Stargate Atlantis

Miller's Crossing

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Nov 30, 2007 on Syfy

• Possible launching pad. Not a bad episode.

After watching this episode i thought it was good but not great. The hewletts act well together and are funny to watch. This episode is a possible launching pad for future episodes, introducing that there are company/ies creating their own nanites. Also the fact that the NID are involved can suggest that by the end of the episode they might want some nanites of their own.

The episode is light on action with a few scenes of doors breaking down and soldiers running in. But what it lacks in action is made up in the drama of the episode. I like the fact that not every episode has to be all gun ho and has the time to spend it on characters and their relationships. 20 episodes is a lot people. Overall I liked it but won't watch it again, well not for a while. But it will be intersting to see how the events that folded out in this episode are used in future. 8.5/10.
  • McKay and his sister get kidnapped.

What an amazing episode. SGA's fourth season has mostly been a disappointment, but "Miller's Crossing" makes up for that.

David and Kate Hewlett's acting was superb and Joe Flanigan was perfect in his portrayal in trying to get friend, Rodney McKay back from kidnappers. The John and Rodney scenes were some of the best acting between Joe and David I've seen in the four years of the show.

Martin Gero (writer of this episode), deserves high praise for nailing dialog, characterizations and the mood of the episode. I want Mr. Gero to write all SGA eps from now on!

I'd give "Miller's Crossing" a 10 out of 10.
  • Okay.....this was soooooo Desparate Measures (S5/SG-1) with a different twist. But....I liked the episode anyway.

It was nice seeing Kate again as Jeannie. I just love the chemistry between her and David. They are just so funny together.

It was also great seeing Agent Barret. He is a great character. When he and Rodney went to that door, and Rodney attempted to kick the door down (looking like an ass of course). I bursted out laughing. Ronon on Earth! How cool was that? It was just so cool seeing him on Earth....IN civilian clothes. The scene with him and Walter was just the funniest thing. I was like, "Walter!" That was awesome. John Sheppard was wonderful. I loved the scene with him and Rodney where Rodney was asking John to permit him to sacrifice himself for Jeannie. I love how John was just so calm in telling him why he couldn't let him do that. That was a great moment. Kudos to both David and Joe on that scene.

Then, of course John persuading Wallace to sacrifice himself for Rodney's sister was just intense. My jaw dropped at that scene. Then, when seeing the black body bag, I was dumbfounded. I was like...wow John crossed the line....again. But....I guess it was the better of the two evils in order to save Jeannie. I do have a problem with this episode....and it's a big problem. I was fine with the episode until........

WRAITH.....on.....EARTH????? Are they insane??? This is like a chicken farmer having a fox help raise his chickens! It just does not make sense! What the frak are they gonna do with him now??? They can't just let him go. Cause what's to say he's not gonna brag to his Wraith buddies that he's found Earth? Are they gonna kill him? I think they gonna hafta. This does not sit well with me at all. I applaud the brilliant acting of Joe, David, Jason, and Kate on this episode. They did an awesome job on this episode.
  • They bring the game to earth to make the best episode of the season. The Siblings McKay Show part deux with moral dilemmas and John Sheppard being even more awesome than his hairstyle.

The idea of the episode was cool, with Rodney needing his sister's help and then getting into trouble with her. Rodney's behavior with Jeannie is awesome. The plot itself, while quite ordinary, fit the theme and mood well; it wasn't so much about the intricacies of the actual storyline but the chemistry and the twists in the end. I'm still not sure if bringing a Wraith to SGC was such a good idea, but since it was the only way to save Jeannie's life, it kind of worked. The desperation so evident in Rodney was wonderful, especially since he was willing to die to save his sister and then in the end telling her back that he loved her too was almost too much. Excellent.

The scenes between Rodney and Jeannie were great, but the scenes between Rodney and John were even better. The season's been rather 'whatever', and then we get this. Rodney's decision to feed himself to the Wraith and John's refusal made my inner McShep fangirl jump up and down like a bunny on too much caffeine, but even from the non slashy POV, it was excellent development in a friendship that is at times shown as strained. The understanding in the end was about the best bit; no overly idiotic moralistic blathering. since both clearly saw John's decision as the only way. Well acted, well written, and Ronon should be forced to have his meals at the SGC mess hall more often...
  • Definitely one of the most difficult SGA episodes to handle and comprehend…

