Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread - Enemy at the Gate (possible spoilers)

pwells01

[61]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 16
    When Atlantis dropped out of hyperspace prematurely, McKay said that they're not even close (to their Earth destination) - they're at the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy. I'd say that they were close because they traveled over 95% of the journey already. I'm not sure how long they were in hyperspace for, but if it's been only a few hours, then the Atlantis hyperspace capability rivals the fastest Asgard speed of the earlier SG-1 seasons (Asgard hyperspace speed has been somewhat inconsistent over the years). Granted Atlantis was using 3 ZPMs, but the city is also significantly bigger than any ship.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

zzbeach

[62]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 12
    On the show it looked like the the hive ship (aka the Steroid Hive) looked to be larger that Atlantis.

pwells01

[63]Jan 20, 2009
    zzbeach wrote:
    On the show it looked like the the hive ship (aka the Steroid Hive) looked to be larger that Atlantis.

You're right, the hive ship is bigger than Atlantis. I meant to compare Atlantis to other ships with advance hyperdrive capability, excluding the hive ship on steroids in this episode. I wonder how long it took that hive ship to get to Earth. Probably longer, but it did not use the full potential of the ZPM at first.

zzbeach

[64]Jan 20, 2009
    Okay, let's make it official...who like the term "The Steroid Hive"?

Spinobreaker

[65]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 10
    Its the ZPM Hive...

CaptainHarkness

[66]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 23
    zzbeach wrote:
    I do.

Stargatefreak62

[67]Jan 21, 2009
    • level: 5
    lowriderz95s10 wrote:

Stargatefreak62 wrote:
    I didn't like this episode at all... the plot was amazing but everything was rushed... for instance if your going to kill a character let him stay dead for at least a couple of minutes! Seriously! I mean it was like "Ronon's dead" run off, run back "Ronon's alive!" it just happened way to quick, and the introduction of Amelia/Ronon Pairing was really bad too... Everything happened way to fast, let's get the ZPM's... now we got them, okay.... Yeah I definitely would have made this episode into two, I don't know why they didn't, I have been very dissappointed with a lot of the Altantis episodes, but this one especially, like I said the plot was good but it needed some fleshing out.

They did not make it two episodes because it was the 100th episode and they wanted it to be self contained. They planned to pick up season six with a two parter much like SG-1 did but that will now be the first movie.

Lots of people have asked why Sheppard went back for Ronon. He wanted to bring back the body for a proper funeral as he believes in no man left behind like a religion.

Sheppard wouldn't risk the lives of the rest of his team for a dead body... simple as that...

And who cares what number the episode was... it wasn't very good because it was to rushed... and if they wanted good reviews on it they would've tried harder... of course your right they were planning on having a sixth season... so maybe only having one episode makes sense... but still there were some things they could've easily changed to make it better... for one... leave Ronon dead, at least until the movie.

Deweyp

[68]Jan 22, 2009
    Well of cource Sheppard will have come across Ronan's body as they where re-tracing there steps back to the stargate to escape.

MajLorne

[69]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 21
    zzbeach wrote:
    It sure did look like it was on steroids, I mean damn did it look massive.

MajLorne

[70]Jan 25, 2009

pwells01 wrote:
    When Atlantis dropped out of hyperspace prematurely, McKay said that they're not even close (to their Earth destination) - they're at the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy. I'd say that they were close because they traveled over 95% of the journey already. I'm not sure how long they were in hyperspace for, but if it's been only a few hours, then the Atlantis hyperspace capability rivals the fastest Asgard speed of the earlier SG-1 seasons (Asgard hyperspace speed has been somewhat inconsistent over the years). Granted Atlantis was using 3 ZPMs, but the city is also significantly bigger than any ship.
    The bigger question[s] I'd like to know is:

1 How much power did they deplete from the ZPM's [assuming the 2 new ones they got were full]?

2 How does the power drain out: one ZPM at a time or all at once?

3 Since the ancient chair was moved to Area 51, was the ZPM also moved there or probably SGC?

4 Will we ever see them use the tainted ZPM [from SG-1's season 8] used as a weapon? [Nice that Sheppard at least mentioned that about testing the ZPM's to make sure they were 'clean'.]

pwells01

[71]Jan 26, 2009
    MajLorne wrote:
    pwells01 wrote:
    The bigger question[s] I'd like to know is:

1 How much power did they deplete from the ZPM's [assuming the 2 new ones they got were full]?

2 How does the power drain out: one ZPM at a time or all at once?

3 Since the ancient chair was moved to Area 51, was the ZPM also moved there or probably SGC?

4 Will we ever see them use the tainted ZPM [from SG-1's season 8] used as a weapon? [Nice that Sheppard at least mentioned that about testing the ZPM's to make sure they were clean'.]

