Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

SGA Finale Spoiler

MajLorne

[41]Sep 20, 2008
    • level: 21
    Ah, I was wondering what the colors mean. Much appreciated, and heck anything but major is welcomed

Shameless milestone.
    *1400th post
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sinar121

[42]Sep 20, 2008
    • level: 8
    MajLorne wrote:
    Ah, I was wondering what the colors mean. Much appreciated, and heck anything but major is welcomed

Shameless milestone.
    *1400th post

congrats! i'm right behind you! (not really, but maybe soon)

wingsabre

[43]Sep 20, 2008
    • level: 13
    pwells01 wrote:

MajLorne wrote:
    2nd season! Even Carter was Major for like 4 years. So Davis has been Major for like 10 years?

Yeah, about 10 years or so. Carter was still a captain when he was introduced, and she went up three ranks to a full colonel during that time. She was frontline during wartime, but I still think Davis should have been promoted as well.

Carter blew up a sun, saved several worlds, commanded SG-1 for a period of time and defeated the Replicators. Davis was a go between for the Pentagon and SGC. It doesn't look like he had a command, so it figures that he didn't get a promotion.

pwells01

[44]Sep 20, 2008
    • level: 16
    wingsabre wrote:
    pwells01 wrote:

MajLorne wrote:
    2nd season! Even Carter was Major for like 4 years. So Davis has been Major for like 10 years?

Yeah, about 10 years or so. Carter was still a captain when he was introduced, and she went up three ranks to a full colonel during that time. She was frontline during wartime, but I still think Davis should have been promoted as well.

Carter blew up a sun, saved several worlds, commanded SG-1 for a period of time and defeated the Replicators. Davis was a go between for the Pentagon and SGC. It doesn't look like he had a command, so it figures that he didn't get a promotion.

Reiterating one of my previous posts in the thread, ten years as a Major in the U.S. Military is too long, even for paper pushers, and to me Major Davis was much more than a paper pusher - he had very important responsibilities. I could think of several possible reasons how one could remain as a Major for ten years, but none of them makes any sense in Davis' case from what we know of him. In any case, it would be an extraordinary reason that deserves some explanation.

By the way, I don't have much of a problem with Carter's rank.

TaquaDeldrant

[45]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 18
    sinar121 wrote:
    response to spoiler...

***SPOILER***

***SPOILER***

wingsabre

[46]Sep 21, 2008
    Maybe he sucked at what he did. Was cocky to the boss, and tried to sleep with his daughter. He did loose the X-303. Since we haven't seen him for a while, he may have also taken a leave of absence. Either way, it can be explained or was simply something the writers overlooked. Remember Ensign Kim was an ensign for 7 years, while being a senior officer and had command duties.

sinar121

[47]Sep 21, 2008
    TaquaDeldrant wrote:
    sinar121 wrote:
    response to spoiler...

***SPOILER***

***SPOILER***

let's hope so!

TaquaDeldrant

[48]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 18
    wingsabre wrote:
    Remember Ensign Kim was an ensign for 7 years, while being a senior officer and had command duties.
    That was a different situation, though. They were a long way from earth, so promotions were problematic. If they'd continued to promote people, they'd ended up with a ship full of commanders and without any lieutenants or ensigns.
    The only regular characters getting promoted were Paris and Tuvok and both were demoted previously (as far as I remember).

wingsabre

[49]Sep 21, 2008
    TaquaDeldrant wrote:
    wingsabre wrote:
    Remember Ensign Kim was an ensign for 7 years, while being a senior officer and had command duties.
    That was a different situation, though. They were a long way from earth, so promotions were problematic. If they'd continued to promote people, they'd ended up with a ship full of commanders and without any lieutenants or ensigns.
    The only regular characters getting promoted were Paris and Tuvok and both were demoted previously (as far as I remember).

So? The original Enterprise, and A had 3 captains at command. Carter and Cameron held the same rank. You can have the same rank with someone but, one of them may be the leader.

MajLorne

[50]Sep 21, 2008

So maybe there were problems with the writting and script in the Star Trek series then.

Cameron is the same rank as Sam because he desperately wanted to rejoin and lead SG-1. Otherwise he would've just had his own team and Carter leading SG-1 herself. He also stated it perfectly being that not only is he the same rank, but Teal'c and Vala are aliens and Daniel is a civilain, so he really has no 'rank' among the team compared to a standard military team.

Edited on 09/21/2008 2:00pm
    Edited 2 total times.

sinar121

[51]Sep 21, 2008
    u know, just speaking of major davis, i'm kinda thinking that he's an exceptional major. all i see is him being compared to people like carter, but besides her, i'm guessing he's like up there. here's what i remember about him in sg1:

involved in the super secret stargate project
    liason between pentagon and SGC
    was one who was deemed worthy to go to alpha site as part of the best to continue when earth was gonna be doomed
    negotiated with russians to get dhd
    disclosed stargate program to the ambassadors

those come to mind but probably more. so i think compared to the average major, he's done alot more and he shoulda been promoted faster than an average major IMO

MajLorne

[52]Sep 21, 2008
    Yup, obviously sure nowhere near Carter's accomplishments, but hey he does do his minor share for the SGC and should be recognized for what he's done.
    So since Carter is a full bird Col., making Davis a Lt. Col. shouldn't be such an impossible sight. Of course he'll never be the same rank as her, but that's no reason to keep him as major for so many years.
    Even Lorne is going to have to be promoted eventually, not now, but eventually.

sinar121

[53]Sep 21, 2008
    yea Lorne, about 6 years, should definitely be due for promotion anytime now (then u have to change ur handle! )

sheppard, probably 1 more year to full colonel, so by movie time he could be that, and hopefully Lorne will be lieutenant colonel

MajLorne

[54]Sep 21, 2008
    Lol, if only there was a way [honestly, can you change it or is it stuck forever?] I guess I should be lucky so far

sinar121

[55]Sep 21, 2008
    MajLorne wrote:
    Lol, if only there was a way [honestly, can you change it or is it stuck forever?] I guess I should be lucky so far

no idea...maybe admin can change handle if it's necessary or very important, and promoting lorne could qualify for that!

MajLorne

[56]Sep 21, 2008
    Lol, that'd be great, but I guess it isn't too important yet
    General Lorne has a nice ring to it though

sinar121

[57]Sep 21, 2008
    yea, skip the middle ranks and just go for the big one. u may have to wait a few years for that, tho!

MajLorne

[58]Sep 21, 2008
    Lol, yeah he'll need to fire up the drones and attack a massive fleet of hive ships or something I'm sure that's 'a reason' Jack got promoted to General in SG-1 season 8.

Idbeolderifiwas

[59]Sep 22, 2008
    • level: 20
    sinar121 wrote:
    yea, skip the middle ranks and just go for the big one. u may have to wait a few years for that, tho!

Well from what we learned in "The Last Man" He would have to wait about 20-30 years for that

sinar121

[60]Sep 22, 2008
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    sinar121 wrote:

Well from what we learned in "The Last Man" He would have to wait about 20-30 years for that

alternate reality! after evacuating atlantis, he might not have had much excitement again.

so...first order of business for him would be to bump Sheppard off! cuz sheppard's gonna keep getting the credit. now lorne would be in charge of going out missions!