Stargate Atlantis

Outcast

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 01, 2008 on Syfy

• Great story but what are we doing here?

Great story but what are we doing here?

This story really has it all. A call to adventure. Constantly rising stakes. Chase scenes. Fights. Gun fire. A twist for an ending. All doled out with great pacing. Except why is this on Earth?

Sheppard's father has died prompting him to return to Earth. Ronan goes along for no apparent reason. We learn Sheppard was rich and rebelled against his father. I suppose that's meant to be a surprise even though we've known since the beginning Sheppard was a rebel and he's proved it for the past 3 ½ years. We meet Sheppard's ex-wife three times but there doesn't seem to be any chemistry with her or any former chemistry either. We also meet Sheppard's brother but scenes between them get cut off pretty quickly and don't really go anywhere.

While at the wake/reception, Sheppard gets the call to adventure. A human form replicator has been grown from the nanites we first saw in "Miller's Crossing." This replicator is on the loose but it's never clear what threats he poses to Earth. Both Sheppard and Rowan answer the call to adventure and start doing all the heroic things we've come to expect from them. And, it's all pretty good from an action/adventure standpoint. Except, why is Sheppard in charge? This isn't his command base. He doesn't have any particular expertise. The planet is crawling with military people who could handle this. You think someone would step forward and tell him to get lost. It's all clearly out of the boundaries you'd expect from the show. And, I would have to say that when a show starts looking for (and creating) an exciting premise that's outside its usual boundaries, it might be getting to close to "jumping the shark." Is this an admission that they can't serve up anything new in the Pegasus/Atlantis framework and have to turn back to Earth for a storyline?

I'll rate the episode high for being adventurous but will have to lower it for seemingly breaking format.
    Also, I'm not sure that what little gets added to the character is worth it.