1. I'm not sure how much ZPM power it used up.

2. I think they all work at the same time, and power drain would happen in all of them. In "Before I Sleep", Janis said they work in parallel.

3. Since it was previously mentioned that one of the ZPMs were to be used for the chair, I'm guessing that that's still the case and so the ZPM would be located in area 51.

4. Using something that can destroy an entire solar system would be very dangerous! I'm still wondering if they could somehow still fix and use the tainted ZPM with Asgard technology, like beaming out the foreign substance without damaging the ZPM.

MajLorne

[72]Feb 1, 2009
    Thanks for the replies, all interesting ideas and points.

I'm still wondering if they could hook up the tainted ZPM to a device that would activate it and blow up a wraith infested solar system. That would be a pretty cool thing to show.

CaptainHarkness

[73]Feb 1, 2009

MajLorne wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, all interesting ideas and points. I'm still wondering if they could hook up the tainted ZPM to a device that would activate it and blow up a wraith infested solar system. That would be a pretty cool thing to show.
    I wonder if they still have the tainted ZPM. I admit, seeing a Wraith Solar system being blown up, would be pretty smokin' cool.

Spinobreaker

[74]Feb 1, 2009
    well how bout this, we still had the ZPM, we never needed to shoot once, why didn't they just take Earth out of phase, like with merlins device...

CaptainHarkness

[75]Feb 2, 2009
    Spinobreaker wrote:
    well how bout this, we still had the ZPM, we never needed to shoot once, why didn't they just take Earth out of phase, like with merlins device...
    To do that would take a heck of a lot of power. They'd also probably have to reveal the secret of the Stargate.

Spinobreaker

[76]Feb 2, 2009
    well they had the antartic ZPM dont forget, and they did it in the alt universe without one, so yeh, itd b doable, but as u said if everything when whte for no reason across the globe, thatd create some panic but everythingd settle down once the hive finds nothing and goes away

pwells01

[77]Feb 3, 2009
    I've wondered what the consequence of an out of phase Earth would be. The whole Earth, and thus its gravitational effects, would be out of phase from the solar system. From past experience, the out of phase material doesn't seem to obey the normal laws of physics, but assuming the normal phase matter does, the moon would have nothing to orbit around and would simply drift away. Then, when Earth reappears, it would destabilize because of the moon's absence, resulting in disaster.

Edit: I do think they should have considered all possibilities, which would include Merlin's device. Maybe they could power it up with a full ZPM, or maybe it would still need some more energy.
    Edited on 02/03/2009 9:49am

MajLorne

[78]Feb 8, 2009
    Hem, yeah I wonder what 80% of the US power grid is compared to a ZPM?
    But I would think it would be pretty hard to sheild the rest of the world from seeing a massive burst of energy from passing thru the planet. That would require a massive cover up story and would likely lead to the SG program to be revealed to the world.

My last hope is that the antartic ZPM was not blown up w.the anicent chair in area 51. Atlantis is going to need it to replace one of their ZPM's as that wormhole drive must've drained a hell of a lot of power.

pwells01

[79]Feb 9, 2009
    There are some discrepancies as to the total amount of energy in a full ZPM. The values I've seen range between a conservative 10^20 joules to 10^40 joules!

Using 10^20 joules as the amount of energy available and the following assumptions:
    700 GW power required
    arbitrarily (and generously) removing a factor of 1000 for inefficiencies of adapting ZPM to the Merlin device and to expand the effects over the entire Earth

A full ZPM could power the device for about 40 hours. If you use any of the larger figures for total ZPM energy, then it could last for years or indefinitely!

seto1

[80]Feb 11, 2009
    It would be very difficult to measure the yeild of a zpm since i dont think anyone has found a fully charged zpm but i have a problem understanding how a device that draws energy from sub space could have a limit to its power or am i wrong.