Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread - Enemy at the Gate (possible spoilers)

MajLorne

[41]Jan 11, 2009
    • level: 21

123home123 wrote:
    I'd also like to point out that I'm glad I watched the episode on television, during its final official broadcast. I don't understand why some people get so excited about watching illegal leaked copies ahead of time off the Internet. Though more and more content is available, legally, online, television shows are still primarily about specific broadcasts, on television. For a series finale like this, it seems like you are a part of the fan community when you watch the episode at the same time as almost all the other people. There's no prize in watching the episode before its official broadcast. I just don't see the appeal of that.

The San Francisco location might have been a reference to Star Trek but San Francisco was chosen to be the HQ of Starfleet partly because it was the real-life location of the founding of the United Nations. That ties into the idea that the Earth of the future will have one collective governing organization. If you want to be scientific about the Atlantis episode, you could say that it would make sense for the city to land in the Pacific because it is by far the largest body of water on the planet. Then as Beckett guided the city back to the U.S., the writers would have to think of the most scenic location for that final scene. If they approached Los Angeles, that would have been kind of lame. L.A. doesn't have a grand oceanside monument that is immediately recognizable, at least not that I'm aware of. Maybe the Queen Mary? The other major West Coast cities along the ocean would be San Diego and maybe Seattle although Seattle is not directly on the ocean. (Atlantis would have had to maneuver through Puget Sound.) Since the show was filmed in Vancouver, that might have tipped the decision toward choosing a West Coast location. I know it was all CGI so they could have picked any city they wanted but the Golden Gate Bridge worked better than if they had chosen something like the Statue of Liberty near NYC.

*** I also thought it was funny that they revealed Ronon and Amelia Banks to be a couple, although Ronon still seemed peeved about being rejected by Dr. Keller as late as the "Brain Storm" episode when he said he didn't care whether Rodney made a move on Keller or not. He sounded upset in that scene. Ronon also took a keen interest in "Keller's" odd behavior in "Identity". So I wonder if there's a real relationship between Ronon and Amelia or if Ronon was just licking his wounds. We don't know much about Amelia but she doesn't seem to be Ronon's type. Or Ronon doesn't seem to be her type. But it was still a nice touch to the episode.

Well said about the best part of watching the finale is to watch it on TV. Nothing beats watching it on something much bigger than a 17" computer screen.

I would've loved it if the city landed in NYC, but I don't think the space between the Statue of Liberty and surrounding land masses would be enough space for the city. Then again I have no idea exactly how big Atlantis is. Plus I think San Francisco works that much more with the Golden Gate Bridge as the background.

I think Ronan became impressed w/Banks when she showed off her kickboxing moves against one of Michael's hybrids in the episode 'The Prodigal'. Then on I think they made a better 'couple' than Keller-Ronan.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

old_schooler

[42]Jan 11, 2009
    • level: 4
    I do agree with most fans in saying that the Atlantis finale was more enjoyable then the SG-1 finale, but I enjoyed it more because it felt more like a finale. I loved how it was more epic, and while the plot felt rushed, I can't imagine a better ending for Atlantis

ebony_kunoichi

[43]Jan 12, 2009
    • level: 13
    this was a good way to end the show back on earth and not like SG-1, which was a horrible ending. Or Quantam Leap, yes I am STILL bitter about that after over 10 frigging years!!!!!!!

DZA187

[44]Jan 12, 2009
    • level: 10

this ep was YAWN.. i fell asleep the first time of watching it. I managed to watch this for a second time and the ep is so rushed and doesn't make sense in parts with the poor speedy storyline. For a finale this was rubbish and should of been at least 2 hour finale overall. What a bad way to end the show and also what a poor season too with too many filler ep's.

- "Enemy at the Gate" starts off with immediate action and keeps this pace throughout the entire episode, but the situations and convenience with which things happen don't lend to this being anything but a mediocre Atlantis episode. It was shot poorly, it had choppy edits, and the story wasn't that good - everything seemed forced. In fact, there were such weird story points that I couldn't believe the contradictions I saw were taking place.

Another weak point in this episode was the dialogue. Usually the dialogue written for this show is clean, it flows, and most importantly, it sounds natural. But here it just missed for me, and again I felt let down.

here is a major shocker that will leave you slacked jawed, but shortly after you feel unfulfilled. They had plenty of opportunities to take this show over the edge and to the next level, but they pulled back on the reigns, and in my opinion, chickened out. There were so many things wrong with this episode that it felt like half way through writing it they just gave up. I could go on for days with the problems "Enemy at the Gate" had, but without giving everything away it is kind of hard.

Instead, I will move on to the good things. Because even in its weakest episodes, Atlantis still manages to have some good moments occur, some even great.

The score for the finale had some very beautiful moments. Overall it was rather bland, but the few times it hit, it hit hard and did its job, pulling me back into the episode.

