Stargate Atlantis

Outsiders

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 17, 2008 on Syfy

• See Summary

Outsiders was a great episode of Stargate Atlantis. There was lots of action, drama, and intrigue. It was also good to see the Wraith still out there causing trouble as usual. I liked that the episode also had some character development. Its also good to see Beckett back in action, he was very missed. I look forward to seeing how the rest of the season plays out. This episode is good, however it adds to the list of episodes that don't seem to have any thing to do with a major story line, or of any significance at all. I hope that future episodes pick up the pace a little!!!
  • may i ask why episode 13 is being released before episode 12? just curious is it because 12 has a spoiler in it ? but just want you guys too know your doing a super sensational job with the series and can't wait for each episode

4.5
    may i ask why episode 13 is being released before episode 12? just curious is it because 12 has a spoiler in it ? but just want you guys too know your doing a super sensational job with the series and can't wait for each episode and more and more action to impact my life and i kinda think a few of the cast are alike with me so i want to see what they do next lol wish something like that could happen in real life because i wonder how we could stand up to an enemy like the wraith would we all have to wear bullit proof jackets to help stop the life sucking lol thanx from Slickinator
  • Loved seeing the whole team plus Beckett!

It was great to see Carson again! Poor Carson, feeling guilty for the Hoffan drug and doing what he can to help those affected by it, truely a noble cause. I was glad to see Team Sheppard show up to help Carson as much as possible, it was great to see everyone together again! But then trouble shows up and the rest of the show is about how they deal with that trouble and save not only themselves but others as well. Seeing Carson and Rodney together was great and seeing Rodney being the brave and optimistic one shows just how much he has grown since the first season! Overall, this episode was made of win! The TPTB need to serioulsy reconsider their decision to cancel this great show and renew it!
  • A capable diversion

After the overstuffed "Lost Tribe", this episode feels almost decompressed. It's ostensibly connected to the overall season arc in terms of the post-Michael status quo for the Wraith, but it's scope is relatively small. I suppose that's not much of a surprise. Thankfully, there was an update on the beloved Dr. Beckett and some clarification on the Wraith situation.

I'll address the Wraith situation first. During "The Queen" and "First Contact", I couldn't figure out why the Wraith would actually want to lose their ability to feed on humans. Was the line from McKay in the recap for this episode cut from "The Queen"? Because I don't remember the "spoiling of the food supply" issue coming up in that episode at all, despite the fact that it's probably the most important element of the debate. Without mentioning the potential cost to the Wraith if they don't change their ways, their motivation to do so is completely nebulous. (If it was mentioned in "The Queen", then I take full responsibility for missing the point!)

Whatever the case, this episode did remind me of that rather important detail, and I imagine it did the same for a number of other fans. I can only hope that it has something to do with subsequent events in the rest of the fifth season, because otherwise, it would be a waste of valuable time. I like the fact that Todd is not the only Wraith looking for a way to resolve challenges and gain advantage; it's far better to show us that fact than tell us in passing. It also underscores the reality that the Wraith are not just sitting back and allowing their species to fall into ruin. Michael, the Asurans, and the rogue Asgard may have dealt them serious setbacks, but they are still a threat.

Dr. Beckett is also working on Michael's plague, which shouldn't be surprising. It makes sense for Earth to dispatch him to research and resolve some of the issues that Michael set in motion in the Pegasus Galaxy, since he was involved in their creation. It touches on the sense of responsibility that Team Atlantis and the SGC must take in terms of the Pegasus Galaxy state of play.

Much of the episode is a meditation on trust, and we've seen it before. When things are good and there are no perceived threats, everyone gets along. Apply a little jeopardy, and the divisions begin. It's not surprising that some of the villagers would turn on the Balarans, but it is surprising that the Balarans would turn on Team Atlantis. It's all about survival in the end, even in terms of defeating the Wraith.

Thanks to some nice Rodney/Carson interaction (which is sorely missed), this episode manages to find some distinctiveness, despite the relatively bland and familiar story. Unfortunately, I doubt many fans will point to this as one of the best episodes of the season, and it's the kind of episode you easily skip when skimming through the DVDs.
  • Beckett is back..

Oh, I just love episodes with Beckett, I would say (exclude Whispers). So, I think when I realized this one has Beckett, I liked it from the first minute.

But that would not be enough - episode need much more than just chars we like. This one had action, yes, we had wining McKay (who never seems to be happy with anything) and I adore the whole Hoffan drug storyline from the start till now. So, I could say, we had much more. The start of the episode was strong and end too but somewhere in middle, the motion just got little slower.

I loved the new shades of Beckett we saw as I have never seen him stand up and speak his mind so loudly. So, great episode.
  • Carson and Rodney!

Well, it was a pretty good episode to me. It was nice to see the whole team of four together, along with Beckett. But why did Teyla not sense the wraith was in town? Anyway, Beckett must be physically fine now, for a clone. And the best part was seeing the Beckett and McKay duo again, and Beckett taking charge! It was also good to know more of the fallout of Michael's use of the Hoffan drug.

I'm really not sure I liked Sheppard's idea this time, and the fact that the village leader was also alright with the plan and participating. Sheppard couldn't come up with anything better? He tricked the opposing villagers and sacrificed their lives in order to save the refugees. While the villagers were a pain, they did what they thought had to be done, and I don't think they deserved that fate.