Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

Puddle Jumper Plot Hole?

Xyrexus

[1]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 2

I may just not be very observant, but I've watched all of Stargate Atlantis twice now and something bothers me.

In the beginning they only had Three Puddle Jumpers, and then suddenly one episode they had more with no explanation, where did they get them from?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lowriderz95s10

[2]Oct 5, 2009
    • level: 67
    First off there were more than 3 to begin with. In this photo from "Rising" 4 can be seen and Sheppard is in a cloaked one as well so there were at least 5. They did get more in "The Tower" and then more were found in the underwater Jumper Bay in "The Return".

seto1

[3]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 16
    Well was a topic really needed for that but glad its been cleared up,bdw i thought they had 9 jumpers and the time ship to begin with.

wedgeantilles54

[4]Oct 10, 2009
    • level: 12

I thought the SGC had the jumper with the time machine built into in, of course it is possible that there was more than one
    but in the episode its good to be king, SG-1 found it whent they went to get Mayborne before Ba'al took over the planet he was living on

seto1

[5]Oct 10, 2009
    The Sgc did have a time ship but the evidence points to the theory that janus developed the tech on Atlantis .When Weir used the ship to travel back 10,000 years Merlin thought the risk of changing the future was too great and ordered it destroyed before leaving the city.So the second time ship was built when janus returned to earth.

Crais_luvr

[6]Nov 10, 2009
    • level: 4
    What has always bugged me is how could LT. Ford escape in a puddle jumper? He was pumped full of Wraith juice!

MajLorne

[7]Nov 11, 2009
    • level: 21
    On Joe's blog, he says that jumpers are on 'auto pilot' before flying thru the gate. I dunno how much of it is true, but it's possible Ford ditched the jumper whereever he went to. And since Atlantis probably has the coordinates where Ford went, they could've recovered the jumper.*

*my speculation.

Crais_luvr

[8]Nov 11, 2009
    • level: 4

Sounds logical...

Maybe I am beating a dead horse.. but how did he start it up? The Ancients designed them so that Wraith's couldn't... Guess they leave them running..lol

MajLorne

[9]Nov 22, 2009
    Yeah that's the part I don't get. It's clear the ships can't start unless someone with the ATA gene activates the jumper. Maybe Ford 'hotwired' the Jumper or something...

seto1

[10]Nov 29, 2009
    MajLorne wrote:
    Yeah that's the part I don't get. It's clear the ships can't start unless someone with the ATA gene activates the jumper. Maybe Ford 'hotwired' the Jumper or something...
    From what i have seen there is usually a team guarding the jumpers maybe me of them had the gene and ford persuade them to activate the ship,then stun them and left.

TVvuer69

[11]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 58
    Another question that comes to mind is how Michael was able to steal the PJ when Shepperd and the team went to rescue Teyla as she was giving birth. Even though he's only part-Wraith after his initial treatment, he should have been far less likely to operate one than Ford. About the only theory that comes to mind is that he might have extracted some of Beckett's DNA and utilize it in a way that gives him the capability.

seto1

[12]Dec 5, 2009
    Hmm whatever he did must have some how been more efficent than the 47percent success rate that the gene terepy has.

MajLorne

[13]Dec 5, 2009
    TVvuer69 wrote:
    Another question that comes to mind is how Michael was able to steal the PJ when Shepperd and the team went to rescue Teyla as she was giving birth. Even though he's only part-Wraith after his initial treatment, he should have been far less likely to operate one than Ford. About the only theory that comes to mind is that he might have extracted some of Beckett's DNA and utilize it in a way that gives him the capability.
    One of the hybrids probably had the gene or was injected with it. Afterall he did create an exact clone of Beckett.

Spinobreaker

[14]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 10
    well, dont forget the wriath on the planet said that he could fly the jumper with shepards dead hands, so what if in the infirmary, he got some bllod on his hand and that allowed him to activate it lol

as for michael stealing one, we know he duplicated becket, and becket has the gene, what if he gave himself the gene or one of his minions
    either way its all good lol

lrfcowper

[15]Jan 29, 2010
    • level: 1

On the Ford plothole-- Remember Radek Zelenka was tinkering with the jumpers when Ford entered the Jumper Bay. Ford clocked Zelenka so hard he knocked him out. Since Zelenka doesn't have the ATA either, it's probable the jumper systems had been activated by someone with the ATA so he could do stuff. Therefore, all Ford had to do was sit in the navigator's seat, do whatever needed done to send it down to the gateroom, and dial the gate, all of which are things it either did automagically or that a non-ATA carrier could do (like dialing the gate). After that, he did just what Sheppard said he would-- "The second he gets to wherever he's going, he's gonna ditch the Jumper, turn around, and dial another address -- one we can't trace."

And on the Michael stealing the jumper plothole, keep in mind he had the Carson Beckett clone who had all of Carson's memories (and thought he was Carson) for a LONG time. Beckett developed the ATA gene therapy, the wraith nanovirus, and had a hand in developing the Hoffan plague. His genetics modification skills are why Michael wanted him in the first place. Clone!Carson worked for Michael most of the time he was imprisoned. There's absolutely no reason to think the cunning Michael wouldn't have had every single one of his minions receive the ATA gene therapy while he had Carson. Heck, he might have gotten the therapy himself, if it would work (and with his semi-human biology, it might). There was slightly under a 50% chance of the therapy taking with a normal human subject. So, of Michael's minions, probably half could have had the ATA gene.

ApprovalLinda09

[16]Feb 3, 2010
    • level: 1
    anything goes in science fiction and cartoons, anyway i think the writer or writer's for John Shephard is making him to dumb, Maybe they should share some lines with Rodney the mouth piece.

seto1

[17]Feb 19, 2010
    Well the john is portrayed in my mind is quite alot like Oneil both of which are alot smarter than they let on.Sheppard for one has a brilliant military mind which has saved on several meetings with the genai,most notably when they took control of the city.So even though john seems not as clever he has proven time and time again to surprise rodney with his knowledge ,leading me to the belief that this subtle intelligence is a simply ploy on the part of the writers.

DavidPickles

[18]Feb 5, 2013
    • level: 7

here's a new one (or not found it on search)

how come the pj's interior changed after i think season 1 ?

suddenly they 'all' have these blue /beige faint amber light panels.. on the sides plus the dash board changed a bit..

i would assume production values and better more visually appealing..