Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread - Enemy at the Gate (possible spoilers)

MajLorne

[101]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 21
    Yeah, but at least they show 2 episodes per week rather than only 1.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spinobreaker

[102]Mar 23, 2009
    • level: 10
    i just had an idea, imagine if Shepard shot down the ZPM Hives weapons fire with drones, like they did in be all my sins remembered when Shepard shot drones at other drones lol

seto1

[103]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 16
    Weh they contact it should look cool.

MajLorne

[104]Mar 25, 2009
    Spinobreaker wrote:
    i just had an idea, imagine if Shepard shot down the ZPM Hives weapons fire with drones, like they did in be all my sins remembered when Shepard shot drones at other drones lol
    Oh true, Sheppard easily could've had the weapons targeted. Beckett was probably too busy multitasking by keeping the City in orbit and firing back. It probably would've been hard to concentrate on focusing on attacking the weapons. That's the only conclusion I can think of.

zzbeach

[105]Mar 25, 2009
    • level: 12
    I don't mean to sound like a broken record but Sci Fi, or should I say the new SyFyllus network, really gave Stargate the shaft. The Stargate guys had to come up with a series finale in a few weeks with very little fanfare. While Battlestar Galactica was given months to prepare and had a huge promotion. NBC/Universal stirred the pot even more by announcing a deal to create a BSG movie which drew more attention to the finale. In the end the fans of Atlantis liked the finale even though they felt it was rushed and about 25% of BSG fans didn't care for or downright hated that finale. How can the Stargate guys trust NBC or the SyFyllus network for a fair shake? This cannot bode well for Universe.

seto1

[106]Mar 26, 2009
    It really sad and unfair.

MajLorne

[107]Mar 26, 2009
    zzbeach wrote:
    I don't mean to sound like a broken record but Sci Fi, or should I say the new SyFyllus network, really gave Stargate the shaft. The Stargate guys had to come up with a series finale in a few weeks with very little fanfare. While Battlestar Galactica was given months to prepare and had a huge promotion. NBC/Universal stirred the pot even more by announcing a deal to create a BSG movie which drew more attention to the finale. In the end the fans of Atlantis liked the finale even though they felt it was rushed and about 25% of BSG fans didn't care for or downright hated that finale. How can the Stargate guys trust NBC or the SyFyllus network for a fair shake? This cannot bode well for Universe.
    I totally agree, unless they were so called fans that never watched the show in the first place, some posters were ungrateful about the great finale. I mean what more did they want? We could've killed for an ending that fantastic [space battle wise].

zzbeach

[108]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 12
    Not just a well done finale but a big promotion. The BSG finale was being promoted before the 4th season started. With SG1 and Atlantis the cancellations happened mid season and SyFyllus never gave the Stargate guys the time or promotion for a proper finale. Like I said before, we should have had weeks of promotion with a 2 hour retrospective on Atlantis followed by a two hour version of Enemy At The Gate.

MajLorne

[109]Mar 26, 2009
    You just bring up soo many good points after another. If only they had even a portion of your thinking, SGA and SG-1 would've gotten much more decent finales than what they really got. And of course commentaries from the actors on their final thoughts of the end of the shows.

Sci-Fi gets full blame for not only canning both shows so suddenly, but also the lack of as you stated promotion. Not only that only a fool would cancel those series when they still had fairly high audience following.

I mean it's a good thing they [Brad Wright and co.] can create movies on their own with out Sci-Fi's input, can you imagine how Sci-fi would mess them up?

zhangliao1

[110]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 6
    of course the network are fools what did you expect? great shows get cancelled all the time for stupid reasons

anyway it was an awesome finale purely because it was awesome not because it made any sense

we know both the ancients and the ori are far more advanced then the wraith
    the replicators had all of the ancients tech

so why is that that the earths new uber ships were obviously far superior to both of them

yet when the technologically inferior wraith(who cant even make their own zpm)get their hands on a couple they somehow make a ship capable of defeating 3 earth uber ships and the most powerful flying city ship(possible the most powerful ship)ever created all lost to a wraith with a few zpms

anyway they should have ambushed the wraith at the hyperspace rest thing and used the sabotaged zpm

i believe carter said at one point it would be capable of destroying a whole solar system well that would have been the perfect time to use it

also they should have had no problem defending area 51 but they used nothing but f-302s they should have used the airforce that should have easily overwhelmed the darts

