Stargate Atlantis

Ghost in the Machine

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 15, 2008 on Syfy

• Great opening followed by painful waste of potential, but Michelle Morgan steals the show.

The first quarter of the episode was excellent, and it looked like we finally find out what Weir meant by "We can finally get to work without having to look over our shoulders. It's time to begin..." in her previous appearance.

Actually, the build-up for this resolution has been coming ever since Weir went nanite all those episodes ago. So, was the payoff worth the wait?

Absolutely not.

Everyone is out of character this episode. "Weir" is deceitful, Rodney is foolish, Woolsey is confident, etc. Not to mention the inexplicably (and unnecessarily) cruel fate at the end.

I really cannot understand the minds of the writers for this episode. There were so many different possible outcomes that would have been much MUCH better than the one they went with. This is really just an overall terrible episode, despite the excellent start.

That being said, I have to give props to Michelle Morgan, who previously portrayed F.R.A.N., the nanite-world-ender. As Torri Higginson did not return in the role of Weir (understandable, considering the awful writing), Morgan did a SPOT-ON Higginson-Weir impression. The tone of voice, the facial expressions, the body movement... And the character was nothing like FRAN. Watch the two episodes back to back to get an idea of Morgan's talent.

Overall, the episode is a waste. It's like they wanted to conclude all Weir story-arcs as fast as possible, and nothing else. Too bad.