The cameos were plentiful, and some were even surprising. But the most exciting moment came during a conversation between Col. Samantha Carter and Sheppard. It was a moment that was so awesome that it brought an actual tear to my eye. In that particular scene, the acting was wonderful by Amanda Tapping and Joe Flanigan.

Lastly, the final shot of a series finale is always supposed to be memorable one. Think of the cast of Seinfeld sitting in a jail cell – a bad episode, but a memorable final shot. But this, this was boring and uninspiring. One of the characters didn't even look like they cared to be there.

Overall, the series finale was subpar and shouldn't have even been shown. I would have rather watched the "Vegas" episode again - at least that gave me something positive to think about. Lastly, before you decide to slag me for tearing this episode apart, take off you fanboy goggles, and tell me you truly believe this is how you think this show should have ended" -

I agree with the IGN review really and you can see why this ep only got a 5.8 out of 10 rating.

I am hoping the tv movie better than this poor season 5 we had plus only ep's to stick out were first contact two parter which was awesome but since then we had rubbish.

Edited on 01/12/2009 7:39am

seto1

[45]Jan 12, 2009
    • level: 16
    You hit it right on the head,they tried to do so much in such a little space of time It quickly became ridiculous and hard to watch.By now im sure you all have watched it so ill speak freely,even with a zpm you telling me a ship can jump to another galaxy in hours or seconds as atlantis did.Too many plot holes and too rushed scences,it could have been better the most i could give it is a 5 out of 10.

pinchasb

[46]Jan 12, 2009
    I just re-watched this episode and still need to be a 2 porter and at I have 2 questions.
    1. Were are the Jaffa why are they not here?
    2. Why not send a nuke throe the gate instead of a teem?

ebony_kunoichi

[47]Jan 12, 2009
    i think the nuke had to be set off be a detonator and besides john didnt know the team was there and they didnt know he was there. I liked how they brought back as many bit characters as they could. It was great seeing some old faces i know i have missed. Ronan finaly got his girl! she is perfect for him.

pwells01

[48]Jan 12, 2009
    • level: 16
    pinchasb wrote:
    I just re-watched this episode and still need to be a 2 porter and at I have 2 questions.
    1. Were are the Jaffa why are they not here?
    2. Why not send a nuke throe the gate instead of a teem?

1. The Jaffa may be in a state of disarray, and everything happened so fast that there was no time for them to help.

2. Atlantis may not have nukes. Still, they could rig a naquadah generator to explode with similar results, but then the story wouldn't last as long.

Stargatefreak62

[49]Jan 13, 2009
    • level: 5
    I didn't like this episode at all... the plot was amazing but everything was rushed... for instance if your going to kill a character let him stay dead for at least a couple of minutes! Seriously! I mean it was like "Ronon's dead" run off, run back "Ronon's alive!" it just happened way to quick, and the introduction of Amelia/Ronon Pairing was really bad too...

Everything happened way to fast, let's get the ZPM's... now we got them, okay....

Yeah I definitely would have made this episode into two, I don't know why they didn't, I have been very dissappointed with a lot of the Altantis episodes, but this one especially, like I said the plot was good but it needed some fleshing out.

im52xmax

[51]Jan 13, 2009
    • level: 6

A few thoughts about the latest posts. I'm not quoting them since it would take too much lines and I my response may be kinda long, but you may read the whole thread for yourselves if you wanna know what I mean, I personally liked the topic and it's really worth your time.

First of all, Of course the Atlantis ship had to arrive at the last minute to save the day. Let's not forget here that the whole expedition put their lives on the line so they could make it on time, so they all should be accounted as heroes, even Chuck... after all, it was Zelenka who was running the highly risky experiment, and yes, he is a very talented scientist and everything, but usually his experiments don't go so well, remember when he tried to repair the dart's teleportation device that fused that military chick's mind into McKay's body? those poor rats

As for a sci-fi explanation. Well, one of you previously pointed out that the Ancients may have researched that subject in the past, and he may be right. After all, if the Tollans could set their own gate system, and if Orlin could build a home-made Stargate out of a toaster and some wires (very MacGyver if you ask me), why can't a team of scientists as bright as the one in Atlantis do the same for a Supergate (you remember those things the Ori used to enter the milkyway galaxy with ships way smaller than Atlantis?), yeah, it required an insane amount of energy, but they did mention that it nearly depleted all of the ZPMs' combined power.

Also, no one has yet mentioned that since the gate in Atlantis was the only one capable of dialing earth, SGC has no immediate way to communicate with the pegassus galaxy other than a 3 week trip (Atlantis ship probably can't even make it to Alcatraz now), and the fact that the only working chair on earth is in Atlantis makes me think they won't want to move the city anytime soon (at least til they get a new one, there are a couple of them stranded), so that could mean that the remaining human populations in pegassus are probably gonna be in their own for a while. Let's see how the play that out in the future.

Ronon? I don't know, I think Banks is some sort of rebound relationship, and maybe he'll find a cute california girl down on fisherman's wharf that he can actually love.