Definitely one of the most difficult SGA episodes to handle and comprehend…

Some spoilers if you continue…

On the surface, the plot is rather simple. Henry Wallace heads a company that is developing "alien technology" for commercial use on Earth. He has some nanites developed as a result of research in the Pegasus Galaxy. He even has the basic "replicator program" for these nanites. He's very much aware of Star Gate Command and Dr. Rodney Mc McKay's work with the nanites and the underlying programming of them. He has injected these nanites in his daughter (who is suffering from leukemia) but his programmers can't make them work. He's monitoring email traffic and when Rodney contacts his sister, Jeannie (introduced in Season 3: McKay and Mrs. Miller), Wallace has her kidnapped. This prompts Rodney (along with Sheppard and Ronon) to return to Earth where upon Rodney is also promptly kidnapped.

Wallace tells McKay and Jeannie that he'll free them if they can get the nanites to heal his daughter. Jeannie is inclined to do this but McKay wants to escape. The escape attempt fails and Wallace injects nanites into Jeannie to motivate them to complete the program. They basically remove the nanite restrictions and let them do what they are supposed to do. The young girl recovers. However, she soon has heart failure and dies. Shortly thereafter though, she revives. It turns out she had a heart problem and the nanites decided to fix that by shutting down her heart. This, of course, causes brain damage which the nanites repair but can't bring back her memories and/or etc. She is "blank slate."

Enter Sheppard and Ronan to the rescue. The race is now on to reprogram the nanites in Jeannie since she has epilepsy and they might also shut her brain down. They break her legs to give the nanites something to do but McKay can't do the reprogramming. So, they bring Todd (the Wraith) to Earth to help out. But, he's too week from hunger so Sheppard turns to Wallace to sacrifice himself to Todd so he can complete the reprogramming and save Jeannie.

Ethical problem #1: One of the primary goals of our heroes is to prevent the Wraith from getting to Earth. Yet, they bring one here. This shocked and concerned a lot of viewers. And, without question, this is a deviation from our heroes' directive and morals.

Ethical problem #2: Another goal of our heroes is to prevent Wraith from feeding on humans. Yet here, Sheppard arranges for a Wraith to feed on a human. He does so in such a way that it can only be called "assisted suicide by Wraith." He also says the report will indicate that it was accident and the Wraith attacked Wallace while on a tour meaning he's going to falsify the whole thing. There's no question this is totally out of context of what we know about Sheppard and what we expect from our SGA heroes.

The clue maybe found in the episode title. "Miller's Crossing" was an early '90's Coen brother's film. It was all about a mythical place where two crime syndicates were battling each other. Usual "social morals" were completely absent and everyone established their own ethics. Nevertheless, even those ethics could be changed based on someone else changing their ethics.

In this case, it was Wallace who changed the ethics first which led to Sheppard changing his ethics. I would not recommend this for people who want SGA to stay in single ethical/moral bent. The ethical switch is simply too radical for some to accept. For myself, I appreciate what the story is trying to do but really would like to live in a continual fantasy that our heroes are always going to be above this sort of thing.
  • He ain't heavy, he's my brother ...sort of.

The first (or second?) Sam-less episode of the season presents a moral dilemma for the McKay siblings as Jennie gets kidnapped in order to lure her brother out, poor Mrs. Miller gets the worst part out of this whole deal as Rodney receives a painful reminder of how wrong things could've turned out for Elizabeth should he been wrong about the nanites injected in her system. However this time it's his Jeannie we're talking about, the loving mother of Maddison and devoted wife to Caleb who'll always be Rodney's baby sister and so he offers himself to feed the only wraith capable to fix the mess that already cost the life of their kidnapper's daughter to save her life.

However, this is still Rodney we're talking about, the annoying head scientist from Atlantis, Colonel Carter's unrequited ...something but most of all the only brother John Sheppard would ever known and so John deliberately manipulates the kidnapper into offer himself to the one wraith capable to save Mrs. Miller's life thus saving the life of the only kind of brother he'll ever have in the process.
  • See Summary

Miller's Crossing was a great episode of Stargate Atlantis. This was a character driven episode where we saw the growth of Dr. Rodney McKay. It was really nice to see his sister again as well. She is just as smart as him, and ends up getting kidnapped because of it. McKay ends up getting kidnapped too, and the 2 have to solve a puzzle or else it's their lives on the line. There were some moral dilema's in this episode for some characters and it was fun to watch them deal with the situations at hand. I hope we get to see Jeannie again some time.
  • Brining Wraith to Earth?!?

