Stargate Atlantis

Infection

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Dec 05, 2008 on Syfy

• Finally, we are seeing the Wraith again in the very classic SG-A manner. It's how the series began, its the way it should finally close out.

I was stuck on whether to label this as a "Fine Installment", "Well written" or "Series classic". I finally decided on a Series Classic because finally, I thought, Stargate Atlantis is returning to its early plots with the original Antagonist still at large. It would be too discontinuous and disjointed to leave the series at the end of the 5th season without finding a resolve of some kind with the Wraith. This is exactly why I enjoyed this. This episode brings together elements from all seasons. We see the formerly weaponized retrovirus developed by Dr. Carson Beckett referenced, the former Human/Wraith Hybrid Michael and his bastardized version of the vaccine also referenced; Importantly a very significant species is brought back from a now dead plot line, the Aratis bug. All of these elements and ideas along with the "Todd" story line really are written and weaved together quite nicely. It makes for a very good "The Wraith in a nut-shell" story. Back to the episode. As soon as we saw the Marine report a bulk-head (wall) "melt" I knew that the ship was re-configuring itself and that slumbering Wraith waking up would be part of this plot. Not to say that the plot was transparrent or predictable, but it had a well written logical direction. Dr. Jennifer Keller speaks of compassion, a quality that Todd finds as weakness, and yet, it is compassion from the Atlantis expedition that grants Todd his request to seek his destiny on an Aratis bug infested planet. All in all, I gave this episode a 9. I wanted to give it a 9.5 just for the series returning back to its classic series episodes involving the Wraith. But I stuck to my drones (guns) and gave a nice 9.