MajLorne

[111]Apr 5, 2009
    But at least let them finish the series by giving them one extra episode to make a 2-hr finale than a rushed 1-hr one. Well of course it was a nice episode, it had everything anyone wanted, except it all felt too rushed and could've been expanded over 2 episodes. IE: everything was too neatly wrapped up - "Lorne and his team getting 2 ZPM's in like 2 mins".

Earth got the newest Asgard tech, Ancient tech have not been updated for generations.

The City ship mainly has just the sheild and drones. It has a lot of power, but not much on offense.

Sure they could sabotage the ZPM, but where would they look for it? I don't think even Todd knows where on the ship it is.

Yes that is correct, and going back to SG-1's 'Zero Hour', I wished they'd just use that ZPM as a weapon already than to keep it locked away and forgotten.

F302's in the show are the most advanced fighter planes. What else would be better than them?

seto1

[112]Apr 5, 2009
    The wraith ship was advanced by wraith standards as such couldnt be couldnt out so easly.In terms of Atlantis there hasnt been any proof that it was anymore powerful than the countless other city ships the ancients created.In terms of why the full might of the air force wasnt used,it cause i dont believe the average jet can operate in space as well as f3o2.The attacking abilities of f3o2s are also superior with naquada inhanced bombs.

Spinobreaker

[113]Apr 6, 2009
    yes but u dont use naq-bombs in atmosphere... they are NUKES lol...
    as for normal f22's etc versus darts, im sorry but F22, joint strike fighters, euro fighters, etc, wouldn't stand a chance against darts

the F302 is the most advanced fighter versus a death glider, but personally i would of got all of the jumpers form atlantis through the gate before taking off, adding to the minimal numbers they had in 302s. but in saying that people would need the ATA gene...

As for atlantis itself, i luv how people assume its a warship and heavily armed. its just a huge TRANSPORT with minimal offensive ability and mainly defensive ability. so using it as a warship like they did its fair enough to assume that its not that powerful

sorry but ive been having this same argument for weeks (from the time the pre-air was leaked) in another forum (a game making one where people want an atlantis clas ship to fight and have it as a stupidly powerful ship, versus's the ones like me who accept ITS A CITY NOT A WARSHIP lol

so yeh...

seto1

[114]Apr 6, 2009
    You have some good points,we have seen in continum that earth jets are atleast a match for goauld death gliders within the atmosphere meaning they can take on darts.From the design of Atlantis ship i dont think it was built for battle.Droids and the sheilds help defend the city but dont really make it a warship.For one thing Atlantis doesnt have a convientional hull,meaning while in flight the shields must be activated,a huge design flaw for a warship in my mind.

MajLorne

[115]Apr 6, 2009
    The City-ship is NOT a warship! It is transport ship with standard defenses like sheild, jumpers, and drones.

seto1

[116]Apr 7, 2009
    my point exactly

Spinobreaker

[117]Apr 7, 2009
    same lol... i havn't red any of the rest so whos arguing the opposite?

seto1

[118]Apr 7, 2009
    Not really an argument,i was just a hypotetical suggestion.In alot of threads Atlantis is considered a war ship,i was just saying that if Atlantis was created for battle it was poorly design.Therefore i dont think i was created for this purpose but more a highly defensive cargo ship.

Spinobreaker

[119]Apr 7, 2009
    well its not necessarily a cargo ship either, its more of the ultimate colonization tool, with it u can colonize everything from mercury to Pluto and beyond, itd give u enough time to terraform a planet and build a colony before u move on with the main ship
    yes transport, but more a flying colony lol

seto1

[120]Apr 8, 2009
    yea thats true.