, and with her real accent. Sorry, but the English accent does not work for her, it sounds fake. And when I say English I mean British...I needed to make that clear to myself more than anyone else out there.

CaptainHarkness

[38]Jan 11, 2009
    • level: 23
    Now this was an action packed finale. It did seem a bit rushed at times but, what can you do? I liked this better than SG-1's finale and thought it was better. I was happy to hear that they renamed the phoenix to the General Hammond. This was a great way to end the series and I can't wait until they air the movie.

DBizTV

[39]Jan 11, 2009
    • level: 43

Endgame65 wrote:
    pgsuperfan wrote:
    Sanctuary sucks, they should've stuck with the Stargate franchise.
    Is it really necessary for you to run down other peoples tastes and opinions just to express yourself? If pgsuperfan likes Amanda Tapping in both roles, more power to him/her. Are we all supposed to bow down to each of your endlessly expressed opinions (I mean, 4 posts in a row? 25% of the thread)? But I guess what really peeves me is your whining need to run down a great little show like Sanctuary, which operates on a miniscule budget compared to Stargate: Atlantis. When I first heard about SGA being cancelled and this new Sanctuary show, I was not happy about it. But I didn't cry or blame Sanctuary for SGA's cancellation. That blame belongs to the suits who thought they'd make more money making TV/DVD Movies.

I've watched SGA since it came out, on TV and DVD, just as I watched SG-1 before that. But I tried Sanctuary, and it got better and better as the season progressed. It's a great show, but I wouldn't even think of coming to this thread to argue that fact. I make it a rule, which in a way I'm breaking here, of only posting positive about what I like, not criticizing other people's opinions, even indirectly. The point I'm making is that anyone who likes Amanda Tapping in both roles (and there's going to be a lot of them here) should be able to enjoy both without being bothered by somebody's strange obsessions with her hair and her accent. You want to complain about her shoes next? As a female producer, Ms. Tapping is fairly unique in Sci Fi, which has always been a sexist little boy's club. No matter what color her hair is or what her accent sounds like to you (I like it), she's creating new Sci Fi in an environment where Sci Fi is being replaced by reality crap all over TV. I thought Sci Fi was supposed to be about ideas, not make-up and diction, and Sanctuary has a lot of great Sci Fi ideas. Enjoy whatever you want, just don't say that other people's shows suck while you're doing it. Besides, you might want to enjoy Sanctuary for what it does bring to the table, while you can - before it's replaced by Celebrity Gardening or some other such nonsense.

MajLorne

[40]Jan 11, 2009
    • level: 21
    im52xmax wrote:

All very good points. Yeah also true about the city being too big, but then again at least the landing and the waves splashing in all directions towards San Francisco would've been cool to see.

Michael, I really doubt that's the last we've seen of him. Because if he can create a near perfect clone of Beckett, why not himself?

Totally looking forward to seeing the rogue asgard, they are going to have a grudge against the Atlantis expedition for ruining their plans.

My guess is Teyla's people are on another planet, not sure about the baby. Baby may probably be still on Atlantis.

One ship from Todd's fleet went rogue, but that faction could be in a power struggle now that Todd's captured and might disband or join other hive factions. Not to mention these experiments to augment hive ships makes them a bigger threat if they still have more ZPM's left.