Stargate Atlantis

Grace Under Pressure

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 27, 2006 on Syfy

• See Summary

Grace under pressure was an ok episode, though it was a little slow. It was very similar to SG1's episode where Carter is stranded on Prometheus and a space entity, or God? was helping her in her mind. This was a McKay focused episode, and we learned more about his character. The other Atlantis Team members initiated a rescue effort, but there were few options, and it was proving difficult. In the end it was through the assistance of a indigenous whale that helped the team to locate McKay's puddle jumper. It was nice to see Carter again, even if she was only a manifestation of McKays subconscience mind.
  • McKay's Mind!

Well we all know McKay, he's arogant, petty and treats people badly, and that's how we love him. This one, if not THE funniest episode so far, i remember laughing from 5 to 5 minutes Rodney making those funny come backs when he was talking to Sam, who is an imagination of his subconscience. I also remember en episode in SG1 when Rodney goes to SGC and tells Sam about his hallucination and how it kept him alive. Rodney is probably the funniest man in this show, this episode just proves it. I hope to see more episodes as hilarious as this one .
  • Retread, retread, retread...

This is a fairly simple episode, and because it focuses primarily on McKay, enjoyment is directly related to one’s tolerance for the character. Some fans, including myself, have complained about the screen time devoted to McKay and his personality flaws. It felt as though the first half of the season was dominated by the subject. This episode could be perceived as salt on the wound, though in a more objective sense, it simply doesn’t cover new territory.

When it comes to the characters on this show, McKay is the one that routinely bugs the hell out of me but, moments later, reminds me why I like him. It’s very much a moment-to-moment love/hate thing. I’ve found that McKay is most tolerable when he has someone with as strong a personality in the same scene. That’s why Sheppard is such a great match, and why his battles with Weir and Zelenka work on a structural level.

Put him in a bottle and force us to listen to him whine for an act or so? Not so tolerable. Frankly, the episode was a wash for me until the moment that McKay’s vision of Samantha Carter emerged on the scene. Once he had someone to work against, in terms of the scene dynamic, it was a lot less annoying. It didn’t hurt that the writers were able to introduce some ambiguity.

Unfortunately, this also shoved the episode directly into retread territory. Even the producers cite the “SG-1” episode “Grace” as a primary influence on this episode! Granted, after so many episodes within the franchise, the two series will begin repeating concepts, falling into the same problems that the Trek franchise struggled with towards the end. But the “Stargate” franchise, at least, has a better grasp on character development, even without a truly serialized format.

In essence, the idea is that the same situation is viable if the characters involved react in a different manner than the characters in the original iteration. But that’s not what happens in this case; at least, not to the degree necessary to make the episode something more than derivative. There’s some slight hint that the ocean creature was trying to help McKay survive, and thus brought about the hallucinations in some way, but it’s hardly a given.

My other issue with the episode is that it comes on the heels of another crossover with “SG-1”. I don’t necessarily mind that the two series have connective threads, but I do mind when the “SG-1” cast is used as a way to lend credibility to an episode. As logical as this crossover is, it feels like a stunt. I would rather see this series stand on its own, because it can do so with relative ease. Hopefully the next episode will focus more on the cast as a whole and attempt to cover new ground.
  • Rodney and a Captain Griffin are out test flying a puddle jumper that had crashed when it loses flight capabilities and crashes in the ocean. Griffin sacrifices himself to save Rodney and Rodney hallucinates Colonel Samantha Carter to keep him company.

OMG a whole episode of Rodney being Rodney on the ocean floor. I knew nothing about this episode and based on the title was looking forward to it. Then it started and the realization of what it was about hit me.

That's about it for me. I enjoyed the interaction between Zelenka and Weir especially when she mentioned that if McKay couldn't rely on him who could he rely on. A truer statement was never made. Just to prove that I sat through all of this episode may I say it's just like Rodney to blame Zelenka for the accident and his possible death. Also Griffin saved his life which was quickly forgotten in his paranoia filled rants.

I do admit that McKay drives a lot of the episodes (In the wrong direction) and that David Hewlett is a wonderful actor, I just can't stand this character and for everyone thing McKay does to endear himself he does at least five things to drive you crazy.

Thanks for reading...
  • Deep under water...

It was, again, totally new storyline but I most say, not the best. Ok, it had stunning moments. First, the acting again. McKay character is just so superb and catching character that it is hard to miss - all the panic, all the talking and yelling. Then very good part of this episode was the dialog between McKay and Carter, all the hallucination thing. That if this is his hallucination that should at least be pleasant and worth it.

But I did not liked the episode because it was one man show. McKay is good and fascinating character but far from my favorite and I would prefer more action.
  • good episode...

McKay is trapped in a puddle jumper that is filling with water. He hit his head and his mind creates Sam to help him fix the problem, well sort of...Anyways, the parallels between this episode and an SG-1 episode called "Grace" are surprising. In "Grace" Sam is trapped on Prometheus and concocts Daniel, Teal'c, Jack, and her dad to talk to. It's even funny because both of the episodes have very similar names. Now, I really hate when Atlantis steals from SG-1, however, this episode was very good. McKay is halarious when he's about to die and it was pretty funny to see his fantasy. Anyways, it was a good episode and was really entertaining and funny.
  • McKay is stuck in a sinking puddle jumper with a concussion and has to learn to believe in his friends to help save him, and stop believeing everything would be better without him