And I think you're all over-reacting about the whole "dead and resurrection" thing. I mean, if you ever watched SG1, the main characters must have accomplished a total of at least 20 deaths over the course of its 10 year run, and that's just Daniel and O'Neill. And they're just as alive as Ronon, and more alive than, let's say, Dr. Carson Beckett. So rather than standing for a long protest-campaign by the fans, the producers just decided to bring him back after a commercial break, which is not such a crazy idea to keep people to the edge of their seats while watching an ad for Mr. Clean.

I'm not saying that it wasn't a mean strategy, or that some of us felt somehow cheated, but GROW UP!!! Probably "the powers that be" had written it that way from the start for the original 2 episode-run and were planning it as part of the big cliffhanger for the following season. So they had to rush things up a little, what's the difference? they still left you guessing for a while and managed to bring him back at the end to make everyone happy. Kudos for them.

Damn, I'm gonna miss this show as much as i miss SG-1. Universe? well, time will tell.

and the last line from my previous post, I did see that on a shirt, and though I never said that it was an original phrase, I did forget to mention it isn't my line, so I apologize for that. But it doesn't make it any less true.

Whatever happened to that girl?

Edited on 01/13/2009 11:11am

lowriderz95s10

[52]Jan 13, 2009
    • level: 67

Stargatefreak62 wrote:
    I didn't like this episode at all... the plot was amazing but everything was rushed... for instance if your going to kill a character let him stay dead for at least a couple of minutes! Seriously! I mean it was like "Ronon's dead" run off, run back "Ronon's alive!" it just happened way to quick, and the introduction of Amelia/Ronon Pairing was really bad too... Everything happened way to fast, let's get the ZPM's... now we got them, okay.... Yeah I definitely would have made this episode into two, I don't know why they didn't, I have been very dissappointed with a lot of the Altantis episodes, but this one especially, like I said the plot was good but it needed some fleshing out.

They did not make it two episodes because it was the 100th episode and they wanted it to be self contained. They planned to pick up season six with a two parter much like SG-1 did but that will now be the first movie.

Lots of people have asked why Sheppard went back for Ronon. He wanted to bring back the body for a proper funeral as he believes in no man left behind like a religion.

shadowspy24

[53]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 11
    I would have thought that a zpm powered earth ship is more powerful than a zpm powered hive especially because of all the compatibility issues. On an Earth ship a zpm is pretty much plug and play but on a hive its not so easy. Also i guess they should have kept an ori ship from the ori as one of those would have destroyed the ori ship no problem.

zzbeach

[54]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 12
    The beam weapons from the Asgard were able to destroy Ori ships.

Eric10301

[55]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 12
    I'd be willing to bet the Ronon Death was originally supposed to be in the final minutes of the Season 5 and then show him being brought back in S6 opener so I'm not to critical on that. I thought Stargates had those metal cover/shields which can be closed when the gate is active but you want it covered so why didn't the Wraith have it closed?

CaptainHarkness

[56]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 23
    Eric10301 wrote:
    I'd be willing to bet the Ronon Death was originally supposed to be in the final minutes of the Season 5 and then show him being brought back in S6 opener so I'm not to critical on that. I thought Stargates had those metal cover/shields which can be closed when the gate is active but you want it covered so why didn't the Wraith have it closed?
    The SGC has an Iris on their gate and that is only because the built it. Stargates don't comes with built in Irises. WEll, Atlantis's did but it was more of an energy powered one.

MajLorne

[57]Jan 18, 2009
    Eric10301 wrote:
    Only the gate at the SGC has an iris [metal cover]. The Atlantis gate has a shield which uses the same shield generated by the city itself. other stargates don't have those features and if they did, it would probably drain a significant amount of power to maintain the shield.
    though I guess it would've been interesting to see what a Wraith 'iris' would look like, lol. Probably like 'vines/veins' or such wrapped around it?

CaptainHarkness

[58]Jan 18, 2009

MajLorne wrote:
    Eric10301 wrote:
    Only the gate at the SGC has an iris [metal cover]. The Atlantis gate has a shield which uses the same shield generated by the city itself. other stargates don't have those features and if they did, it would probably drain a significant amount of power to maintain the shield. though I guess it would've been interesting to see what a Wraith 'iris' would look like, lol. Probably like 'vines/veins' or such wrapped around it?
    lol. If the other stargates did have iris's then it would have been a short run for the tv show.

Yeah, I can picture the wraith iris being some kinda vine thingy only with Iratus bugs crawling all over it. That would be cool.

MajLorne

[59]Jan 18, 2009

lol, well it'd be a loss of a lot of malp's, but yeah it'd have been a short series.

Oh yeah, they could've made more stuff in this episode to expand it or make the situations even more challenging than a 'walk in the park'.

I mean Superhive or not, it doesn't feel any more of a threat than a Ha'tak mothership over earth from season 1 and 7 of SG-1.

Edited on 01/18/2009 6:08pm

CaptainHarkness

[60]Jan 18, 2009
    D'oh. I forgot about the Malps. I feel so....stupid.