If not thinking that they made a worst mistake ever - brining wraith to Earth it was pretty good episode. The way it started - I thought as the start promised, to be lovely try to solve the code episode but what came out - it was really... exciting. The kidnap, McKay and his sister all together dealing with the nanos and dying kid... A lot of excitement, specially the end.

On the writing, I think it was not the best episode as the story looked really chaotic and not well structured but they made it up with the excitement. And the illogic with the wraith on earth and letting man to sacrifice himself... It makes me wonder how could this would have been if those mistakes were avoided as it was great episode.
  • A little Dull i think.

It's always nice to see stargate atlantis but this was a little bit dull. But maybe this was an episode to launch a bigger event yet to come. Let us hope that.

And i have to say i can't understand why isn't general carter doing the scientific studies in any episodes that she did on SG-1 when in sg-1 she was always considered to be number one and rodney number 2, in great minds.

I know they don't what to make Carter a main caracter in the show with fear that people felt tired of her but a least some times it would be great to see her working with all the pressure again.
  • An ok filler episode using a tried and true filler plot something happens and back to Earth the team goes. Well at least part of the team Carter is strangely absent despite the

An ok filler episode using a tried and true filler plot something happens and back to Earth the team goes. Well at least part of the team Carter is strangely absent despite the big buildup about her joining the group. Points for a slight alteration in the plot device using a man who's daughter was dying looking for alien technology to heal his child. Knowing that Sheppard would do anything for his team was a nice addition or if you knew seeing those lengths he'd go were quite entertaining. Some good comic relief and as a filler to get us to the fall finale it was successful in my opinion.
  • A surprising strong episode

Last season's "McKay and Mrs. Miller" introduced Kate Hewitt (David's real-life sister) as McKay's equally brilliant sister Jeannie. Despite the potential criticism for the inherent nepotism, the episode worked very well and gave the writers an opportunity to show a different side of Rodney (or Meredith, if one prefers). This episode is both a follow-up to that earlier installment and a good continuation to "The Seer".

Frankly, I was worried that the writers would slip into familiar patterns and drop the ball on the whole Replicator code plot thread, despite the obvious urgency. Instead, finding a solution to that problem was the logical hook into this particular tale. It makes sense for McKay to recruit any and all help available, and his sister is a reasonable choice.

The focus on the potential medical applications for the Replicator nanites was also a nice touch. Not only did it serve as a compelling complication for this episode, but it served to remind the audience of Weir's situation among the Asurans. One would expect that this reminder is more than just a coincidence, considering that the mid-season cliffhanger is right around the corner.

Stephen Culp is a great actor, and he brings some dramatic heft to what could have been a paper-thin role. In fact, I found myself just as interested in his character as the usual suspects. Without straying too far from thoughts on the episode itself, I must admit that I was considering how well he would work on other shows whenever he was on-screen. Imagine a guest appearance on "Torchwood", with Culp and Barrowman facing off for a while!

The episode structure is actually quite deep, and there are some stunning questionable moral choices along the way. McKay is caught in the most obvious moral dilemma. Having been kidnapped to save someone's life against his will, he is forced to use the Wraith from the previous episode in much the same way, and he knows it. That makes the interaction with the Wraith a lot more interesting, as McKay runs through a list of justifications a mile long, all the while knowing how ineffectual they are.

Of course, that's nothing compared to Sheppard's decision to allow the Wraith to feed on a human "volunteer" to save Jeannie's life. Sheppard holds on to his justification at the end of the episode like a lifeline, and it definitely rocks McKay back on his heels a little. The episode comes down to several characters making questionable choices for the right reasons, and that kind of depth is greatly appreciated.
  • Somewhat disappointing

7.8
    I was so looking forward to this episode, since the first episode with Jeannie Miller was one of my favorites.

But after watching this episode, I felt it was quite a letdown. First, the good: got to see Jeannie and Madison again (and Walter). And...Jeannie is alive and well at the end and there was some of the bickering between McKay and her. And...what else? I have to think about it and maybe watch it again.

It was just a dark episode, very different from McKay and Mrs. Miller. The kidnappings, infecting Jeannie, death of the girl, the cure with the wraiths help, and what Sheppard did - I'm not going to talk about that here. The episode felt wrong to me.

Oh yes, where was Carter? No Carter again. But I'm not just talking about Carter in general...Where was Carter the scientist?? McKay and the group are stuck for ten hours straight, and during McKay's desperate moment they ask the wraith for help. Why was there absolutely no mention of Carter? After ten years of what Carter has done, her role as leader and "scientist no more" is beginning to bug me.
  • McKay and his sister get kid-napped by a head of a company in hopes that they could save his daughter; Sheppard and Ronon try and save them.

