Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

Technobabble

Spinobreaker

[1]Nov 1, 2008
    • level: 10
    OK this is where id like to discuss the TRUE science of stargate atlantis... and stargate in general... so ask and i will do my best to explain it
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NatalieParsnip

[2]Nov 2, 2008
    • level: 7

Hi Spinobreaker!

Ever since ST:V I've always wondered... What the heck is subspace? How can you have something "below" or differentiated from nothingness? Does the word actually represent a real facet of space or is it just cool sounding gibberish?

Thanks!

Idbeolderifiwas

[3]Nov 2, 2008
    • level: 20
    As far as I know, subspace is a fictional plot device used in Sci-fi, but of course I could be dead wrong.

Spinobreaker

[4]Nov 2, 2008
    Well subspace (and ill probably b corrected on this lol) from what i know is one of the other dimensions of space. From my understanding of space there's something like 10 or 11 dimensions and subspace is one of them.

I guess the easiest way to try to explain it is that the basic four dimension (high, width, depth, time) are like a piece of fabric sitting flat on the ground. Now u have a line on that fabric representing distance but if u fold over that fabric the line is the same length but the distance between the start and the end is different... well subspace is like the air between the two pieces of cloth its physically there but we cant see it or interact with it. And if u were in the cloth that line hasn't changed in length or width or anything even though the cloth is doubled over you cant notice it... and u cant c the air around the cloth and you cant get out of the cloth...but say you did get out of the cloth and stood on the edge... well then you'd b looking at subspace...

understand cause i think i just confused myself... lol

Spinobreaker

[5]Nov 2, 2008
    ok after a small let my brain recover break lol id like to continue from looking at subspace (for some odd reason my browser wont let me edit :'( )

anyway...
    In theory if u lived in that cloth and u drive really fast (speed of light or more (it is technically possible i read about it somewhere but dont ask me lol)) anyway u go so fast u exit the cloth or tear space and time, then you would in theory enter this subspace field.

In stargate, the wormhole from the gates travel through subspace taking a trip of several million light years in only a few seconds) Same deal with the hyperdrive, they in theory exit normal space time to this other area and travel across the 'air' to the other side of the cloth, taking the smaller path.

So yeh thats the basics of it.. any more detail and my head would explode :p

pwells01

[6]Nov 2, 2008
    • level: 16
    As far as I know, the subspace used in Stargate is science fiction. It's an extra dimension outside of normal spacetime that allows faster than light travel. Without this, and keeping the speed of light as the limit, it would take too long to travel through space - the light coming from just the next closest star (to the sun) takes years to reach Earth.

But from what I know, the existence of wormholes has not been ruled out. There have been models within the context of general relativity, but it's only theoretical at best.