Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread - The Queen (possible spoilers)

sinar121

[21]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 8

MajLorne wrote:
    Well self sacrifice isn't out of the question. If it means one more hive ship destroyed and the lives of the humans spared for now, then it'll probably be worth it in her view.

yea, she probably don't care about dying. but if that's the reason - to save some humans and kill wraith, seems like she's kinda missing the bigger picture with the whole mission, i dunno, or she don't care no more

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajLorne

[22]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 21
    Well it's kinda like the hero's code, to save other lives, you might have to sacrifice your own. Plus if the other wraith knew of her real intentions, suicide might've been better than whatever plans they would've had for her. *IMO of course

sinar121

[23]Sep 13, 2008
    me see ur point. and maybe she wuz also afraid dat making contact with the other ship could increase the chance of exposing herself. could go either way but me still don't think she made the right play (i mean, if sheppard didn't help)

Endgame65

[24]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 28
    pwells01 wrote:

I enjoyed this episode. It was back to the wraith story and learning a little more about their ways. Teyla is back in the fold, making herself useful with her wraith DNA - it's been a while since she was this useful!

Todd - as manipulative as ever! Why do I get an uneasy feeling of him gaining so much power? Anyway it's good to have him on the show. "I hope they prove as delicious as the farmers who grew them."

Good episode which moved the wraith story along.

Yeah, I imagine there'll be more Todd before the series is out. I would expect more very soon.

ascaffo

[25]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 23
    danharr wrote:
    Good episode watching Teyla play dress up monster was interesting and I like this ideal of possibly in the future her doing it again. I would've liked to see what her husband had to say about her becoming the most hated creature in the universe but the action and drama of Teyla's deception were the focus so it was what it was.

She didn't marry him, did she?

MajLorne

[26]Sep 13, 2008
    I would assume she did marry him or had a ceremony to confirm her union/bond to him. And danharr, Kanaan was a wraith hybrid so he'd probably understand what Teyla is going through on some levels. Obviously masquerading as a wraith queen is a major difference as opposed to a 'henchman'.

Super_Dooper

[27]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 15
    I loved this episode. Todd is such a great character, he's funny, too, which added to the eps brilliance as well. **Ditto whoever said that about Ronan and how he was tapping his gun.

D-LinkUK

[28]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 24

Also enjoyed the episode, plenty of suspense which I like with SGA and enjoyed the return of Todd, strange seeing Teyla in Wraith get-up.

Mangalore

[29]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 7
    The storyline would have been far more interesting without the reset button at the end.

Teyla forced to play the part of a queen (most likely even a "successful" one to bring all the other Hive queens to agree to her radical next step ) would have been far more interesting.

And it seemed implausible that the other Hive ship could supposedly just shake the massive (well, there was lots of fire balls) battle damage it received in the opening salvo and reverse the odds seems strange to me. It seems to me in other episodes such a surprise attack was always crippling to the ship on the receiving end.

seleukos7

[30]Sep 14, 2008

Mangalore wrote:
    The storyline would have been far more interesting without the reset button at the end. Teyla forced to play the part of a queen (most likely even a "successful" one to bring all the other Hive queens to agree to her radical next step ) would have been far more interesting.
    I hear you.
    Mangalore wrote:
    And it seemed implausible that the other Hive ship could supposedly just shake the massive (well, there was lots of fire balls) battle damage it received in the opening salvo and reverse the odds seems strange to me. It seems to me in other episodes such a surprise attack was always crippling to the ship on the receiving end.
    Michael Straczynski and Ron Moore didn't miss details like this when they produced B5, DS9, and the early BSG.

IMHO, the Atlantis producers, Mallozzi and Mullie, and the writing staff only halfway know what they're doing. They're telling safe rather than daring stories, and they're making things happen along the lines they want rather than letting them play out to their logical conclusion. They're cut off from the fans and stuck in their own world where they support each other on their creative choices. The Stargate production staff needs new talent with a fresh perspective. But it's too late for Atlantis now.

I expect that the first several episodes of Universe, maybe the whole first season will be fresh under Wright and Cooper. But then they'll step aside from exhaustion and/or a desire to pursue something new. Then someone like Mallozzi and Mullie will assume the reins and take Universe on a slow, steady course downhill, like what happened with Atlantis. We're seeing what happened to Trek overtake Stargate now. IMHO, the producers are too close to the franchise to see how they're losing their creativity and MGM is oversaturating the market with Stargate films and series that will inevitably dry up the franchise well.

C'est le vie.

Celestra9

[31]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 16
    D-LinkUK wrote:

strange seeing Teyla in Wraith get-up.