This episode was a step up from the previous ones this season. The first half was ok, but the second half was really good and had some cool twists. Yet again they ripped off SG-1 again, but this time it was acceptable because it was better than the one it rip-off. McKay and Sheppard got some pretty good character development with Sheppard becoming a bit shady and McKay becoming a little braver, well by his standards anyways. I do however love his relationship with his sister is really interesting and one of the elements of the show that has a more realistic feel to it.
  • back to earth...

What a pointless episode. I felt like I was watching SG-1 again...anyways, McKay's sister was kidnapped and he, Ronon, and Sheppard went to earth to attempt to locate her. McKay then gets kidnapped and he and his sister are asked to save a girl's life by programming nanites. I just thought the story in this episode was predictable and uninteresting. I did like the development of McKay's character, as well as John's. I thought it was interesting seeing John's decision to save McKay, but doom another. Overall, the story just sucked, but the characters salvaged what they could to make the episode watchable.
  • I'm not sure i've seen a more disjointed, uninspiring and badly written episode of any show (apart from maybe Painkiller Jane episode 16) this year.

1.1
    What on earth is going on with SGA? For the first 3 seasons it was brilliant and as it ran simultaneously with SG1 sci-fi fans across the globe were provided with a feast of outstanding programming. But not only did they ditch SG1 (which in itself was a major mistake) they've failed to come up any sort of plan for this season of SGA, and 'Miller's Crossing' is a paragon of that. Since this is a review i'd best fill you in on 'Millers Crossing' and spare you the pain of having to watch it yourself. The plot goes something like this. Rodney needs help with a small nanite problem he's having, so (reluctantly) emails his super clever sister. An Evil Man With A Kind Heart Really - who's head of a company that does work for the government - is monitoring Rodney's families emails and decides to kidnap Rodney and his sister. Evil Man With A Kind Heart Really wants them to fix some prototype nanites which he's implanted in his daughter - who's got cancer - but that aren't working. Rodney refuses to help, so Evil Man With A Kind Heart Really, injects Rodney's sister with the faulty nanites so Rodney has to help him or his sister will die. Evil Man With A Kind Heart Really says he'll let Rodney and his sister go if his daughter lives, but his daughter dies. Luckily Shepherd and Ronon find Rodney & his sister and arrest Evil Man With A Kind Heart Really. Back on base Rodney realises he can't fix his sister's nanites on his own, so calls on the evil Wraith from earlier in the series to help him out. After much convincing the evil Wraith agrees to help. Having nearly finished the nanite code the evil Wraith decides he can't carry on without feeding on a human. Shepherd tries to convince Evil Man With A Kind Heart Really to be the Wraith food. And because he's an Evil Man With A Kind Heart Really he decides to trade his life for Rodney's sisters and be the Wraith food. Rodney's sister is saved. The end. What a total load of crap.
  • I've NEVER given an episode of ANY series a rating so low before but...NO WAY IN HELL!!!

There's NO WaY IN HELL they let a WRAITH...let me say it again "A WRAITH" step foot on EARTH soil just to save RODNEY'S sister or ANYBODY'S sister for that matter!! Give me a break!! Oh yeah, I'm sure that Wraith has no way of sending any signal in anyway or anything to lead the Wraith to earth or pinpoint it's location..yeah, we know them well enough..send him on over there and let him get his lab on with good ol' Rodney because we may lose soldiers in battle all the time, but no way we let Rodney's sister die, oh hell no, that's unacceptable. If it means sending a Wraith, who by-the-way we've been making sacrifices for years in order to keep them from even a thousand lightyears from even the THOUGHT of earth's location, over to earth to save her, then that's just what we have to do. ....oh yeah! And if you get a chance, don't let ol' Wraithy Boy leave without samplin' some of that good ol' Earthling flesh. He'll love it! Way to go, JOHN!! omg.

I couldn't submit "0". I guess we can't-but they don't even deserve a fraction of a point for this episode because they blatantly disregarded their own storyline. What a shame. Well, I guess any series is allowed a couple of "Bottom of the Barrell" episodes in a 4 yr. span, but I must say-This is DEFINITELY a BIG one for SGA

..........omg...can you believe it?....a WRAITH on American soil....oh sure.....(oh let me stop, I could go on for days. lol)

I can't stop shaking my head in disbelief.