Stargate Atlantis Forums

Syfy (ended 2009)

Who is smarter?

Who is smarter?

RHam_01

[1]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 14

I've always wondered who is the smarter of the two - Rodney McKay or Samantha Carter.

Opinions people?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sinar121

[2]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 8

how about another option - tie. too close to call

same as Ronon vs Teal'c

JESSPARKY

[3]Aug 10, 2008
    Carter, all but season 4 Atlantis, when they made her look incompetent (scientifically).

RHam_01

[4]Aug 10, 2008
    sinar121 wrote:

how about another option - tie. too close to call

same as Ronon vs Teal'c

The Ronon v/s Teal'c fight was awesome. I agree that it was definately a draw.

madddison

[5]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 5
    i think that rodney is smarter although during pretty much the whole of season four when they where in there scientific prediciments it seems like sam didnt make any effort contrubute at all scientifically although that could be all up to the writers.

Finnegan77

[6]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 27
    While Carter and McKay have great scientific minds, to call this a contest of "which is smarter" negates the fact that "smartness" comes in many categories. Sheppard and O'Neill are "smart" about tactics and their teams' capabilities. Ronan and Teal'c are "smart" about weapons and anything having to do with conflict. Daniel is "smart" about ancient civilizations, diplomacy, and people. Beckett, Keller and Frasier are/were "smart" about medicine.

In the strictly scientific sense - and limited to physics, computers, and electronics - Carter and McKay are probably on the same insanely high level, but Carter has more points for being able to communicate and get along with people.

RHam_01

[7]Aug 11, 2008
    madddison wrote:
    i think that rodney is smarter although during pretty much the whole of season four when they where in there scientific prediciments it seems like sam didnt make any effort contrubute at all scientifically although that could be all up to the writers.

Yes.. but since the writers create the characters their take on it is supposed to be taken as Canon right? Right now Carter is the leader of Atlantis.. it isn't her job to head the scientists just as it isn't Rodney's job to call the shots about Atlantis.

Finnegan77 wrote:
    While Carter and McKay have great scientific minds, to call this a contest of "which is smarter" negates the fact that "smartness" comes in many categories. Sheppard and O'Neill are "smart" about tactics and their teams' capabilities. Ronan and Teal'c are "smart" about weapons and anything having to do with conflict. Daniel is "smart" about ancient civilizations, diplomacy, and people. Beckett, Keller and Frasier are/were "smart" about medicine.

In the strictly scientific sense - and limited to physics, computers, and electronics - Carter and McKay are probably on the same insanely high level, but Carter has more points for being able to communicate and get along with people.

Well.. I was mostly talking about the fact that they are both Physicists. At the core thats who they are. Thats why a comparision is possible.

pwells01

[8]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 16

RHam_01 wrote:
    madddison wrote:
    Yes.. but since the writers create the characters their take on it is supposed to be taken as Canon right? Right now Carter is the leader of Atlantis.. it isn't her job to head the scientists just as it isn't Rodney's job to call the shots about Atlantis.

But Carter didn't need to be the head scientist. Even though she was in command, she could have still contributed during those times when McKay was stumped, which happened several times during the season. And as a fan it was frustrating to see that there was no indication on-screen that she did so. There was maybe one or two instances in the entire season that reminded us of the brilliant Carter.

Anyway, I'd say that the two are comparable in terms of their scientific skills. Originally, Carter had a lot more experience than McKay, which was more valuable than any theoretical calculations McKay could make. Carter's practical field experience forced her to think outside the box. Now it's probably essentially even - maybe McKay might be better at calculations while Carter is still be more creative/artistic?

sinar121

[9]Aug 11, 2008

pwells01 wrote:
    Anyway, I'd say that the two are comparable in terms of their scientific skills. Originally, Carter had a lot more experience than McKay, which was more valuable than any theoretical calculations McKay could make. Carter's practical field experience forced her to think outside the box. Now it's probably essentially even - maybe McKay might be better at calculations while Carter is still be more creative/artistic?
    taking this further, Rodney, if has lots of time to calculate, can come up with very good solutions. but under pressure, Carter is probably better

ascaffo

[10]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 23
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    but Carter has more points for being able to communicate and get along with people.

and that is smart

RHam_01

[11]Aug 11, 2008
    sinar121 wrote:

pwells01 wrote:
    taking this further, Rodney, if has lots of time to calculate, can come up with very good solutions. but under pressure, Carter is probably better

I dunno.. over the seasons Rodney has been under tremendous pressure at times to save the day and he always comes through in the end. Also speaking of Carter and the injustice writers are doing her.. there was the time that Carter came through during that episode where they are trying to blow up the replicator planet. Rodney even tells her that they are both geniuses. Then ofcourse there is the McKay-Carter intergalactic bridge that they both are responsible for.. Carter has an equal role in that. So it's not like the writers have shown her to be dumb in Atlantis. Hell.. there was even that time in the episode Quarantine where they are stuck in their rooms. Rodney just gives up but carter nearly manages to get them out till Zelenka screws up.

But I will agree that she could probably contribute a bit more but it has to be limited. If the writers show Carter as the one to come up with all the innovations then Rodney has no use on the show. Carter has more field and combat experience... is more diplomatic and subtle and is far braver and cool under fire. Thats enough in my opinion.

im52xmax

[12]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 6
    RHam_01 wrote:

I've always wondered who is the smarter of the two - Rodney McKay or Samantha Carter.

Opinions people?

I think I have a better question

who do you think is smarter: Bill Lee or Radeck Zelenka?

Spinobreaker

[13]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 10
    zelenka, bill.... well never seems 2 get anything right lol

Ballyorca

[14]Nov 4, 2008
    • level: 11

I'd say Rodney but Sam is VERY close

Good Thread! A Brain-teaser!

gmvail23

[15]Nov 5, 2008
    • level: 50
    I'd have to say that Sam is smarter.

CaptainHarkness

[16]Nov 5, 2008
    • level: 23
    Carter.

Spinobreaker

[17]Nov 5, 2008
    • level: 10
    weeeeeellll.... id say it depends on there departments, carter kicks ass against the goauld and ori, and rodney kicks as against the wraith and replicators...

id say same

gmvail23

[18]Nov 6, 2008
    • level: 50
    Sam kicked some serious Replicator ass when they were in our galaxy.

pinchasb

[19]Nov 6, 2008
    • level: 13
    Carter

yellowbucket101

[20]Nov 6, 2008
    • level: 6

I would have to go with Carter, this is going by the 10 seasons of SG1 where she saved the day dozens of times and made decisions that were better thatn Mckay's. Not be swallowed by a black hole etc, gives you a few browny points.

As for Ronan vs Teal'c it was a draw, they both saved each others life at some point. Though I suspect Teal'c is a better stratagist when it comes to batle situations as he has a lot of experiance