Am I the only one who thinks she looked better as a wraith? She was strangely more feminine which was very disturbing.

lowriderz95s10

[32]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 67

Mangalore wrote:
    The storyline would have been far more interesting without the reset button at the end. Teyla forced to play the part of a queen (most likely even a "successful" one to bring all the other Hive queens to agree to her radical next step ) would have been far more interesting. And it seemed implausible that the other Hive ship could supposedly just shake the massive (well, there was lots of fire balls) battle damage it received in the opening salvo and reverse the odds seems strange to me. It seems to me in other episodes such a surprise attack was always crippling to the ship on the receiving end.

Not all Hive ships are created egual since they are grown not built. A newer ship would have better hull regeneration then a 10,000 year old one. (most of the Hives from early in the show were still around from the Ancient war but since the war with the Asurans they have been forced to repentance their fleet) Also in "Allies" it was mentioned that there were only a limited number of what they called keepers of the fleet and had made their own alliances.

sinar121

[33]Sep 14, 2008
    lowriderz95s10 wrote:

Mangalore wrote:
    The storyline would have been far more interesting without the reset button at the end. Teyla forced to play the part of a queen (most likely even a "successful" one to bring all the other Hive queens to agree to her radical next step ) would have been far more interesting. And it seemed implausible that the other Hive ship could supposedly just shake the massive (well, there was lots of fire balls) battle damage it received in the opening salvo and reverse the odds seems strange to me. It seems to me in other episodes such a surprise attack was always crippling to the ship on the receiving end.

Not all Hive ships are created egual since they are grown not built. A newer ship would have better hull regeneration then a 10,000 year old one. (most of the Hives from early in the show were still around from the Ancient war but since the war with the Asurans they have been forced to repentance their fleet) Also in "Allies" it was mentioned that there were only a limited number of what they called keepers of the fleet and had made their own alliances.

yea, me wuz just gonna say that...the hive ships could be different. not only different models cuz of newer, but maybe also differences with different alliance

Spinobreaker

[34]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 10
    exactly, if u damage a ship in war u say get aboard it but its beyond salvaging, the first thing u take are the supplies like guns and food...
    dont forget teylas hive did loose one of its main weapon arrays so that might of bn the turning point
    if i was teylas hive id focus my fire on the dart bays, hyper drive and sub light engines.
    then launch your darts and take out there weapons... easy win lol

ebony_kunoichi

[35]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 13
    Good eps. Yeah it's been done before, but Teyla was great as a wraith queen, but Todd stole the show once again. I love me some Todd. He is funny, sarcastic, plotting, and very hot!!

Mangalore

[36]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 7
    lowriderz95s10 wrote:

Any indications to support this theory? Yes, hive ships are grown, so are cruiser but for some odd reason you don't see any difference in the ship classes of Hive ships. They all share roughly the same size, superstructure and blue balls of hurt. As there is no indication of different classes (in ST they at least colored the same model differently to indicate such a thing) one should assume they are supposed to be same class. And without fundamental difference in size and hardware there simply cannot be much significant difference in performance excluding technobabble that makes these blue balls of light somehow badder than the other blue balls of light. It was just a small point really, but a little too convenient to go from "open fire" to "oh my god, they are killing us!" in such a hurry so Shepphard has to save the day.

Someone mentioned BSG: Wasn't the only successful battle that with Pegasus? All the other BSG battles were merely holding actions in which the battlestar bravely ran away as soon as it could. Well, it is curious where they still get Vipers from...

MajLorne

[37]Sep 15, 2008
    Which successful battle involving the pegasus? You mean the one where it joined the Galactica to destroy the resurrection ship in season 2? Or when it helped save the Galactica in Exodus part 2? Pegasus being the newer model would more than hold its own except it basically had to cover for Galactica and in the end was abandoned and it at least took down 2 base stars with it. Galactica has the extra vipers since all the vipers from Pegasus landed inside Galactica as it jumped.

Back to topic: All hive ships are basically the same like a sort of 'standard design shape'. The main differences are basically internal like maybe new 'materials' to create the hive ships which can change over 10,000 years.

princessFirefly

[38]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 4
    i just finished seeing it and it was very good. i LOVE seeing todd! seeing tayla as a wraith was creepy. i liked her best as the white haired wraith from the 1st season.

sinar121

[39]Sep 15, 2008
    lol if they are the same, then its bad tactics or bad shooters

Spinobreaker

[40]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 10

again, as i said, teylas hive lost one of its weapon arrays in the battle, thatd turn the tide against them

also is it me or did shepards jumper look HUGE compared to the enemy hive, considering a jumpers all of 10-20m long and a hive is like 1km long, it seemed to b HUGE compated to what its meant 2 b

and the nubers are extimations based on comparisons between the jumper, the deadalus and a hive...

Edited on 09/16/2008 2:36am