Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread - The Queen (possible spoilers)

lowriderz95s10

[1]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 67
    Please direct all discussion for "The Queen" here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spinobreaker

[2]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 10
    Scifi preview

http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=622561

MGM review

http://stargate.mgm.com/video.php?id=151

it looks interesting
    according to this teyla will become a wraith...
    i got a feeling that shes till teyla though lol

AlpaChino71

[3]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 1
    "The Queen" looks like a very dark episode. Can't wait.

zzbeach

[4]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 12
    Is it me or does Teyla in all the Wraith Queen "stuff" sound a lot like B'Etor (Gwynyth Walsh) of Star Trek:Next Generation? I had to look at my tv closely to make sure I wasn't watching a promo for Generations.

danharr

[5]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 45
    Good episode watching Teyla play dress up monster was interesting and I like this ideal of possibly in the future her doing it again. I would've liked to see what her husband had to say about her becoming the most hated creature in the universe but the action and drama of Teyla's deception were the focus so it was what it was.

Minarvia

[6]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 39
    I thought that it was a soild episode, and it did shead some more light on the culture of the Wraith. But, I felt like it was like the Star Trek: TNG episode "Face Of The Enemy" when Troi was made up as a Rommian.
    Edited on 09/12/2008 8:49pm

TVvuer69

[7]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 58

Minarvia wrote:
    I thought that it was a soild episode, and it did shead some more light on the culture of the Wraith. But, I felt like it was like the Star Trek: TNG episode "Face Of The Enemy" when Troi was made up as a Romulan.

This was also done in Star Trek: DS9's "Second Skin", when Kira was altered to look Cardassian. But Rachel Luttrell definitely did an excellent job in this episode. It certainly helped that Teyla has some Wraith DNA.

Minarvia

[8]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 39

Hey, TVvuer69, thanks I forgot about that episode, I don't know but that one stick out in my mind more then the DS9 episode. I think it might because I saw her live talk about that epsiode and how that episode was one of her favorites to do.

My only problem with this episode was that she went willing, the other two times they were kinapped and forced into this, that kind of added the extra element of surrival to the episode.

Edited on 09/12/2008 10:41pm

LexxArc

[9]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 5

Definitely better than last week's filler ;-)
    So does this mean there are no (known) Wraith Queens left in the galaxy?

pwells01

[10]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 16

I enjoyed this episode. It was back to the wraith story and learning a little more about their ways. Teyla is back in the fold, making herself useful with her wraith DNA - it's been a while since she was this useful!

Todd - as manipulative as ever! Why do I get an uneasy feeling of him gaining so much power? Anyway it's good to have him on the show. "I hope they prove as delicious as the farmers who grew them."

Good episode which moved the wraith story along.

sinar121

[11]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 8

good eppy

dunno about teylas decision to surprise attack the other ship. kinda reckless not knowing how strong the other one is! she did it to prove leadership, but still bad judgement to me

fronerm

[12]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 2
    LexxArc wrote:

So does this mean there are no (known) Wraith Queens left in the galaxy?

In this episode Todd said: 'Among all the queens in the alliance one sits above the rest.'

So, although the leading queen of the alliance was killed there are still others. And probably more in other alliances. But I don't think we've met any of those yet.

I actually didn't like this episode. The story has been used before in other shows (in a more interesting manner) and SGA didn't do it especially well: It was rather predictable and therefore I got bored quickly.

I liked the way they set Todd up to become a problem for Atlantis (you just feel that he won't go along with the original plan). And I loved the way Ronan tapped his gun when he said: 'Then he's no good to us.'

MajLorne

[13]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 21
    sinar121 wrote:

good eppy

dunno about teylas decision to surprise attack the other ship. kinda reckless not knowing how strong the other one is! she did it to prove leadership, but still bad judgement to me

Yeah very reckless, more like abuse of power just to save some humans from being culled. She's lucky Sheppard was there to deploy a sneak attack or she would've been killed.

MajLorne

[14]Sep 13, 2008
    And about Todd, yeah he is only helping the Atlantis crew in order to regain power among the wraith. So if it means to use the team to help him gain his goals, then he'd use them. Plus it doesn't hurt that the expedition has the most advanced techs around [Asgard and Ancients].

kevinmorrison

[15]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 2
    Better than last week's for sure, but not entirely satisfying. Too much of it was predictable. If you've watched any other episode featuring Todd, you pretty much could've guessed things weren't going to play out as he said they would.

seleukos7

[16]Sep 13, 2008

The concept of this episode was great, but I feel the execution was middling.

The dialogue was flat to me and the tension was a bit low. There could've been more hazards to Teyla and Sheppard and co.

A conceit that the audience has to accept is that the scientists in Atlantist have access to beyond next generation gene therapy to allow Keller to rework Teyla's DNA genome. If Teyla is going to undergo conversion to a Wraith, why would she need "surgery"?

Teyla being the Primary for several episodes would've been a bold move for the show and an awesome character arc/season storyline. But the producers threw it away, returning Teyla to Team Atlantis at the end of the episode.

And while Teyla was a Wraith, it would've been interesting to see her experience the urges and drives that come with being a Wraith like the promos tried to hint. But she was the exact same Teyla beneath the Wraith skin--unless she was wearing prosthetics. But if Todd is to be believed (and according to established mythology) Wraith have a telepathic link so they would've sensed a mere human in Wraith guise.

Also, it wasn't clear what Teyla hoped to accomplish by attacking the Wraith cruiser. Did she want to show her "strength" as the new Primary to her "hive"? Did she want to kill Wraith (and herself in the process)? She employed no tactics in her attack. And if the other hive ship was damaged by her surprise attack, how did it rally to inflict more damage on her hive ship as the battle went on?

The producers have been sloppy over characterization, plot, logic, etc. over the last few years. Anyhow, it doesn't matter since the series will be cancelled.

Edited on 09/13/2008 3:46pm

pgsuperfan

[17]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 25
    I thought the plot was from something I have seen before "Star Trek: TNG episode "Face Of The Enemy" when Troi was made up as a Rommian" but I liked this one
    Edited on 09/13/2008 3:44pm

seleukos7

[18]Sep 13, 2008

pgsuperfan wrote:
    I thought the plot was from something I have seen before "Star Trek: TNG episode "Face Of The Enemy" when Troi was made up as a Rommian" but I liked this one

I thought that, too.

On the one hand, it's just about impossible to tell an "original" story since every plot has been told.

On the other hand, when one tells an inferior version of a familiar plot/episode, it's "cliched" and "recycled."

sinar121

[19]Sep 13, 2008
    MajLorne wrote:
    sinar121 wrote:

good eppy

Yeah very reckless, more like abuse of power just to save some humans from being culled. She's lucky Sheppard was there to deploy a sneak attack or she would've been killed.

u're right, she probably did it to save some humans and destroy as much wraith as possible. but did she not care if she wuz gonna be destroyed too and not care about the mission anymore? me wonders.

MajLorne

[20]Sep 13, 2008
    Well self sacrifice isn't out of the question. If it means one more hive ship destroyed and the lives of the humans spared for now, then it'll probably be worth it in her view.