The episode starts out with Rodney in a Jumper testing out recent repairs. As the jumper is heading back to Atlanits, the drive pod fails and crashes the ship into the sea. Through out the episode, McKay is trapped underwater in a sinking jumper, not only by himself but also injured (concussion). During the initial sequence after the opening, McKay is shocked to have another person sacrific themselves to give McKay a chance at getting resuced and surviving. This is a good episode to have a chance to look into the qualities that define McKay and for himself to discover these qualities. A good episode to watch, as you can see McKay\\\'s subconscience (manifested as Lt. Col Carter) trying to convince him that, yes, he has friends, not just associates, on Atlantis who care about him and would try anything to get him home safe and sound.
  • Well it really was but extremly amusing

Well another Mckay episode but this time with a very special guest star Samatha Carter-when i saw Amanada Tapping as guest star, i was quite excited, i will probably have say this has to be my second favourite episode after Duet, it was rather amusing to watch and no-way would she ever wear that pink jacket showing her clevage however the actress did very good job at playing a character not like Sam-i really like swim-suit Sam that was done rather well. she really played character more relaxed than we ever seen her in SG-1 . yes i do realise it was Mckay imagination but i still rather enjoyed it. it was nice to see she can do an amusing role.
  • Funny episode, especially with the relationship between McKay and Samantha

Quite funny really, I loved the relationship shown between Carter and McKay..It's like there's something there.

And we get to see more of McKays real character, how his sillyness and awkwardness often is a defence against his own fears. We also get to see how stoic he can be under pressure, and that he's able to show real strenght even in the face of death.

A good episode indeed, with lots of funny twists and character developments. Especially when it comes to McKay but also his friend Dr. Zelenka gets a chance to show true strenght and friendship when rescuing McKay
  • Someone tell me McKay is a Gemini!

McKay's stuck in sinking jumper, they've been wanting to try it out as a sub anyway but this is ridiculous! The pilot sacrifices himself much to McKay's chagrin and leaves the wounded physicist to his own devices which culminte in at the very least a fragmentation of personality of sorts. Enter the one person he knows deep inside is smarter than him and certainly has a track record of making better choices when it comes to wiggling out of precarious situations (not to mention saving the world several times already) Sam Carter. HE loves her, he hates that she's smarter and luckier then him and boy oh boy is he turned on in general. Thankfully the jumper is filling up with very cold ocean water. (If you hear a pop Rodney, you're in trouble), Sam in this ep is the perfect representation of the dichotomy of the individual.

Once again the writers entertain, as well as make us think not about what we'd do in that situation specifically, but more about stretching our imaginations, flexing that muscle and about not dismissing the input of another out of turn or just out of pride. If you choose to, one can find meaning in a great deal or in the miniscule if one can only listen beyond the noise in their own head.

All in all an excellent ep - and I really did enjoy Rodney's confusion about whether they'd even bother to come for him, we've all felt expendable at one time or another no matter how much we contribute to the whole.
  • Come on people, do you want to see Shepherd save the day every week, or can we see some character development on one of the most realistic characters in the show.

McKay is a very interesting character who I realise is not to everyone\'s taste. He\'s not the dashing heroic Colonel or the cool under pressure, take charge Dr Weir, but he is very human and the most realistic character on the show.

He\'s egotistical, self centred, sarcastic and annoying, but when under pressure although scared most of the time, comes through for the team and that is what makes a good hero.

Shepherd is great but more two dimensional. He\'s your straight down the line guys kind of guy.

The episode itself explored all facets of McKays character including the realisation of how self absorbed he is. Lets hope in future episodes his character arc continues!
  • A great episode for McKay fans. As Sheppard and Zelenka struggle to rescue him, McKay fights to stay alive, with the assistance of a hallucinated Samantha Carter

I can understand why some people dislike this episode - it focuses closely on Dr Rodney McKay, and if you don't like the character you may dislike the episode. Personally, I'm a real McKay fan, and I felt this episode showed off the great acting abilities of David Hewlett. We went with him from the anger and fear through the realisation that Griffin was willing to die for him.
    The presence of Sam Carter gave him something to work against, and the interplay between the two characters was the most enjoyable part of the show.
    This episode seemed very different from most of the series, focusing as it did on just a few of the characteres, and with no B plot. This gave it a very tight, immediate feel.
  • OK episode, could have been better.

This episode of Atlantis could have been better. Rodney was funny as always. In his situation he begins to freak out. I probably would too. He starts talking to himself, the ship and eventually Carter who he is now hallucinating. Carter was also funny as the hallucination. The only problem I have with this episode is that there was no Ronan or Teyla.
  • Giaus and Six are trapped in a sinking Raptor on...Wait, wrong show.

As a family of series (SG-1 and Atlantis combined) gets on in years, they have a tendency to copy previous material. Brings to mind the theory that there are no original thoughts. This episode is a prime example. It does nothing to forward the Wraith plot, kills off the only new character before the second commercial break and as the title admits is a rehashing of a previous plot, under water. I even could see parallels to another show featuring a brilliant, socially challenged scientist who hallucinates a beautiful blond in cleavage revealing clothes. But I digress.

What saves this episode is David Hewlett's acting and sense of comic timing. His portrayal of a man barely on the edge of control was wonderful, as good as Michael Shanks’ ability. The interaction between McKay and Carter was nice because it highlights how much the character has changed since his original introduction in Stargate: SG-1 while remaining true to his arrogant, obnoxious self.
  • A character who I don't care about is stuck in half a jumper under thousands of feet of water and you know he will survive because he is pivotal to the series.

4.9
    So the show is still running and I am bored enough that I am already writing this review. The show ceased to be entertaining about 20 minutes ago. The dialog was fair to poor and yet again we all know that the over-acting Hewlett will get saved. This series need a lot more creativity and needs it soon.